Lab cache length

Giorgis

Hi all,

I had a little question concerning lab caches (I was a little surprised I was nominated, and am now wondering my first thought is good).
In the guide, it is mentioned "Set up the Adventure so that all Locations can be visited within two (2) hours, ideally walkable." I was first thinking about a tour of five museums in my city - but while this can be done in two hours by car and probably by bike, it would definitely go over 2h on foot or by public transport (due to the frequency of buses towards two of the museums). And this does not include possible visits.
So, I am wondering if I should still go on with my idea (as the locations provide a cultural interest) and not regard the timing so much, or rather look for another concept? These lab caches are still rather new to me...

NB: for clarification - I do not intend to make any question inside the museums but in front of them. I would want to bring people to the location, not force them to visit or pay a fee.

I just posted one Tuesday. The locations are all  historic locations but  are not safely walkable.  They would require a   walk of at least 10 miles and require crossing  two six lane streets  as the town is now the second largest in the county outside the county seat. The locations all have convenient parking and take about  a half hour even in rush hour.

As a seeker, I appreciate the guide's advice. Lab caches are few and far between, so it will be quite common for people experiencing the lab cache will be visiting the area. Visitors often won't have a lot of time to devote to that one experience, and they won't be in a position to do different parts on different days. I think the 2 hour/walkable advice tries to keep the lab cache within what someone would be willing and able to accomplish in a single visit without getting distracted or bored.

I would ask you to consider that, but as long as you understand the point, I think you should feel free to give other considerations higher priority if you want. For example, enticing locals to spend 5 days visiting different museums they'd otherwise ignore strikes me as a noble purpose. A visitor succeeding might not be as likely, but it would be a great experience if they did.

Just as points of reference: I've done 2 and a half lab caches so far. One is within those limits. One is close, but I would say requires one ten minute drive to be done in 2 hours. The other is designed to force you to walk it: one stage requires walking to the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge with other stages at either end. I don't see how it could be done in 2 hours. It was certainly designed to take longer.

15 hours ago, Giorgis said:

Hi all,

I had a little question concerning lab caches (I was a little surprised I was nominated, and am now wondering my first thought is good).
In the guide, it is mentioned "Set up the Adventure so that all Locations can be visited within two (2) hours, ideally walkable." I was first thinking about a tour of five museums in my city - but while this can be done in two hours by car and probably by bike, it would definitely go over 2h on foot or by public transport (due to the frequency of buses towards two of the museums). And this does not include possible visits.
So, I am wondering if I should still go on with my idea (as the locations provide a cultural interest) and not regard the timing so much, or rather look for another concept? These lab caches are still rather new to me...

NB: for clarification - I do not intend to make any question inside the museums but in front of them. I would want to bring people to the location, not force them to visit or pay a fee.

The decision is yours.  There is no reviewer.  For adventures like the one you describe, I am glad that there is a smiley reward for each stop.

I recently tested an adventure lab for a friend. I had previously given them advice that they should stick to the two hours, but that spots could be further away. 

Then I tested the lab. It took almost exactly two hours and had me riding public transportation most of the time. While I enjoyed the places he highlited in his lab, it was quite tedious traveling so much. I changed my recommendations to him to make it quicker and more walkable, or out of town cachers probably wouldn't bother with several of the stops. Furthermore, If they don't complete the adventure at this time, a cacher can't leave feedback. 

I also own an AL that can be finished in about 30 minutes by walking. It's a place I enjoy walking around a lot. Friends have also enjoyed it.