Newbie Question - Advice on Maps

HarryBGoode

Hi folks,

yesterday my family and I have made a small multi-cache. It was our first geocaching experience as family. I did some caches before, usually together with friends who are into geocaching. But yesterday was really fun and apart from geocaching, we also like just to go on a hike.

Long story short, geocaching could be a thing for us and now I'm thinking about equipment. My smartphone battery made it barely yesterday and as we plan to do this more often, a navigation device is needed. I won't discuss the recommendation, to use a Garmin device, but I like to ask a question ot two on maps. Especially because this might be a pricey topic.

If I did understand correctly, there are the following options for maps:

- Basic map (worldwide)

- OSM based map

- Pro Maps

The basic map is free, the OSM map is about 50€ for Europe, the pro maps, well...

So the question is, which map is needed, if I take geocaching somewhat seriously?

I take it, I can skip the basic map. So I will defintively start with the OSM based map. Should I already save for the pro maps later, or should I relax on the pro maps?

Thanks for any advice.

Kind regards

Harry