Compass not working

I have a Samsung galaxy s9 and I haven't geocaches for a while but today my compass is way out of whack. It says I am miles away the GPS is working to drive to the location but the compass is way off. If anyone knows how to fix it I would appreciate it. I have tried uninstalling the app and installing it again but that didn't work.

8 minutes ago, speedsterturtle said:

I have a Samsung galaxy s9 and I haven't geocaches for a while but today my compass is way out of whack. It says I am miles away the GPS is working to drive to the location but the compass is way off. If anyone knows how to fix it I would appreciate it. I have tried uninstalling the app and installing it again but that didn't work.

Both of our phones were way off today. I have an Android and my husband has an iPhone. His said 25 miles to the cache mine 199 ft and it was about 1 mi actually.  I found it ironic that this happened during blue switch day. 

Have had no end of trouble with my Galaxy S8's compass requiring recalibration.  It can be done, but you do have to search a bit for the technique.

When it says "The axis should be all moved..." and "Calibrate the Samsung..." it means to take it through the same 3 axis rotations that you would normally use for a Garmin with a 3 axis compass.  The device will buzz and flash green for each successful axis.  In the end, the color of the little circle will change, indicating successful recalibration.

Calibrating the Compass on Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8 Plus:

Make sure your Samsung Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 Plus is turned on.
Choose the phone app once you are on the home screen.
Keypad should be switched on
Type in *#0*#
Choose the “sensor” tile
Look for the “Magnetic Sensor”
The axis should be all moved for your Samsung Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 Plus.
Calibrate the Samsung Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 Plus by moving the compass sensor.
Keep on hitting the Back button so that the service can be exited.