Posting instructions question

I read the requirements and instructions for posting a waymark in the Wineries category.  A lot of info but it's all easy enough to gather.  But, one of the "rules" says "You must visit and visit any winery you are entering. If it is determined that you did not visit it, your entry will be removed. Employees and owners are not allowed to enter their own winery

I pour wine and help out at a Wine Cooperative - a tasting room with 3 wineries represented; one makes the wines on the site, the others make the wine elsewhere but pour and distribute it through the Cooperative. Technically. I'm not an employee - I do get a substantial discount on purchases and occasionally am "gifted" a bottle or two of wine.  I have business cards that state I am a Tasting Room Associate for one of the wineries (the building owners and the ones that make the wine on site) that open doors at other wineries.  Would this mean I can't create a waymark for the Wine Coop, or any of the three wineries associated with the place?

Visiting and gathering the photos and information may be a challenge until tasting rooms are open again, but I surely look forward to giving this category some new waymarks!!  I'm surprised how few waymarks there are in this Napa/Sonoma region!  I've got my work cut out for me!

• Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

I read the requirements and instructions for posting a waymark in the Wineries category.  A lot of info but it's all easy enough to gather.  But, one of the "rules" says "You must visit and visit any winery you are entering. If it is determined that you did not visit it, your entry will be removed. Employees and owners are not allowed to enter their own winery

I pour wine and help out at a Wine Cooperative - a tasting room with 3 wineries represented; one makes the wines on the site, the others make the wine elsewhere but pour and distribute it through the Cooperative. Technically. I'm not an employee - I do get a substantial discount on purchases and occasionally am "gifted" a bottle or two of wine.  I have business cards that state I am a Tasting Room Associate for one of the wineries (the building owners and the ones that make the wine on site) that open doors at other wineries.  Would this mean I can't create a waymark for the Wine Coop, or any of the three wineries associated with the place?

Visiting and gathering the photos and information may be a challenge until tasting rooms are open again, but I surely look forward to giving this category some new waymarks!!  I'm surprised how few waymarks there are in this Napa/Sonoma region!  I've got my work cut out for me!

Let me suggest this, especially if you plan to post a boat load of waymarks into this Wineries category.  I would actually join the category as a member.  Find the Wineries Category, Click Show Category, Click Show Additional Information, (you may have to click show category again) and click Join Group.  Once you do, you will have access to see who the officers are.  Up in the Upper left hand Corner you should see where it says Managed by: Wineries.  Click the link and it should give you a link to the officers.  In this group, it looks like everyone is active by their last logon date.  I would message the leader - RakeInTheCache with your specific question, or any of the other officers. 

The problem with asking a specific question about a category in the forums, especially a detailed one like this, you may get the wrong answer from someone who isn't an officer of the category.  With this being your first posting, we (the Waymarking community) really want it to be as smooth as possible.  That said, please don't be surprised if your waymark doesn't come back for corrections the first time around.  It's nothing personal; don't get angry or frustrated - see what the problem is and correct it.  Even after 15 years I still get declined waymarks and have to make corrections  The wineries category appears to be one of the tougher categories - if you can master this one, you can master 99% of the others!

The best advice I ever got was from the late BruceS - a legend here in Waymarking.  Remember, you are trying to make an interesting waymark - what makes it unique from the others of the category - you basically want to sell your waymark to others so they will want to visit.  Good luck on your first waymark - I hope to hear how it goes!

• Helpful 3
22 minutes ago, iconions said:

Let me suggest this, especially if you plan to post a boat load of waymarks into this Wineries category.  I would actually join the category as a member.  Find the Wineries Category, Click Show Category, Click Show Additional Information, (you may have to click show category again) and click Join Group.  Once you do, you will have access to see who the officers are.  Up in the Upper left hand Corner you should see where it says Managed by: Wineries.  Click the link and it should give you a link to the officers.  In this group, it looks like everyone is active by their last logon date.  I would message the leader - RakeInTheCache with your specific question, or any of the other officers. 

First, I don't know about  a "boatload" of waymarks - but there are a lot I COULD do!  Second, I did join the group, and I see you are also a member.  I sent an email with my question to RakeInTheCache as well.  I can't do much until the tasting rooms open again - maybe get a few started and fill in the details later once I can visit again.

25 minutes ago, iconions said:

The best advice I ever got was from the late BruceS - a legend here in Waymarking.  Remember, you are trying to make an interesting waymark - what makes it unique from the others of the category - you basically want to sell your waymark to others so they will want to visit.  Good luck on your first waymark - I hope to hear how it goes!

I've actually submitted 2 today, for new restaurants near me - - "practice" so to speak as I don't intend to waymark many more chain restaurants.  Wineries?  Another ball game altogether!

49 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

First, I don't know about  a "boatload" of waymarks - but there are a lot I COULD do!  Second, I did join the group, and I see you are also a member.  I sent an email with my question to RakeInTheCache as well.  I can't do much until the tasting rooms open again - maybe get a few started and fill in the details later once I can visit again.

I've actually submitted 2 today, for new restaurants near me - - "practice" so to speak as I don't intend to waymark many more chain restaurants.  Wineries?  Another ball game altogether!

Like I said before, I've posted 4 McDonalds in 15 years - not my favorite, but a great place to get your feet wet. 
Again, there are different sizes of boats - dinghys, bassboats, johnboats, all the way up to ocean going yachts.  See, boatload is relative.  Hopefully, with your interest in the wineries, it is the yacht size boatload...

