Why no profile location?

A pet peeve for me is geocachers and waymarkers that do not put a general location on their profile. I see someone post a new waymark (I don't do much geocaching) and go to their profile and there is no location. For the US, why not at least the state? Or nearest large city?

It's not like I could stalk you  ... I only know your handle on here, not much to go on.

But there are a couple of Waymarking categories where you work with others in other places, but I can't tell if that person is anywhere near where I am needing help at.

When I see that, I just look at the cacher's placed caches.  This gives me a general idea.  If the cacher hasn't placed anything, I could get a flawed idea by the person's found caches.  I've observed I could click on a few random pages and make a guess, though the same approach would not work for someone who finds caches only when traveling.  As I said, the found caches part is flawed, but it might work under some circumstances.

Yes, though, I do like to see that someone has noted his or her home region.  I also understand some people do not either wish this information to be known, know how to update this information, know others use this for things, or care.

39 minutes ago, Ranger Fox said:

When I see that, I just look at the cacher's placed caches.  This gives me a general idea.  If the cacher hasn't placed anything, I could get a flawed idea by the person's found caches.  I've observed I could click on a few random pages and make a guess, though the same approach would not work for someone who finds caches only when traveling.  As I said, the found caches part is flawed, but it might work under some circumstances.

Yes, though, I do like to see that someone has noted his or her home region.  I also understand some people do not either wish this information to be known, know how to update this information, know others use this for things, or care.

Waymarking does not work like that. There are plenty of good reasons to submit waymarks far from home. They don't need maintenance and they are a great way to document your travels.

Of course, we would not neglect the great Waymarking opportunities just around the corner, but if you travel a lot and live in an already saturated area, chances are that all your waymarks are abroad.

4 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

A pet peeve for me is geocachers and waymarkers that do not put a general location on their profile. I see someone post a new waymark (I don't do much geocaching) and go to their profile and there is no location. For the US, why not at least the state? Or nearest large city?

It's not like I could stalk you  ... I only know your handle on here, not much to go on.

But there are a couple of Waymarking categories where you work with others in other places, but I can't tell if that person is anywhere near where I am needing help at.

Good thing my profile has my home location - right now I'm going through old pictures and finding a whole bunch of waymarks I missed.  :)  I found stuff from Texas to Illinois....  I guess that's what happens when one has 15 years worth of pictures.

Guess it's worse if Waymarking, where one could be in another state (or further) from their home location. 

Geocachers are kinda set by what distance they can maintain their cache (if/when needed).   

Most times I say "here", or "my area" in conversation in these forums, figuring that if someone really cared enough to know where "here" is, it's simply a click on the name.   Just a week or two ago, someone felt that wasn't good enough.     :) 

2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Guess it's worse if Waymarking, where one could be in another state (or further) from their home location. 

Geocachers are kinda set by what distance they can maintain their cache (if/when needed).   

Most times I say "here", or "my area" in conversation in these forums, figuring that if someone really cared enough to know where "here" is, it's simply a click on the name.   Just a week or two ago, someone felt that wasn't good enough.     :) 

Yes, your profile is minimum, just Northeast Pennsylvania. That covers a lot of area, but at least I know where you are located.  But many profiles are blank, or say something cryptic ("Land of the Blue Weaver" or some such). Where the heck is that??

If I'm looking for someone to help with an ISS Sighting or Where's In A Name, I can work with NE PA.

Edited by vulture1957