Puzzle Codes

MindlessEngine

Hi! I am fairly new to puzzle caches and during quarantine I am trying get as many puzzle caches solved in Arizona (where I live) as possible.

There are several which have codes of numbers or letter or both. Some of them were easy to decipher using geocachingtoolbox and similar websites, yet several have me stumped and I have no clue what the code is called. I found a few website in which you enter a code and it tells you what the code is called but they don’t work very well and most the time are wrong.

Does anyone know a good website to show what the code is called?

Thank you!

anything helps.

3 hours ago, MindlessEngine said:

Hi! I am fairly new to puzzle caches and during quarantine I am trying get as many puzzle caches solved in Arizona (where I live) as possible.

There are several which have codes of numbers or letter or both. Some of them were easy to decipher using geocachingtoolbox and similar websites, yet several have me stumped and I have no clue what the code is called. I found a few website in which you enter a code and it tells you what the code is called but they don’t work very well and most the time are wrong.

Does anyone know a good website to show what the code is called?

Thank you!

anything helps.

I hope I can find some of your puzzle caches next time I'm in that area.

Discovering what encryption was used is a complete science unto itself.  I am not exaggerating when I say that people have spent years working on that particular problem.   I have a strong negative opinion about puzzle caches that use a cipher where you are supposed to figure out what it is, in general.  I have seen some very good exceptions, but mostly it's just lazy puzzle creation to make the solver guess what you were thinking.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
14 hours ago, fizzymagic said:

Discovering what encryption was used is a complete science unto itself.  I am not exaggerating when I say that people have spent years working on that particular problem.   I have a strong negative opinion about puzzle caches that use a cipher where you are supposed to figure out what it is, in general.  I have seen some very good exceptions, but mostly it's just lazy puzzle creation to make the solver guess what you were thinking.

I agree, but the exceptions are when there are clues/hints hidden somewhere on the cache page which might reveal the type of cipher is used.  For many puzzle caches, determining the nature of the puzzle is the puzzle.  

• Upvote 3