unable to write online logs with Chrome

cneumann98

I am trying to write my online logs for geocache finds that I have saved in my drafts. When I open the draft note, I just get the spinning green arrow/circle. So I tried to go to the cache page and post a "found it" log directly from there, but I'm getting the same thing - the spinning green arrow/circle. This is all in Chrome, which I always use. 

I have found a temporary work-around because Firefox will let me complete my logs. But why can I not log using Chrome? I have made sure it is up-to-date (it is) and restarted both the app and the computer with no success.

On 5/5/2020 at 9:22 AM, cneumann98 said:

I am trying to write my online logs for geocache finds that I have saved in my drafts. When I open the draft note, I just get the spinning green arrow/circle. So I tried to go to the cache page and post a "found it" log directly from there, but I'm getting the same thing - the spinning green arrow/circle. This is all in Chrome, which I always use. 

I have found a temporary work-around because Firefox will let me complete my logs. But why can I not log using Chrome? I have made sure it is up-to-date (it is) and restarted both the app and the computer with no success.

I just duplicated your process as described above and I had no problem using chrome to submit a draft and then later log it as a found. 

Edited by Max and 99
1 minute ago, cneumann98 said:

2 days later and I'm still getting the same spinning circle. This is so frustrating. It literally worked the day before and it still works on Firefox. I'm going to try one more thing and will update.

Okay, I tried two more things. I tried accessing a draft I wrote on a different day to see if there was just a glitch on that particular day - no difference. I also tried signing out of my GC account and then signing back in again. Also, no difference.

24 minutes ago, cneumann98 said:

Okay, I tried two more things. I tried accessing a draft I wrote on a different day to see if there was just a glitch on that particular day - no difference. I also tried signing out of my GC account and then signing back in again. Also, no difference.

Do you have extensions installed that might interfere?  Have you tried clearing cache and cookies? I don't have particular trouble with logs and Chrome.  But the more I find out about the "Google" company, the less I use any of their products.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, kunarion said:

Do you have extensions installed that might interfere?  Have you tried clearing cache and cookies? I don't have particular trouble with logs and Chrome.  But the more I find out about the "Google" company, the less I use any of their products.

I haven't changed a single thing since the day it worked (3 days ago) and the day it stopped working (2 days ago.) Once I clear my queue using Firefox, I'll try again. Maybe I've got a bad draft in there that's gumming everything up, although I'm not sure how. This happened to me last summer also, when the souvenir series was released and a bazillion people were on the website at the same time. It cleared up after a day then. I have no idea if those things are correlated or not. If it doesn't get better, I'll look at clearing cookies and the cache as well. Thanks for the advice.

I get a brief spin in Chrome as things are loading but nothing that would just outright fail and not move forward.

Let's start with some screenshots and what browser version you are using so we can get an idea of what exactly things look like. If possible right click - inspect the page when you get stuck, go to the console, and post a screenshot of the console output.

• Helpful 2

Well, just as with the last time this happened, I'm guessing there was some sort of glitch in one of my drafts that was causing the problem. I completed all of my logs using Safari and once my draft folder was empty again, I saved a different find as a draft and Chrome worked just fine. I have no idea how/why this happens, but it is the second time it has happened to me... and it's always when I have a significant number of saved logs I have to finish!

TL;DR - my problem went away on its own once I cleared my backlog draft logs. No idea why it has happened, but it's not the first time. Problem is solved for now.