Photoshopped Virtual Finds

I was looking at one particular virtual cache recently and noticed a recent user's photo which seemed a bit strange.  It's a .gif format, not something most camera phones use, and it is clearly photoshopped.  Out of curiosity, I clicked on the user's profile and he/she has been jet-setting around the world in the last couple of months during this pandemic finding virtual caches all over the world.
Check out these great photo shopping skills...  Should this person be reported?  For a game based on the honor system, what's the point in lying like this.  
chop6.gif.d1b6b421a59bf194ac804c812679e314.gif

chop1.gif

chop1b.gif

chop2.gif

chop3.jpg

chop4.jpg

• Funny 4
2 minutes ago, HoochDog said:

I was looking at one particular virtual cache recently and noticed a recent user's photo which seemed a bit strange.  It's a .gif format, not something most camera phones use, and it is clearly photoshopped.  Out of curiosity, I clicked on the user's profile and he/she has been jet-setting around the world in the last couple of months during this pandemic finding virtual caches all over the world.
Check out these great photo shopping skills...  Should this person be reported?  For a game based on the honor system, what's the point in lying like this.

Great detective skills on your part and poor photo-shopping skills on theirs. I have no ideas what to say about it.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2

I love the last one!

There was a cacher a few years ago who was doing this, but his selfie looked like he'd deliberately made it an obvious fake and some of them were quite funny as a result. It was discussed on a Facebook group and I think in the end we worked out that he had visited the sites but just chose to do the pictures like that. In this case I reckon he hasn't visited them, at least not all of them.

If it was me and he did this on one of my caches then I would delete it, but I wouldn't go stalking him to report him - I'd leave it to the COs involved.

Edited by MartyBartfast
  • Helpful 1
18 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

I love the last one!

If it was me and he did this on one of my caches then I would delete it, but I wouldn't go stalking him to report him - I'd leave it to the COs involved.

Agreed.  I'd never harass another user about their integrity (what's the point?), but thought I'd share because the photo editing is so bad its funny.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, HoochDog said:

Agreed.  I'd never harass another user about their integrity (what's the point?), but thought I'd share because the photo editing is so bad its funny.

It's good to mention it to COs.  Maybe there's something innocent going on that's not obvious.  If the effect seems wide-spread, you may contact HQ anyway.  If Cache Owners are doing a lot of not caring if actual Geocaching occurred with cachers posting many fake logs, that creates the usual problems.

And thanks for the cool Thread idea!  :lol:

• Upvote 2

On 4/14/20 they logged a traditional in Brandenburg, Germany .

On 4/15 A virtual in Nevada.

4/16 a traditional in  Berlin, Germany.

The translated Nevada log reads....

"This interesting virtual was done in a team. In particular, my travel-loving daughter from our EAHC team was kind enough to take on this part. So it was still in the pre-Corona period. I deliberately saved the log for a current challenge project. Thanks for the nice job, stay healthy and BG from Berlin!"

Hmmmmmm :unsure:

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

This also gets into the: Do you log it when visited or when answers are sent. I know instances where people follow the second part and it could be months before they send answers, thus allowing them to fill stat holes. 

I know people that go to a challenge trail, sigh everything and then log the find when they "noticed that they finally qualify", which could be months later.

5 hours ago, HoochDog said:

chop6.gif.d1b6b421a59bf194ac804c812679e314.gif

That right there is Ireland. I have a similar picture. I might have to try my hand at Photoshop ;-)

4 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Reminds me of the old "floating hand" photoshopped finds you'd see on Locationless.  Some of them from angles that could only be achieved by helicopter (back then, pre drone cameras). Used to be long running thread on that...    

Indeed, there is nothing new about photoshopping to claim finds on containerless caching.  The only change is a picture of a smartphone instead of the 2002 version, which used the hand holding an eTrex Legend.

• Upvote 1

When I read the thread's title I thought "I bet its about a German cacher" ... sometimes I hate be right :rolleyes:. Anyway, looking at their profile, its totally obvious that they're cheating to keep a "one cache each day" streak running. Totally stupid and dishonest in my view, but if they feel they need to expose themselves as geo-liars ... let them :P.

6 hours ago, HoochDog said:

Should this person be reported? 

To whom?

The CO's of the virtuals? They almost certainly don't care, because otherwise they would already have deleted the bogus logs (the photoshopping is hard to miss)

Or to Groundspeak? They either don't care, or will say that's not their business.

32 minutes ago, HoochDog said:

Good eye.  I grabbed screenies from some of the more impossible ones that would require international travel during the pandemic.

BTW, I found it legitimately. I hope all of those that might think I was serious understand that :-)

Eat your heart out Jeff :-)

99bd2a51-611e-4bbe-baec-e4338b429cf3[1].jpg

• Upvote 1
On 5/7/2020 at 10:30 AM, RocTheCacheBox said:

"This interesting virtual was done in a team. In particular, my travel-loving daughter from our EAHC team was kind enough to take on this part. So it was still in the pre-Corona period. I deliberately saved the log for a current challenge project. Thanks for the nice job, stay healthy and BG from Berlin!"

Hmmmmmm :unsure:

Gotta keep those Find streaks going, which isn't easy during a Coronavirus shutdown! :ph34r:

Laughed out loud at lunch checking some of the impressively bad photoshop work.

There are a few serial streakers around here too.  Some of them cheat, over time it becomes pretty obvious. I really don't care what other people do, just makes me wonder why they invest so much time to maintain a fake stat.

He didn't even try on his special selfie with Signal! Takes locationless caching to a new level!

437f3e6a-a716-471d-8d5a-ef7d511cb3ac.gif

• Funny 2
  • Surprised 1
18 hours ago, brendan714 said:

He didn't even try on his special selfie with Signal! Takes locationless caching to a new level!

If you look through the gallery on GC8FROG, there's a lot of that going around.  Here's another.  Not technically photoshop, so much as taking a picture in front of the monitor (I've seen the Signal poster, and it doesn't glow like that).

0d01e392-c30e-4b7d-99d2-0681a2d3c209.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1