Photo Goals

6 minutes ago, elyob said:

Recently, I have been losing many visit credits for waymarks in this category.  I had to join the group to notice the many retro denials.

Is this just for visits?

If so, are all/some from the same waymarker who created the waymark. Are they also an officer?

10 minutes ago, elyob said:

I had to join the group to notice the many retro denials.

Not sure I understand this, if it is for visits only.

2 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

Hum I hope the Drive-by doesn't pass the vote.

First you don't enjoy the waymark and second it's illegal to drive with a phone in your hand at least in Canada.

Off Topic:

Hopefully you know who I am...

Hi Lynx. Hope you're doing well and keeping away from "the Virus". Just wanted to know what the twin pillars in the background of your latest avatar are. I didn't recognize them and thought I probably should.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
2 minutes ago, ScroogieII said:

Off Topic:

Hi Lynx. Hope you're doing well and keeping away from "the Virus". Just wanted to know what the twin pillars in the background of your latest avatar are. I didn't recognize them and thought I probably should.

Keith

Yeap I am doing well and keeping away from the virus for now. Thanks for asking.

It's the Vimy monument in France.

Just now, Lynx Humble said:

Yeap I am doing well and keeping away from the virus for now. Thanks for asking.

It's the Vimy monument in France.

Still off topic, sorry:

COOOOOLLL!!! I'd like to get there one day, for sure!!!

That explains why I didn't recognize it.

Where are you stationed now?

Keith

2 minutes ago, ScroogieII said:

Still off topic, sorry:

Keith

Halifax, NS

To be on topic :

I wonder if there would be a way to improve the fact that you need to actively browse the category to know which photo goals are available. If you don't live near one you are pretty sure to miss that category.

3 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

Halifax, NS

To be on topic :

I wonder if there would be a way to improve the fact that you need to actively browse the category to know which photo goals are available. If you don't live near one you are pretty sure to miss that category.

OK, you're still there, cool.

How are things vis a vis "Our Armed Forces", specifically you, and "the Virus"? Are you being recruited in the battle?

With regard to your wondering "if there would be a way to... ... browse the category", the first thing I would suggest is a word search or a term search, using words and terms of pertinence to your interest, starting from the category, in this case Photo Goals.

Stay safe, Lynx,

Keith

Rereading the requirements of the category, I see that it's not necessary that your activity be unique to within category. So, availability is essentially completely open. Even if it's been done before, (within the confines of the category) you can do it again.

:wacko: Just a sec - I think I just got up to speed with regard to your request. The Lynx is a notorious and prodigious Visitor. What's your number, just of your visits to my Waymarks in the Maritimes, over 2,000??? :)

I think, though, that the above recommendation would still, apply, would it not?

Edited by ScroogieII
1 hour ago, ScroogieII said:

Still off topic, sorry:

Keith

Every Canadian should visit there.  It's well worth the trip.

• Helpful 1

Cool as can be! My reply was interrupted by T0SHEA's reply and caused the glitch you see above. Definitely a circumstance I've experienced, or seen, just this once. We should save this as being unique, like the double strike of a silver dollar or a missing letter on a Canadian Penny, something like that.

16 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

Ah, Gee

Thank you Keith

Je t'en prie et pas de quoi (Sorry for this, too)

Off Topic yet again:

Sorry, but I wanted to ask - is it OK if I send you the URLs of some articles I've recently read? They tend to reinforce beliefs/feelings we happen to have in common.

Edited by ScroogieII
7 minutes ago, ScroogieII said:

Sorry, but I wanted to ask - is it OK if I send u you the URLs of some articles I've recently read? They tend to reinforce beliefs/feelings we happen to have in common.

Sure, let us break the sound barrier. Since I am thinking about it, you are the master at newspaper articles, interested in doing some? More info, if you are. 

So, Boyle what is the delay, or was it just a ploy for us to change the topic? :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

Sure, let us break the sound barrier. Since I am thinking about it, you are the master at newspaper articles, interested in doing some? More info, if you are. 

So, Boyle what is the delay, or was it just a ploy for us to change the topic? :rolleyes:

"sound barrier" - cute as hell :):D:)

OK, I'll send some along.

To my knowledge you are the first one to publicly punch through "Elyob"'s private persona. I've been thinking about going through Ottawa phone books, thereby exposing him, for years, but thought better of it. Either that, or I decided it was too much trouble...:)

Newspaper articles - As you probably know, I'm not terribly excited of late about creating numbers. Got as far as I'll ever get in this lifetime as "K". I have posted a few Benchmarks lately and am actually putting together a couple of Benchmarking trips. Dunno why, but they excite me more than most other categories any more. Maybe it's because that's where we started. Maybe I've been thinking too much about "roots" lately. I'm gonna tell you a secret here now, though:

Google mapping down a very rural road well away from here, looking for a Benchmark, I'm pretty sure I discovered an abandoned railway depot that still stands, wayyyyy off the beaten track and now essentially forgotten by all but those who live nearby. THAT excited me, I will say!!!

So, send me the details of the newspaper articles you have in mind and I'll see what I can do.

38 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

is it OK if I send u you the URLs

54 minutes ago, ScroogieII said:

is it OK if I send you the URLs

Yet another glitch?!?!?!

Hang on - Little to no short term memory left - mebbe I edited the original before it was quoted.

Hang on - nooooooo, if I edited at just the right moment this is still possible, isn't it???

NO - that's still not right, the extra "u" is only in the latter missive, not the former - GLITCH AGAIN!!!

