Abandoned Rail Depots

elyob

On 4/22/2020 at 9:58 AM, elyob said:

Already working on a mystery, I had checked possibilities along the former PGE where certain waymarkers recently explored.  With a provided clue (GNR), I'm now thinking stateside or very close to the border. 

Me and my big mouth. I shouldn't have given you that clue.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I can get to it before you. :D

The weather's getting better by the day. If I thought it was a good idea to try back country roads before May, I'd head out that way. As it is, I think I'll stay close to home for a bit longer.

How on earth did you find that one?

But, no, that's certainly not it. Turner is on paved roads, no need for backcountry motoring there.

The closest we've been to Turner was Zortman 100 kliks south, - to get a "Z" town.

At least in 2009, Turner had some pretty cool elevators left.

Just found one of my RR Maps, this one a GNR specific map. It shows that Turner was the second town from the end of a spur running NW from Saco.

The map does show the line running to the mystery station. It's not very detailed. If I could bind a better one I may be able to use it in a quest for more unknown depots. Also, I have a lead on a water tank which may still be at least partially standing.

Edited by ScroogieII
21 hours ago, elyob said:

Old Molson Road

OLD Molson Museum

The website has a zillion pics, but I didn't see an RR depot.

Also, American Railroads doesn't list a depot in Molson.

There's a Molson Road, can't find an Old Molson Road. Needless to say, the mystery depot ain't there.

But thanks for finding Molson. I've gotta go there one day after the border is open again.

BTW, there's another hint for you if you're paying attention. :D

There's another little town right on the border in this general area that I once saw, but can't find again. Still looking, though.

Edited by ScroogieII
3 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

What are you looking for? Is this the trip where you went alone or one we took?

No, this one I had seen on the TV program "Canada Over the Edge". I think, though, that it was Molson, which is just over a mile south of the border. Photos from the Molson Museum (the link 3 posts above) look awfully familiar.

6 hours ago, elyob said:

Ferry

Myncaster

I just got up to speed on Old Molson Road. Molson Road is south of the border, south of Molson. Old Railway Road leads north from Molson and a bit north of the border becomes Old Molson Road.  It ain't there. I don't believe there could be any depots on it. There was a depot in Bridesville, bit it's long gone.

Ferry - there's Ferry County, immediately east of Okanogan County. Don't know of anything else named Ferrry. Molson is in Okanogan County, Ferry County isn't far east. Myncaster should be north of Ferry County.

Now - DING-DING-DING-DING!!! We have a winner. Now give me the coords of the depot and I'll give you your prize.

EDIT:

Now I know where Ferry is. It's (was) on the US side at midway. There was once a station, a water tank and a section house at Ferry, just south of the border.

Edited by ScroogieII
11 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

Myncaster should be north of Ferry County.

Now - DING-DING-DING-DING!!! We have a winner. Now give me the coords of the depot and I'll give you your prize.

First guess: N 49° 00.123 W 119° 01.207

Photograph will follow.  See page 270.  If my guess is correct, map on page 257 is incorrect.

20 minutes ago, elyob said:

Photograph will follow.  See page 270.  If my guess is correct, map on page 257 is incorrect.

Unfortunately, your prize was to be the photo from the magazine. I had found it quite a while ago and had since lost it and had only a tiny copy from the little museum in Rock Creek. I once had the link to Canadian Rail Magazine, too, but managed to lose that, as well. THANKS!!! :)

About the correctness of the map. I can follow the right of way of almost that entire subdivision on a satellite view, but I can't be certain of it around Myncaster. To the north of Myncaster I see a route in from the east and out to the west, but not the big turn in the vicinity of Myncaster. There was a spur going south from Myncaster a few miles to Chesaw, WA to service a grain elevator there that' still visible from satellite. Also, I was under the impression that the big trestle was west of Myncaster, but I could easily have that wrong.

The rest of the map agrees with what I've seen and with other, less detailed, maps that I've found.

"Bridesville depot was located two stations west of Myncaster; this view taken in 1924 shows the Great Northern depot and water tower." - From the magazine.

This means that there was another station (or possibly they mean two) between Myncaster and Bridesville. I've never heard of it, but I would bet the farm that it's long gone.

"Curlew to Molson (was shut down) in 1935", but I believe that passenger service had been discontinued earlier, possibly much earlier, making this mostly a freight station in its latter years.

On 4/26/2020 at 9:17 AM, elyob said:

If my guess is correct, map on page 257 is incorrect.

Well, I downloaded the Topo maps for the area in question. The railways they show are in agreement with the map.

The big trestle is just where it should be, right at the border immediately east of the depot. The trestle was needed to keep this section of track north of the border. The tracks make a U turn there and head northeast.

What that map shows as a curve towards the north then a swing down to Oroville is really much much more. It was steep enough that trains stopped on the way down to let their breaks cool. 
ETA: The dots mean nothing. They are just points used to draw the line.

1001528_10151450126601653_739857599_n.jpg

Edited by Mr Kaswa
18 hours ago, Mr Kaswa said:

What that map shows as a curve towards the north then a swing down to Oroville is really much much more. It was steep enough that trains stopped on the way down to let their breaks cool.

Thanks for adding this. I think I'll save it for future reference. I hope to get to Molson this year or next.

"really much much more" - It's the same with the section north and east from Molson. I'll try to do the same with it as you did here and post it.

BAD NEWS about the Myncaster station.

I stopped by there today and was able to talk with a farmer just north of it.

What appears on satellite views, in the vicinity of where the station once was, is an old barn & hay shed. The Myncaster station was moved north and west from there some time ago and has since been destroyed. SOB, SOB! :( 

Keith

• Surprised 1