Adventure lab Problem/question.

mty55

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but can't find a resolution in the Adventure section. My fiancee and I have the same phones. When attempt to do an Adventure lab cache, my phone reads out distance to destination in Miles and Feet. Her phone reads destination to in Kilometer and Meters. We are here in the USA so they should both be reading out in Miles/Feet. Any other app like the official geocaches app or google maps reads Miles/Feet. I found no setting to change this. These phones are both Pixel II. All the phones system setting are the same on both.  Her phone seems to be a little tougher to lock on to the questions too.

• Upvote 1
On 4/30/2020 at 12:05 PM, mty55 said:

My fiancee and I have the same phones. When attempt to do an Adventure lab cache, my phone reads out distance to destination in Miles and Feet. Her phone reads destination to in Kilometer and Meters. We are here in the USA so they should both be reading out in Miles/Feet. Any other app like the official geocaches app or google maps reads Miles/Feet. I found no setting to change this. These phones are both Pixel II. All the phones system setting are the same on both.  Her phone seems to be a little tougher to lock on to the questions too.

Bottom line up front: close the Adventure Labs app and look at her phone's default language settings in Settings > General management > Language and input > Language.  If it's just English, try setting it to English (United States) and the AL app should switch to miles/feet the next time she runs it.  As to the issues in locking on, that may be more tied to the phone's location settings, so y'all may want to tinker some more there.

Rambling discussion:

There doesn't seem to be an overall setting in Android settings for units; it appears to be specific by app.  But I did not see an option to set it in the Adventure Labs app.

After experimenting, though, I conclude that the app makes an assumption based on your phone's default language setting.

The default language on my phone is normally set to English (US), and the Adventure Labs app has been using feet and miles to display distance, even though I'm in Germany and use kilometers for everything else.

I just exited the AL app and changed my phone's default language to English (Germany) - apparently English can be regionalized, this may be a newer Android setting, at least, I don't recall seeing it before.  When I started up the AL app again, the app was still in English, but it displayed units in meters and kilometers.

I then exited again and changed my phone's default language to German (Germany).  When I opened up the AL app, it was alles auf Deutsch, and units were in kilometers.

I then switched the phone back to English (US), and then opened up the AL app one more time.  The app's language was back to English, and the units were back to feet/miles.

So.  It appears that the AL app pulls its default settings from one's phone's default language choice, including units of measurement.

As to the app settings, recommend your wife go into the main Settings > General management > Language and input > Language.  Selecting English will then bring up a list of different countries/regions.  Pick United States, make this her default language choice, and your AL app should then be displaying in miles and feet again.

Hope this helps.

• Helpful 5
14 minutes ago, hzoi said:

Bottom line up front: close the Adventure Labs app and look at her phone's default language settings in Settings > General management > Language and input > Language.  If it's just English, try setting it to English (United States) and the AL app should switch to miles/feet the next time she runs it.  As to the issues in locking on, that may be more tied to the phone's location settings, so y'all may want to tinker some more there.

Spot on!

Interestingly 'English (United Kingdom)' defaults to metric distances, which will upset some people!  But then it is a horrible mixed bag over here...

I struggle to visualise somebody's height in anything other than feet and inches, yet always measure things to the millimetre.  Similarly, only stones and pounds give me a decent idea of somebody's body-weight, but I'm a pretty good judge when it comes to a 20 kg baggage allowance.  Although I 'think' in miles for longer distances, I am comfortable with kilometres, but a speed in km/h takes more thought than it should.

Beer (and even milk) is best in pints, though wine comes in 750 ml bottles.  I also buy my petrol in litres, but fuel efficiency in anything other than miles per gallon is just meaningless.  Fortunately, I was young enough when decimalisation came in, to get over pounds, shillings and pence, though I do remember feeling short-changed when the contents of my bulging piggy bank only gave me one 50p coin! :-(

I think I need help!

• Helpful 1
18 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

Spot on!

Interestingly 'English (United Kingdom)' defaults to metric distances, which will upset some people!  But then it is a horrible mixed bag over here...

I struggle to visualise somebody's height in anything other than feet and inches, yet always measure things to the millimetre.  Similarly, only stones and pounds give me a decent idea of somebody's body-weight, but I'm a pretty good judge when it comes to a 20 kg baggage allowance.  Although I 'think' in miles for longer distances, I am comfortable with kilometres, but a speed in km/h takes more thought than it should.

