Wish list

Gill & Tony

I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where we can all post our ideas for future developments in Adventures and lab Caches.

If we have just one idea per post, those who agree with the idea can like the post, that way we get an indication of how popular the ideas are.  Maybe TPTB will then consider the most popular ones for future developments.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

I would prefer that those who are adding 'bonus caches' NOT use QR code links to their adventure on their bonus cache page.  Most of us don't carry two phones in the field.

A simple link from the bonus cache to the adventure on the bonus cache page would be a lot more helpful.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, ecanderson said:

I would prefer that those who are adding 'bonus caches' NOT use QR code links to their adventure on their bonus cache page.  Most of us don't carry two phones in the field.

A simple link from the bonus cache to the adventure on the bonus cache page would be a lot more helpful.

I know not all, but some people (including us) make it so that if you click on the qr code, it sends you to the adventure lab cache page.

47 minutes ago, HHL said:

How could you know that a log is fake? Actually you can't.

Well, if someone logged a cache in, say, Berlin or New York immediately before logging the first stage of my AL in NSW, it would be a pretty good hint.

Also,the answer to my first stage used to be a small number.  Someone logged the first stage only.   They couldn't guess stage 2.

So, actually, I can.

8 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

Well, if someone logged a cache in, say, Berlin or New York immediately before logging the first stage of my AL in NSW, it would be a pretty good hint.

It's a good hint that one of the two logs could be fake. But you can't say for sure which one.

14 minutes ago, HHL said:

It's a good hint that one of the two logs could be fake. But you can't say for sure which one.

Well, his home location is in Germany, his finds on the day before, day of and day after the Australian find are in Germany and he has no other finds in Australia so I can be sure which one is false.  And before you get really pedantic, the masculine includes the feminine and the singular includes the plural.

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 3
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, HHL said:

How could you know that a log is fake? Actually you can't.

I have dozens of logs on my ALC where I can tell that they are definitely fake. Why? The location is indoors, and not open 24/7. When the ALC is logged at times when it's closed, the logs are fake. Also, the ALC has 5 locations. It's physically impossible to visit all of them, find the info and enter the answers in less than 10-15 minutes (if you run at full speed between the stages). Yet, some people logged everything within 60 seconds.

• Upvote 1
On 6/4/2020 at 12:38 PM, yxza said:

Hello,

since Groundspeak won't show us the Adventure Lab caches on the standard map it would be very nice if one could browse for them at https://labs.geocaching.com/.

It is a bit frustrating to just see then on the phone and also makes it a bit difficult to plan your trips.

this is quite tired some .. for example there are 2 or more labs in the same general area, so as you go, you need to leave one advanture, enter a different one find the place, log it and agan .. would be nice to see and log them all from the map, without the need of swithching between adventures .. 

also, it would be nice, if the IOS app would stop killing iTunes .. whenever I listen music, and start adventure lab it stops the music .. is there any lab with sound??

• Upvote 3
19 hours ago, Tungstène said:

There are labs with videos.

And plenty of apps with multi-media allow audio to remain active in the background until the media is requested to play - rather than force-stopping all background media merely on foregrounding the app in question. It can be done...

• Upvote 1

How are you able to tell what time players are logging these labs and also WHO is logging them unless they write an activity log?  Earlier in the year I was able to download a report with the player names and times but that access was removed and dumbed down into the most basic report showing only the number of times each stage has been logged as well as a count  of total stages completed.  This access was removed in the name of GDPR.  Baer2006, perhaps the finder is only making their activity log when the location is closed and did the stages when the location was open.  If you don't write an activity log at completion you do have the opportunity to write it later.  But again, how would you be able to tell with the basic stat data you are given?  There is no data provided for actual logging time of the stages.

3 hours ago, Twinklekitkat said:

Baer2006, perhaps the finder is only making their activity log when the location is closed and did the stages when the location was open.  If you don't write an activity log at completion you do have the opportunity to write it later.  But again, how would you be able to tell with the basic stat data you are given?  There is no data provided for actual logging time of the stages.

That's my point - I cannot tell now, without the info about the stage logs. But my ALC has been active since April 2019, so that I had many months of data with individual log time stamps. And in these data I could identify the armchair logs. Whenever I saw the armchair logs going up, I changed the question to the first stage - just because I can :P. That was my way to compensate a bit for the fact that I can't remove obvious armchair logs ;) .

43 minutes ago, baer2006 said:

That's my point - I cannot tell now, without the info about the stage logs. But my ALC has been active since April 2019, so that I had many months of data with individual log time stamps. And in these data I could identify the armchair logs. Whenever I saw the armchair logs going up, I changed the question to the first stage - just because I can :P. That was my way to compensate a bit for the fact that I can't remove obvious armchair logs ;) .

OK - I thought you were saying you had this capability NOW.  I enjoyed reviewing that data before it was taken away.  I really don't get why it was removed.  I understand about privacy but what were we really getting that was so private?  For anyone who created a lab without a bonus there is absolutely no way for them to know who may have completed it unless the seeker writes an activity log.  Mine is currently 59% of those who completed it wrote a log.

So, here is wish #1:  If GS is not going to give us the info back in the CSV file, can we at least get the user name of who completed the adventure regardless of whether they write a log or not or rate the adventure.  Just give us the user name they logged in with to complete the adventure along with the date and their find count in the activity log on the app.  The same data provided for those who DO write a log.  

