Some questions in Urwigo programming

javilo99

Hi everyone, I have some questions:

1- Can i put the accents on the messages (spanish language has a lot of accents) so I can see them on the Wherigo app?

2- This is more specific: I'm trying to do the cartridge in two languages optimizing the programming, but, when I create a command for a character to give an specificic item, if I change the name of the command (to not create two commands and simplify the programming)  the name of the command in the item still continues in the original language. I have seen that if i create a command to give an item in a character, it is duplicated automatically in the item. Any solution for not creating two commands?

Thanks in advance.

Hi javilo99,

On 5/12/2020 at 12:25 AM, javilo99 said:

1- Can i put the accents on the messages (spanish language has a lot of accents) so I can see them on the Wherigo app?

You must be aware that there is more than one Wherigo "app" and that each one differs from the other. Wherigo enabled Garmin GPSrs, iPhones, Android phones, Pocket PCs all have a different way of handling non-ASCII charsets.

Among all the builders I know of, only Earwigo is able to cope with it. In fact, sTeamTraen (author of Earwigo) wrote a routine launched onStart, detecting what brand is your player and rewriting characters' strings to make them readable by the current device. Being launched onStart, some strings can't contain accented characters (initial description for example).

On 5/12/2020 at 12:25 AM, javilo99 said:

2- This is more specific: I'm trying to do the cartridge in two languages optimizing the programming, but, when I create a command for a character to give an specificic item, if I change the name of the command (to not create two commands and simplify the programming)  the name of the command in the item still continues in the original language. I have seen that if i create a command to give an item in a character, it is duplicated automatically in the item. Any solution for not creating two commands?

Once again, Earwigo is able to produce true multilingual cartridges. Not sure what you mean by "it is duplicated in the item" but you could be speaking about the reciprocal command mechanism ("works with other objects / all objects")... Is Urwigo able to deal with it?

3 hours ago, Tungstène said:

Hi javilo99,

You must be aware that there is more than one Wherigo "app" and that each one differs from the other. Wherigo enabled Garmin GPSrs, iPhones, Android phones, Pocket PCs all have a different way of handling non-ASCII charsets.

Among all the builders I know of, only Earwigo is able to cope with it. In fact, sTeamTraen (author of Earwigo) wrote a routine launched onStart, detecting what brand is your player and rewriting characters' strings to make them readable by the current device. Being launched onStart, some strings can't contain accented characters (initial description for example).

Once again, Earwigo is able to produce true multilingual cartridges. Not sure what you mean by "it is duplicated in the item" but you could be speaking about the reciprocal command mechanism ("works with other objects / all objects")... Is Urwigo able to deal with it?

So it's not recommended to write accents? If I'm doing it in Spanish, i would like to put all the accents, because if not, some word may look weird without the special characters

Yeah, that's it, the reciprocal command mechanism. So, if i create a command in Spanish and rename it in English, if i click on the item, the name hasn't been changed, any idea about this?

Thanks

Sorry to ask but... Did you try it? (You are allowed to experiment).

Well, I did. This is what I learned (FYI, I never really used Urwigo before so this is new for me, too):

1. Urwigo takes care of the accented characters by removing them and replacing the letters by their ASCII equivalents (á becomes a, é becomes e, í becomes i, ó becomes o, ú and ü become u, ñ becomes n, ¿ and ¡ become ?). It is able to generate UTF-8 GWZ files but these are not usable by the Wherigo compiler (the only one you can use to offer a Wherigo cache). The name of another (better?) compilator is mentioned in the tooltip but it is forbidden to mention it in a geocache description (if you want it to be published, that's it).

By playing with Urwigo, I found a way to show accented characters which will work whatever your Wherigo player is: use images!

For example, the next line is an image, despite it looks like a line of text:

435702634_Screenshot_2020-05-13SpanishDict.png.7cabc2b52dcb7552d3665c2ca93358f9.png

2. Modifiying a Command button name just work. I had no problem with that. I wonder what you tried.

Here is a screenshot of my experiment with Command label switching (everything important is in the "Set" action):
    220896047_Capturedu2020-05-1321-51-33.png.80476f1bea18d594b5914729c291f5c5.png
    >> "Demo" is the name of the item which has a "English Command" button.
    >> "English Command" is the initial Name of the Command button.
    >> After this event (the one pictured here) is triggered, the Demo Command button's label change to "Spanish Command" BUT it continues to works (if I tap on it, the associated event is triggered).

