Has anyone seen ball caps, hats, boots, etc on fence posts?

T0SHEA

Through our travels in many parts of western Canada and parts of the states we passed, mostly rural farms and ranches, that have placed on the top of fence posts with old cowboy hats or boots, ball caps, hard hats, etc.

We have stopped a few times to take pictures. 

Just yesterday I found a row of ball caps, and thought I needed to take some pictures. 

276417843_aFruitvaleHats(3).JPG.9dc3622034eed720c4971b17729fe62c.JPG

1638306306_aFruitvaleHats(2).JPG.314993a0688b3b689d958dfee0a33f26.JPG

Edited by T0SHEA
  • Surprised 2
7 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

Through our travels in many parts of western Canada and parts of the states we passed, mostly rural farms and ranches, that have placed on the top of fence posts with old cowboy hats or boots, ball caps, hard hats, etc.

Are these from trespassers, following something I see on occasion here in Texas, the carcass of a coyote slung across the fence?

I have seen a number of fences with old shoes and boots strung along it. Also one with toy frogs. And another with shot feral animals. I have taken photographs of these, but at present the only one I can locate is of a gate hung with shoes, not a fence. There is also a tradition of hanging stuffed toys on trees in some parts of Australia. This happens along the Kings Hwy headed from Canberra to the coast.

Shoes.jpg

• Upvote 1

I found an article about what is now known as "Boot Hill", where a young girl drove her father past the fence line with old cowboy boots, often when taking him to the doctor. He requested when he passed, he wanted his boots placed there. This is an interesting story.

Echo Press - You Asked: What is the story behind the boot fence? 

354732878_aboots.JPG.52ca666d4b3d65f1983a4df14164715a.JPG

Edited by T0SHEA
11 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

Naw! A hockey player lived there and he scored goals in bunches, often three at a time. :):D:)

Given that I'm the Detroit native and you're referencing hockey, you understand that we have a different kind of hat trick, though, which might be relevant:  It's a goal, an assist, and a carcass from the opposing team hung across the boards.  Now, in the spirit of the conversation, I offer something similar, at the final resting places of cattle legend, Charles Goodnight, and his wife, Mary Ann.

Untitled.jpg

A lot of times, especially here in the Sunflower State, rocks are put on top of wooden fence posts to keep woodpeckers from building nests or just generally tearing the crap out of the posts so they have to be replaced.  Metal posts are expensive and if you can get away with a wood post you made yourself and a rock, you're ahead of the game.  In the midwest, you'll also see them painted purple - "No Trespassing"....  It's not to cheer for K-State orTCU....  :)  

Edited by iconions
grammar
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, ScroogieII said:

I inserted that hoping to jog your memory. Do you have those pics? I don't think I have them.

BTW - Where did you find the fence that you posted the pics of?

If I have those pictures of Longview  they are on my desktop. It is in storage as we speak. 

The pictures I posted are just north of Fruitvale, going to Salmo.