Wish #2: Agree on the opening of the app killing iTunes/iHeartRadio, etc.  That irks me.

Please update the "Leaderboard" page.  My AL has been completed 16 times. There are only 10 Activity logs.  I have no idea who the other 6 who completed the AL are.

The Leaderboard shows the first 10 who finished the AL.  Why not show everyone?  If it's GDPR, why are we getting to see the first 10?

I can see the FTF and "Top 3" finders of each location. Why not all? 

• Upvote 1

More Wishes:

1. When using the Explore tab (bottom left) I can move the map and then "Search this Area" to be shown all the Adventure Lab pins at a new location.  I then have to open each pin to see the adventure name and details. Would love to use the hamburger menu in the top right of the Explore tab to see these adventures as a list but unfortunately when I do this it just reverts back to my home coordinates.

2. As an Adventure Lab player, on a completed lab I can go to the activity log, edit my log and view the star rating for the adventure.  Looks like anything above 4.5 is shown as 5 stars on the home screen of the Adventure but by choosing to edit my log I can see that an Adventure may be rated 4.8 of 5 stars even though displayed as 5 front facing.  I would like the ability to see this in my own adventure. I suppose I could if I completed my own Adventure as many have but I haven't yet done this. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

I wish they had not just changed the colors for found labs. With both found and unfound now the same color, it's harder to distinguish. I do not like this change.

Neither do I.

In my homezone, the ALCs pop up all over the place, often with partially overlapping icons if you have the map at a useful zoom level. Having new ones stand out in bright orange among all the completed ones with their green checkmarks was very convenient. With the design change, this convenience has gone without any gain.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
8 minutes ago, Twinklekitkat said:

The gear icon means it was a lab published within the last 30 days 

We guessed the same. Is this an official answer or are you guessing too?

A fellow geocacher sent us a screenshot where another icon is visible. This could be a private or a test Adventure... Screenshot_20200812-132954.jpg.cb46fa3e964908e29c701b62cc4d6fe3.jpg

Edited by Tungstène
Another icon.

- I would like a way to hide found AdLabs from the map and the list view.

- I would like a way to ignore specific AdLabs.

- Please reduce the 30 days time range showing the new button to a more reliable week range. And please change the icon to somewhat that indicates "New".

- Please indicate new AdLabs in the list view as well.

Hans

Edited by HHL
  • Upvote 5
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Twinklekitkat said:

I’m not guessing. That‘s what it says in the App Store when you click an app to see what features the latest update brings.

Thank you to show me where I should have looked. It's so obvious! I'm ashamed.

Some geocachers in my local Facebook group had a notification telling us the same information when starting the Adventure Lab app after upgrade. But most of us hadn't. So nobody

in my group thought to go and see what the "store" had to say about it.

On 8/12/2020 at 3:19 PM, HHL said:

- I would like a way to hide found AdLabs from the map and the list view.

- I would like a way to ignore specific AdLabs.

- Please reduce the 30 days time range showing the new button to a more reliable week range. And please change the icon to somewhat that indicates "New".

- Please indicate new AdLabs in the list view as well.

Hans

- I would like to hide found AdLabs too, in some areas it is pretty crowded.

- I would like to have back the grey for completed and any other fancy color for not completed.

- If the developer insists on color, maybe that would a suggestion: transparent (soft) green = completed. Yellow: started. Red: not started.
- It would be helpful to see all waypoints of all AdLabs at once by an on/off button (like with Multi caches in some off-line Apps which can do that).

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
On 8/27/2020 at 3:12 PM, Max and 99 said:
On 8/23/2020 at 11:00 AM, sufeea said:

Be able to see adventure lab hides in a user's profile page

Do you mean not just a number, but the actual names and locations and specifics of Adventure Labs that someone has created?

That would be pretty handy right now. I know quite a few of my caching friends were awarded AL credits but trying to see what if anything they've published isn't easy, especially if they haven't added a bonus cache.

• Upvote 1
On 4/24/2020 at 8:51 PM, Gill & Tony said:

Give Adventure CO's all the features of ordinary caches

Let us delete obviously fake logs.  All the things that CO's can do for other cache types.

Maybe I'm missing something...but in order to even log it, you have to answer all the questions correctly AND be in the correct location. Not to say it's impossible to 'cheat'...but I imagine it's exceedingly rare with ALs.

1 hour ago, J Grouchy said:

Maybe I'm missing something...but in order to even log it, you have to answer all the questions correctly AND be in the correct location. Not to say it's impossible to 'cheat'...but I imagine it's exceedingly rare with ALs.

There is a thing called "Fake GPS". With this you can "move" your smartphone to anywhere you like. Combine this with lists of AL solutions on Facebook etc., and you get armchair logs.

To those of you whose ALs were armchaired by "the very first", perhaps the questions weren't site-specific enough to avoid being guessed from the comfort of home?  Obviously there wasn't a Facebook or other site where they could have received coordinates from someone else, since there wasn't a 'someone else'.  I had no doubt at all that my own AL couldn't possibly be armchaired by the first to log it.  No possible way to 'look up' the answers to several of the stages.

• Upvote 1