I hope this helps.

2 minutes ago, Tungstène said:

I wonder what you tried

Oh! I see what's your problem. The reciprocal Command button label doesn't change...

In this case, coudl it be possible to create two sets of Commands (one in English and one in Spanish) and to enable one or the other depending on your language selection?

Something like that:

If Spanish is chosen Then

>> Set Item.English Command.Enabled=false

>> Set Item.SpanishCommand.Enabled=true

Else

>> Set Item.English Command.Enabled=true

>> Set Item.SpanishCommand.Enabled=false

End If

3 hours ago, Tungstène said:

Sorry to ask but... Did you try it? (You are allowed to experiment).

Well, I did. This is what I learned (FYI, I never really used Urwigo before so this is new for me, too):

1. Urwigo takes care of the accented characters by removing them and replacing the letters by their ASCII equivalents (á becomes a, é becomes e, í becomes i, ó becomes o, ú and ü become u, ñ becomes n, ¿ and ¡ become ?). It is able to generate UTF-8 GWZ files but these are not usable by the Wherigo compiler (the only one you can use to offer a Wherigo cache). The name of another (better?) compilator is mentioned in the tooltip but it is forbidden to mention it in a geocache description (if you want it to be published, that's it).

By playing with Urwigo, I found a way to show accented characters which will work whatever your Wherigo player is: use images!

For example, the next line is an image, despite it looks like a line of text:

435702634_Screenshot_2020-05-13SpanishDict.png.7cabc2b52dcb7552d3665c2ca93358f9.png

2. Modifiying a Command button name just work. I had no problem with that. I wonder what you tried.

Here is a screenshot of my experiment with Command label switching (everything important is in the "Set" action):
    220896047_Capturedu2020-05-1321-51-33.png.80476f1bea18d594b5914729c291f5c5.png
    >> "Demo" is the name of the item which has a "English Command" button.
    >> "English Command" is the initial Name of the Command button.
    >> After this event (the one pictured here) is triggered, the Demo Command button's label change to "Spanish Command" BUT it continues to works (if I tap on it, the associated event is triggered).

I hope this helps.

1) So, this means I cannot do an accented cartridge with Urwigo and publish it like a geocache? If I don't mention the other compilator, as you said, I can publish it anyway, right? I have made the UTF-8 GWZ and by the moment, it works great with no bugs.

2) So, yep, previously, I made this like your screenshot:

image.png.1b8ca4798d5b0665513e2f07357456bb.png

But when I run the emulator cartridge and choose the english option:

If you see the character commands:

image.png.22099ad67b84a8662a549bda85821f81.png

But if you move to the item:

image.png.40966793822a65b3821c6efab73c0cd5.png

I don't know why this happen. 

So, the only way I see to do this is to create two commands with two programming

image.png

Edited by javilo99

Hi!

10 hours ago, javilo99 said:

If I don't mention the other compilator, as you said, I can publish it anyway, right? I have made the UTF-8 GWZ and by the moment, it works great with no bugs.

The other compilator is the Wherigo Foundation one. It can be named here, because it is a Geocaching officiel Partner. BUT reviewers have instructions. Below is a copy of instructions they had in 2016 (and I'm pretty sure that nothing changed):

There must be a cartridge and it must be downloaded from www.Wherigo.com. There must be a link to the cartridge’s page on Wherigo.com in the cache page description. The CO may also add it as the Related Web Page* link if they wish. If the CO has stored the cartridge elsewhere (such as their own website) the cache cannot be published until it is correctly located. The Geocaching.com listing cannot link to wherigofoundation.com.

(I striked out the part about "Related Web Page" as you can't provide this anymore with any new geocache publication).

I didn't try this, but are you able to compile the UTF8 GWZ file directly on Wherigo.com? And, if you are, is the resulting cartridge satisfying?

Edited by Tungstène
Added the suggestion to try a UTF8 GWZ compilation on Wherigo.com.
13 hours ago, Tungstène said:

Oh! I see what's your problem. The reciprocal Command button label doesn't change...

