How many waymarks will be created at this location?

3 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

I can think of 2 more right now.

I bet Kansas Historical Markers won't be one of them unless the can tell me the real name of the person who took the picture and not this one they are getting off the internet.  We've already denied it.  
Also, signs of history should have NEVER accepted it in the first place as Kansas accepts all historical markers - again, Officers in a category not reading their own description and accepting everything so they can run up their own numbers later.  

I belong to two Kansas Geocaching groups where this picture was posted on Sunday.  It's the exact picture that now two someones have pulled off Facebook...

Edited by iconions
update
Just now, vulture1957 said:

it can't be a Kansas marker, already been done as a non-state historical marker. (can;t recall the proper category right now - Signs of History or some such)

It was signs of history - said so in my reply.  They shouldn't have accepted it, because the Kansas Historical Markers, which I lead, takes all markers.  Signs of History is supposed to only be for those states that do not accept all markers - just official ones like Texas.  
It was a totally different name that submitted for my Kansas markers this morning from Ontario, Canada.  I'm glad that I have really good officers that denied it and alerted me - I sent back a further denial for the internet picture.

I'm keeping a close eye out on this submission and this picture for the Kansas Historical Markers...

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, iconions said:

I bet Kansas Historical Markers won't be one of them unless the can tell me the real name of the person who took the picture and not this one they are getting off the internet.  We've already denied it.  
Also, signs of history should have NEVER accepted it in the first place as Kansas accepts all historical markers - again, Officers in a category not reading their own description and accepting everything so they can run up their own numbers later.  

I belong to two Kansas Geocaching groups where this picture was posted on Sunday.  It's the exact picture that now two someones have pulled off Facebook...

Oye! 

The Roadside link isn't working. I haven't found a correct link yet.

Edited by Max and 99
4 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Oye! 

In fact, the guy who posted in Roadside Attractions is the same guy I denied.  Must have a time machine or something to be able to get international flights into Kansas City or Denver, 9 or 10 hours roundtrip to get the picture without doing any other geocaching, flying internationally back to Ontario, and finding a dozen geocaches.  Pretty spectacular!  Best Part - not log MINGO itself....  
The guy who posted in Signs of History - again, how do you go to the middle of BFKansas to get a sign about Mingo and then NOT LOG Mingo!!!!  UMMM..... 'cause the person wasn't there......  Again, Mingo is one of those holy grail caches - that's why the flippin' sign went up.   

So far, two separate geocachers, who aren't really waymarkers, posting the same picture.  Same type of guys who start guessing codes for travel bugs to run up numbers, or ruined virtual caches for the rest of us in '07....

2 hours ago, iconions said:

I just saw it as a KS Historical Marker but before I could grab a screenshot it was gone. Fast!

51 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I just saw it as a KS Historical Marker but before I could grab a screenshot it was gone. Fast!

Sorry - I denied it.  Didn't know I did that fast.  The Signs of History waymark is also now denied.
I've sent a message to the officer of the Roadside Attractions and advised my findings.  I don't suspect that the waymark will be up too long as if nothing else, the person didn't give a good URL .  So, if you do a right click and copy the URL and paste it into WORD or EXCEL you get this - http://n/a  -  he didn't follow the category with a proper URL.  

So, it is my hope that SOMEONE will follow the rules and will post this in the Kansas category.  I know of at least one other category - Permanent Geographic Coordinates - that this would go in.  I would think that if someone is taking the effort to post this waymark, they are going to post themselves getting the cache at Mingo.  It's just too iconic.

6 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

So who will post the first legitimate Mingo-related waymark?

Good Question - not me as I'm headed in another direction for my upcoming (hopefully) vacation.  Sounds like Iowa might be opening up, although if that doesn't work out, I may darken your neck of the woods....  :)

35 minutes ago, iconions said:

Sorry - I denied it.  Didn't know I did that fast.  The Signs of History waymark is also now denied.
I've sent a message to the officer of the Roadside Attractions and advised my findings.  I don't suspect that the waymark will be up too long as if nothing else, the person didn't give a good URL .  So, if you do a right click and copy the URL and paste it into WORD or EXCEL you get this - http://n/a  -  he didn't follow the category with a proper URL.  

So, it is my hope that SOMEONE will follow the rules and will post this in the Kansas category.  I know of at least one other category - Permanent Geographic Coordinates - that this would go in.  I would think that if someone is taking the effort to post this waymark, they are going to post themselves getting the cache at Mingo.  It's just too iconic.

Superlatives is another category

• Upvote 1
On 5/5/2020 at 8:42 PM, iconions said:

In fact, the guy who posted in Roadside Attractions is the same guy I denied.  Must have a time machine or something to be able to get international flights into Kansas City or Denver, 9 or 10 hours roundtrip to get the picture without doing any other geocaching, flying internationally back to Ontario, and finding a dozen geocaches.  Pretty spectacular!  Best Part - not log MINGO itself....  

Photos aren't even required for the Roadside posting. It might have been better to not post a photo in this case. ?

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm curious about something on the marker: two years after geocaching started, the other 6 caches, placed earlier, did not survive? As of 2002 Mingo was the oldest surviving geocache? I thought back then they lasted longer. 

Much of it depends upon whether the cache Owner remained active. Even before we had local Reviewers, if a cache got stolen and the owner didn't replace it, GCHQ would archive it. Ammo cans were frequently used back then and stolen too.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm curious about something on the marker: two years after geocaching started, the other 6 caches, placed earlier, did not survive? As of 2002 Mingo was the oldest surviving geocache? I thought back then they lasted longer. 

When I started back in 2005, there was beginning to be a cry against of what was being termed "micro spew" or the proliferation of microcaches.  This was at the time when you could still see all of the caches in the state of Kansas on one map - I think there were like 1500 active.  There were also a lot more great virtual caches that I really liked to do - of course, we had people who liked to armchair cache and that ruined those virtuals.  I sure got to see some great places because of virtuals.  Now, I get to see some great places because of waymarks.

• Upvote 1