Edited by ScroogieII
2 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

OK, you're still there, cool.

How are things vis a vis "Our Armed Forces", specifically you, and "the Virus"? Are you being recruited in the battle?

With regard to your wondering "if there would be a way to... ... browse the category", the first thing I would suggest is a word search or a term search, using words and terms of pertinence to your interest, starting from the category, in this case Photo Goals.

Stay safe, Lynx,

Keith

Specifically me I am mostly at home on stand-by waiting to be used in any fashion. I went a few times on my ship since the base is at minimum manning to serve as the duty watch leader. But for now they transferred me to an another ship because the one I was on is now at sea on stand-by to help remote communities and I wasn't considered essential.

It's mostly Medics that are being deployed for the moment and some ships on stand-by. I don't really know about Land and Air force.  

2 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

This, quoted above, just caught my eye.

I believe there are a great many, possibly even all,  Photo Goals not requiring proximity to the original post.

Hers's an example: Eat Pie on Pi Day

I meant about new players won't see the photo goals category exists unless they live close of one of them. At least it's how I discovered that category.

16 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

I meant about new players won't see the photo goals category exists unless they live close of one of them. At least it's how I discovered that category.

OK, now I get it. You really have run across a bit of a problem. At this moment I don't see any way around that. Any help from outside?!?!

those photo goals can really mess with your head. I looked at my Waymarking map, and it showed me with a credit for Korea. Korea? I've never been there.

But I did do a photo goal that was input from Korea. So, you can get visits across the country and around the world, staying close to home.

37 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

Actually I do not think it was about the numbers. Considering how much time you spent on research. I know it developed over the years. I happen to see some of our very first WMs, and have to chuckle. ;)

"and have to chuckle" - indeed, I now look at my first several Benchmark Waymarks, as well as other Waymarks, with embarrassment.

As for the rest, I'm a bit proud, but mostly happy, that the rest, the Benchmarks included, improved over time. I guess that, over time, it became ego, or pride (I dunno), as much as anything. Initially, I just didn't want the Waymarking community to view me as, just another Waymarker, or an inferior Waymarker. Then, after awhile the research became so engrossing and just so much a part of "Creating a Waymark" that, toward the end, I ended up doing more researching than Waymarking. In terms of personal enrichment, however, that is a good thing, never to be lamented.

I don't regret a moment of the time I spent researching ( sometimes AKA wasted) Waymarks. At present, though, I just cant't find the energy to do the same. I suspect we have a lot of undone Waymarks from our last northern trip, and, indeed, other trips, as well, and maybe someday I'll be able to discover the wherewithal to attack those.

Edited by ScroogieII
30 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

those photo goals can really mess with your head. I looked at my Waymarking map, and it showed me with a credit for Korea. Korea? I've never been there.

But I did do a photo goal that was input from Korea. So, you can get visits across the country and around the world, staying close to home.

Yeah I have a similar issue with the U-Haul category that make it look as if I visited all Canada and USA when I never went West of Ontario or West of the American East Coast except for British Columbia. Good thing we don't get souvenir for thoses.

• Upvote 1

I do not know how many Photo Goals there were originally, however there are 89 currently with the last approved was on 6/26/2019.

Two of the officers I do not recognize. Both of them basically are inactive since 2013 and have about the same number of WKs. 

I do know it took us awhile to figure out the category. I suppose, I created a photo goal just to fill in the grid. 

Each year we do continue to get visits, currently there are 52.  Eat Pie on Pi Day, next event will be July 22nd. Mark your calendar. 

1 hour ago, ScroogieII said:

Google mapping down a very rural road well away from here, looking for a Benchmark, I'm pretty sure I discovered an abandoned railway depot that still stands, wayyyyy off the beaten track and now essentially forgotten by all but those who live nearby. THAT excited me, I will say!!!

Wherewherewhere?

1 hour ago, vulture1957 said:

Which is why having a visited deleted in this category can significantly impact things.  Oh no, I'm back on topic.

45 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

Yeah I have a similar issue with the U-Haul category that make it look as if I visited all Canada and USA when I never went West of Ontario or West of the American East Coast except for British Columbia. Good thing we don't get souvenir for thoses.

Yeabut - you should, you deserve them!!!

21 minutes ago, elyob said:

Wherewherewhere?

If I thought for a second that you were going to be out here in BC at some point this summer I would never, ever disclose its location.

Even if I didn't think that, I would STILL never disclose its location!!!

It's MINE, JUST MINE, and ain't nobody gonna steal it from me!!!!!

:P

1 minute ago, ScroogieII said:

If I thought for a second that you were going to be out here in BC at some point this summer I would never, ever disclose its location.

Even if I didn't think that, I would STILL never disclose its location!!!

It's MINE, JUST MINE, and ain't nobody gonna steal it from me!!!!!

:P

Before Waymarking was invented, even before geocaching was invented, my play time outdoors was identifying mysterious rail locations.  If your research fails this summer, you know who to ask for assistance.

That was a hard one to actually post a WK. There are currently 210. 

U-Haul TR: America - United We Stand - Washington, D.C. currently has 43 visits.

U-Haul TR: Grand Island, NE currently has 41 visits. This was the first. 

I agree - we were lucky to have found even one, much less 2. And the "Washington" one I would have liked to, at some time in the future, use against the Yankees: "Ha Ha, see --- 'The Canuckys can be better Waymakers than the Yankees'"; something like that. But now (April, 2020) that would most likely just be perceived as cruel.

Edited by ScroogieII