In this case, coudl it be possible to create two sets of Commands (one in English and one in Spanish) and to enable one or the other depending on your language selection?

Something like that:

If Spanish is chosen Then

>> Set Item.English Command.Enabled=false

>> Set Item.SpanishCommand.Enabled=true

Else

>> Set Item.English Command.Enabled=true

>> Set Item.SpanishCommand.Enabled=false

End If

Yes, that was finally what I did, I was trying to change the reciprocal command button label with another instructions. So, that way, I only create one command for one action.

2 hours ago, Tungstène said:

Hi!

The other compilator is the Wherigo Foundation one. It can be named here, because it is a Geocaching officiel Partner. BUT reviewers have instructions. Below is a copy of instructions they had in 2016 (and I'm pretty sure that nothing changed):

(I striked out the part about "Related Web Page" as you can't provide this anymore with any new geocache publication).

I didn't try this, but are you able to compile the UTF8 GWZ file directly on Wherigo.com? And, if you are, is the resulting cartridge satisfying?

I will try and see how this works, since, this is my first Wherigo, though, I'm making a BIG ONE in my neighborhood

No matter what app I use to compile the cartridge as long as I follow the instructions to publish a cartridge. right?

Edited by javilo99

I have good news! I just tried and it works.

I uploaded an Urwigo's UTF-8 GWZ file to Wherigo.com.

I downloaded the resulting Pocket PC cartridge to an iPhone Wherigo Player and to a WhereYouGo (Android) Player.

In both cases, accents were preserved (this is not what Urwigo says but this is what experiment says) AND Command buttons were correctly renamed.

You can try it for yourself : http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=96954e4a-4cf0-45ed-a2da-2695b8561e78&invite=1

But I can't swear it will work with Wherigo enabled Garmin GPSr.

The cartridge doesn't work well in Windows Emulator and doesn't work at all in Webwigo emulator (maybe it's because Urwigo forces its emulator protection routine - I didn't ask for it but...)

Edited by Tungstène
Added the part about Garmin GPSr and about emulators.
19 hours ago, Tungstène said:

Well... Sorry... Have a look at how cartridges are uploaded on Wherigo.com website. You can't give them a GWC file. You'll have to upload a GWZ file and the website will compile it afterwards.

Yeah, I saw it yesterday. By the moment, I have completed 4 zones of my cartridge (in two languages) with all fix and corrected bugs about the programming and a few details and it works great in the Urwigo emulator

18 hours ago, Tungstène said:

In both cases, accents were preserved (this is not what Urwigo says but this is what experiment says) AND Command buttons were correctly renamed.

But...did you create one command for each language or just change the name label of the command buttons? I mean, because, the recprocal command, as you remember, didn't seem to work right

1 hour ago, javilo99 said:

But...did you create one command for each language or just change the name label of the command buttons? I mean, because, the recprocal command, as you remember, didn't seem to work right

I only changed the Name of the (reciprocal) Command button. This is the logic I pictured some posts above. I didn't alter anything.

It means that the emulators do it wrong but not the players.

Again, you should try for yourself. When you upload a cartridge to Wherigo.com, you don't have to make it public if you don't want to. It is convenient for real world testing purpose.

All this is just a sad demonstration of the inconsistency between each Wherigo players implementations (emulators are Wherigo players too, for that matter).

42 minutes ago, javilo99 said:

A quick noob question: If I publish my .gwc cartridge on Wherigo.com and it's inactive, nobody can download or search for it, right?

Right (unless you explicitly invite somebody the way I did in a previous post - the Wherigo.com website will give you a "mailto" link for this purpose).

Example:

634899932_Screenshot_2020-05-15SpanishLettersandAccentsaGroundspeakWherigoCartridge.thumb.png.8a356c9149e224dcc696c77804ba2bb0.png

Edited by Tungstène
Added a screenshot - Look at the yellow part!
16 minutes ago, Tungstène said:

Right (unless you explicitly invite somebody the way I did in a previous post - the Wherigo.com website will give you a "mailto" link for this purpose).

Okey, thanks. 

Edited by javilo99
Fix it