What does your home geocaching territory look?

Is it built up, is it rural, or somewhere in between? I find it interesting seeing views of the cities, towns or countryside where people live and geocache. It would be great to see panoramic views of your home territory where you live and geocache.

We can't travel at present, but we could share photographs and travel with those.

These are views of Canberra, my home territory, a city of about 400,000 people.

View from Mt Taylor.jpg

View from Mt Ainslie.jpg

View from Red Hill 2.jpg

Edited by Goldenwattle

Considering that we're on the Front Range here, and cache both east and west, there's no easy answer to your question.  A short ride will generate changes of thousands of feet in elevation, and hence, a very different look depending upon which way you go.  Half an hour either way will take you into the mountains or out into some pretty boring looking prairie land.  Here's a pic of the 'Flatirons' from one spot in the county, and it just goes up (or down) from there.

Flatirons.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ecanderson said:

Considering that we're on the Front Range here, and cache both east and west, there's no easy answer to your question.  A short ride will generate changes of thousands of feet in elevation, and hence, a very different look depending upon which way you go.  Half an hour either way will take you into the mountains or out into some pretty boring looking prairie land.  Here's a pic of the 'Flatirons' from one spot in the county, and it just goes up (or down) from there.

Flatirons.jpg

Beautiful photograph. Do you live in that town on the left?

Not my picture from this virtual about 3 miles from downtown Indianapolis.  It's in a national cemetery.  Indianapolis is mostly flat so this is probably one of the few higher points that provides much of a view, unless you're willing to climb a tree.  On the far right in the distance is Lucas Oil Stadium, home to the Indianapolis Colts, an American football team, as well as the current home field of our minor league football (soccer) team, the Indy Eleven.

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 8.46.46 AM.png

Edited by coachstahly

The view from a local park, lots of hiking trails, earthcaches, traditionals, puzzles, and one 8 stage 8 mile hike multi that I have yet to conquer!  My home is somewhere in the middle of the photo, and that's Mt. Diablo in the background, another great hiking opportunity with many trails and caches to find!

Rockville.thumb.jpg.7257231a9eedd787426930e7001150d1.jpg

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Upvote 1

This is what the area where our "vacation house" is located looks like.  It's in the western catskills of NY.  That green lawn in the middle left of the photo is my backyard.  There's a guard rail at the spot where I took this photo.  There's a cache with a view of the river about a mile upstream from this spot and another about 3/4 of a mile downstream.  The next closest cache is 5 miles away.

KPXtuJZ.jpg

• Love 1

An uncommon view of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  Looking down the Allegheny River toward the city from the heights at Etna.  The skyline is just visible through the clouds.  This shot was from an approach to a cache hidden on a terraced cliff about 20 to 30 feet lower.

IMG_1213 Red Dress View.jpg

Wish I could post one, we move about every two years, so we don't have a "caching area." Since I started caching in 2012 I've lived (and cached in)

New London, CT

Seattle, WA

Newport, RI

Juneau, AK

Virginia Beach, VA

Sure we'll have a few more places under our belt before we settle down for good.

5 hours ago, STNolan said:

Wish I could post one, we move about every two years, so we don't have a "caching area." Since I started caching in 2012 I've lived (and cached in)

New London, CT

Seattle, WA

Newport, RI

Juneau, AK

Virginia Beach, VA

Sure we'll have a few more places under our belt before we settle down for good.

As I child I move about a lot too. Home is where you live at the time, so show your home area. That's your territory, where your present house is.

We have a lot of diversity in our area. We are in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains, in the middle of Washington State. We're considered a shrub-steppe, which is basically just above a desert. Most people think of Washington as being rainy, but that's the west side (and even that is not as rainy as a lot of other places in the U.S.). We only have to travel a short distance to be in the mountains. Since we are in the center of the state, we only have to travel around three hours in any direction to see pretty much any of it.

Here's a picture I took of our valley from a cache we were finding for our 18th Geo-anniversary a few days ago:

20200427_183638 2 resized 5.jpg

• Upvote 1

It's varied a bit over the years. Currently, and when we started, it's Wiesbaden, Germany.  Below view is from the Neroberg, looking south over the city and the Rhein valley.  We used to have an apartment downtown, right around the church that is just to the right of center (twin black and white spires).  Before that, we lived someplace behind the black high rise toward the left.  Our place now is off the left edge a bit.

BD-Wiesbaden-20130620-Panoramabild.thumb.jpg.16fad291c59c77017e18c16048b0b0ce.jpg

(Not my photo, for the record, but it's a nice view.)

Other geocaching homes: Darmstadt, Germany; Charlottesville, Virginia; Montgomery, Alabama; Medicine Park, Oklahoma; El Paso, Texas; and Newport News, Virginia. 

Would have been Sierra Vista, Arizona, too, if I'd been smarter and started geocaching when I first heard about it.

Edited by hzoi
On 4/26/2020 at 9:48 PM, STNolan said:

New London, CT

Seattle, WA

Newport, RI

Juneau, AK

Virginia Beach, VA

Ha! I've had home zones in the Netherlands, Norway, Qatar, Denmark, Qatar, Wales, Scotland and the Netherlands again. Quite honestly, my home zone tends to look very uncached though. I am just not that interested in city micros. And outside things don't look much better. I'm more interested in county challenges and the likes, pick one, then go for a walk there along some nice caches, or just do a 20km multi. Fortunately I still have some counties near my current home town with lockdown and all.

• Upvote 1