Beer (and even milk) is best in pints, though wine comes in 750 ml bottles.  I also buy my petrol in litres, but fuel efficiency in anything other than miles per gallon is just meaningless.  Fortunately, I was young enough when decimalisation came in, to get over pounds, shillings and pence, though I do remember feeling short-changed when the contents of my bulging piggy bank only gave me one 50p coin! :-(

I think I need help!

Well, you can always switch over to English (US) for your Adventure Labs, and experience life in the Imperial system once more.  Soon, you may give yourself license to give some more American color to your world, rather than just the aluminum gray of the metric system.  Once you realize the potential of American English, the sky's the limit.

:anibad:

• Funny 3
17 hours ago, hzoi said:

So.  It appears that the AL app pulls its default settings from one's phone's default language choice, including units of measurement.

Yes, and to me that's one of the silliest "improvements" in the current development of software not only regarding smartphones. Even on the PC some recent programs just take the OS setting for language and you are not able to switch to a language you just prefer even the software contains a number of language alternatives :mad:

23 hours ago, hzoi said:

Rambling discussion:

There doesn't seem to be an overall setting in Android settings for units; it appears to be specific by app.  But I did not see an option to set it in the Adventure Labs app.

After experimenting, though, I conclude that the app makes an assumption based on your phone's default language setting.

The default language on my phone is normally set to English (US), and the Adventure Labs app has been using feet and miles to display distance, even though I'm in Germany and use kilometers for everything else.

I just exited the AL app and changed my phone's default language to English (Germany) - apparently English can be regionalized, this may be a newer Android setting, at least, I don't recall seeing it before.  When I started up the AL app again, the app was still in English, but it displayed units in meters and kilometers.

I then exited again and changed my phone's default language to German (Germany).  When I opened up the AL app, it was alles auf Deutsch, and units were in kilometers.

I then switched the phone back to English (US), and then opened up the AL app one more time.  The app's language was back to English, and the units were back to feet/miles.

As to the app settings, recommend your wife go into the main Settings > General management > Language and input > Language.  Selecting English will then bring up a list of different countries/regions.  Pick United States, make this her default language choice, and your AL app should then be displaying in miles and feet again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help. It worked. I was going round and round with this issue for a couple weeks' I even had Google customer supprt working with me on the issue. They touched the issue with the keyboard language but it didn't resolve it. Maybe my fault. Your explanation was more real world.   We're good to go now. Sad part the the phone in question is going out of service tomorrow with the new phones come in.

Thanks again.

About our Imperial/Metric Distance Units preference, maybe the Adventure Lab App could use our choice selected in the Account Settings of our Geocacher Profile.

2035743637_GCAccountSettings.jpg.60e5b55da5bbcf84566a6ca1a42e0e70.jpg

Or allow the choice directly within the Adventure Lab App.

But determining a value base on a language and a country of the phone's setting is certainly not a solution that will satisfy all geocachers.

• Upvote 1

Using the adventure lab app, the distance goes down but my compass locks in the wrong direction…anyone else have this problem and is there a fix.  I attempted the figure 8 movement to reset the compass to no avail.  I deleted and reset the app several times, reset the phone and nothing seem to work, the compass still locks.  I enjoy this app but can’t get it to work properly.  Iphone SE compass works in geocaching app and cachly app and internal compass works perfectly.

27 minutes ago, cpdlt said:

Using the adventure lab app, the distance goes down but my compass locks in the wrong direction…anyone else have this problem and is there a fix.  I attempted the figure 8 movement to reset the compass to no avail.  I deleted and reset the app several times, reset the phone and nothing seem to work, the compass still locks.  I enjoy this app but can’t get it to work properly.  Iphone SE compass works in geocaching app and cachly app and internal compass works perfectly.

I'm not sure what this means: compass locks in the wrong direction? Can you illustrate it in a screenshot? I'm just curious.

37 minutes ago, cpdlt said:

Using the adventure lab app, the distance goes down but my compass locks in the wrong direction

I have seen this happening on Android phone. I have to use distance only and work with a map, not a big deal. Just think how easy you get more finds by playing this "reverse cache" side game. :D

Mine does this with the Android App. The compass pointer on the screen is silver in colour with a red tip. All my mapping apps show the red tip pointing in the direction of travel.  When using the Adventure App, the red tip points 180 degrees in the wrong direction.