Looks Like I Picked a Bad Time...

Lostboy1966

... to start building caches again.

image.png.7fea0b9a2a6ffcbaadf00b0af57524ee.png

After being out of the game for a long time I finally started tinkering with my tools, paints, adhesives, and other things in my shop to start putting out some new hides. I hid and submitted the first one already, only to realize it will not be published any time soon. I'm debating if I should just go pick it up. I have a few more ready containers that I guess will just sit in my garage until something changes.

Is there any estimation of when the hide ban will be lifted in the Connecticut area?

A decade ago, when I was still active, I remember caches had fairly regular traffic. Looking at other hides in my area now I see there is often months between finds. Has the game really quieted down that much? I understand Groundspeak has public safety as a priority, but I could really use something to take my mind off of, well, everything these days. And I've always preferred the hiding side of the game.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Be safe out there, everyone!

Edited by Lostboy1966

First and foremost, WELCOME BACK!  The Reviewers -- most of whom are veteran cachers - are seeing many familiar names from the past resurfacing.  The pandemic has given folks lots of time to think about what the enjoy, and many are returning to geocaching.  It is a good thing to come out of a bad situation.

As to when caches will be published again in Connecticut, this is a state by state / region by region decision.  Just like governors and local officials are deciding when to move to Phase 1 or Phase 2 of reopening their area to something more normal, so too do the local Community Volunteer Reviewers need to apply local judgment based on what's permitted or prohibited by local laws and orders.  Connecticut is likely to reopen later than Utah, so it may be awhile.

I recommend retrieving your cache and placing it once caches are being published again.  I peeked at your cache page, and your chosen location is too close to the actual location of a Mystery (Puzzle) cache.  So, there's no point in having it sit there at a spot that wouldn't be allowed by your reviewer.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
14 hours ago, Lostboy1966 said:

After being out of the game for a long time I finally started tinkering with my tools, paints, adhesives, and other things in my shop to start putting out some new hides.

I hid and submitted the first one already, only to realize it will not be published any time soon.

I'm debating if I should just go pick it up. I have a few more ready containers that I guess will just sit in my garage until something changes.

A decade ago, when I was still active, I remember caches had fairly regular traffic.

Looking at other hides in my area now I see there is often months between finds. Has the game really quieted down that much? I understand Groundspeak has public safety as a priority, but I could really use something to take my mind off, well, everything these days.

And I've always preferred the hiding side of the game.

Welcome back.  :)   Helpful info from Keystone.  

Well, now that you know you're too close to another,  you'll need to pick it up.    ;)

We've noticed that most any cache, once all the locals have hit them, they'll sit until vacationers or "just passing through" folks hit 'em.

Depending on area and D/T of that cache, it could be some time in-between.  We have two that are lucky to see a visitor a year now.

That doesn't mean there's no interest though, and there's a large group of people who only head to "lonely" caches.

Now that cities are kinda verboten for this hobby (the virus...), folks are hitting the woods and walking a bit more . 

- I feel that's a good thing...

All the "regular" caches you've placed, I'd bet folks will really like to see you come back .  :)

Edited by cerberus1
redundantredundant

Any update on when hides in Connecticut will be allowed again? I'm willing to wait longer after the 'partial open' of the State today where restaurants allow outdoor dining, but seeing way too many mask-less people crowded around tables. One location was where I used to host a monthly Event, and it broke my heart to see it so crowded. Just looking for an update on the plans from Groundspeak. Stay safe.

Geocaching HQ's plan is to empower local Community Volunteer Reviewers to make decisions to resume publication of caches, and under what restrictions make sense and are in compliance with applicable laws.  Since the Connecticut section of the Regional Geocaching Policies Wiki does not have a section on COVID-19 restrictions, your best option is to write an email to your local Reviewer.

• Helpful 1