Now, with your wineries, are they large enough for a Wikipedia entry?  Do they have a Bell, an old water pump, old agricultural equipment on display?  Do they have wifi?  Are they on the National Register of Historic Places?  Do they have a fancy Neon Sign?  
Again, a lot of times, one place you can waymark actually has MANY waymarks there.  If you can, try to keep an eye out for other things - easier said when you get a lot more experience.  Trust me - I have gotten home and seen several waymarks I missed.  Again, good luck, do not hesitate to ask questions.  

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, iconions said:

Again, there are different sizes of boats - dinghys, bassboats, johnboats, all the way up to ocean going yachts.  See, boatload is relative.  Hopefully, with your interest in the wineries, it is the yacht size boatload...

This made me laugh!  I'll start out with maybe the bass boat (my brother is an avid bass fisherman so that would be appropriate) and see where it goes!

11 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

and find out what a kugel ball is, so you can waymark it when you see one!

I had to google that one - now I know what it is and I have never seen one that I can recall.  If I did I didn't realize at the time that's what it was!

• Upvote 1
On 4/21/2020 at 8:04 AM, CAVinoGal said:

This made me laugh!  I'll start out with maybe the bass boat (my brother is an avid bass fisherman so that would be appropriate) and see where it goes!

I had to google that one - now I know what it is and I have never seen one that I can recall.  If I did I didn't realize at the time that's what it was!

If you've ever been to Disneyland, there's a large kugel ball in Tommorowland near Space Mountain. They are quite rare to find. Took me about 8 years to finally waymark one that hasn't been already put in the category.

31 minutes ago, bluesnote said:

you've ever been to Disneyland, there's a large kugel ball in Tommorowland near Space Mountain. They are quite rare to find. Took me about 8 years to finally waymark one that hasn't been already put in the category.

And I always thought they are an American thing that is hard to find here in Europe.

It took me six years to find my first one, another one for the second. 

On 4/20/2020 at 7:04 PM, CAVinoGal said:

I can't do much until the tasting rooms open again - maybe get a few started and fill in the details later once I can visit again.

:::SIGH::: And here we are, 3 months later, I have gathered some info on a few local wineries, but not being able to visit and get photos and more info has been really frustrating.  Here in my county tasting rooms were allowed to open for about 2 weeks, long enough for us to get trained on the new protocols and procedures, and then everything was shut down again, then re-opened for outdoor tasting only.  Not all tasting rooms are able to do that.  Tours of facilities are out for the foreseeable future.

As I said, I've begun write ups on a few, but got frustrated at how much info I was missing and won't get (specifically photos) until some point in the future when things open up.  Is there a time limit on how long a waymark can remain "unfinished", or how many unfinished waymarks one can have? I assume it's longer than the few months my newly started ones have been around; and likely more than the 3 I have started but not yet finished.  There are probably a half dozen more I could get started just local to me (within 5-10 miles).  I'm just feeling stalled and frustrated that I can only get to certain point until our local government changes things.  Thanks for letting me vent a little.

1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

Is there a time limit on how long a waymark can remain "unfinished", or how many unfinished waymarks one can have? I assume it's longer than the few months my newly started ones have been around; and likely more than the 3 I have started but not yet finished.

I'm not aware of a time limit, I've got 'unfinished' waymarks that are years old!

I don't think there is a limit to the number of unfinished waymarks... (If there is, I'm sure the system will let you know, if/when you reach it)

11 minutes ago, Bear and Ragged said:

I'm not aware of a time limit, I've got 'unfinished' waymarks that are years old!

I don't think there is a limit to the number of unfinished waymarks... (If there is, I'm sure the system will let you know, if/when you reach it)

I got scolded by an officer, who wanted to know why it took me so long to submit the waymark I started a while ago. Pfffft.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 3
6 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I got scolded by an officer, who wanted to know why it took me so long to submit the waymark I started a while ago. Pfffft.

I've got four I need to go get pictures to go get - I just haven't wanted to drive the 90 minutes one way to get them.  Maybe this Friday when I have a day off....  

On 4/20/2020 at 8:05 PM, iconions said:

Now, with your wineries, are they large enough for a Wikipedia entry?  Do they have a Bell, an old water pump, old agricultural equipment on display?  Do they have wifi?  Are they on the National Register of Historic Places?  Do they have a fancy Neon Sign?  
Again, a lot of times, one place you can waymark actually has MANY waymarks there.  If you can, try to keep an eye out for other things - easier said when you get a lot more experience.  Trust me - I have gotten home and seen several waymarks I missed.  Again, good luck, do not hesitate to ask questions.  

OK, for now I'm focusing on just getting some posted in the Wineries category, which is pretty involved as far as what is required for posting a waymark.  I may go back and see if they fit other categories; most DO have wifi, some of the ones I'm planning on Waymarking as Wineries are historic structures as well.  Hmmmm....

I was able to go back in my photos and find some good ones for a couple of local wineries that I visit on a regular basis - so I put things to gether and submitted 2 earlier this week; both were approved (YAY, ME!), one on the first shot, one needed a slight edit.  I can see them in my "Approved Waymarks" - I got the approval emails, but I don't see them in the list of recent waymarks, and when I do a specific search for recent waymarks posted by me in the last 30 days, I get no results.  What am I doing wrong?  The waymarks in question are WM12BWM and WM12C13.

We went wine tasting in Napa on Wednesda and I took photos and gathered info for 2 more wineries that I am working on; I want to make sure I'm submitting and getting everything done right so people can see them and find them if they search!

image.png.f5a70f2ba2da6c939adb3440b0240f1f.png

22 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

OK, for now I'm focusing on just getting some posted in the Wineries category, which is pretty involved as far as what is required for posting a waymark.  I may go back and see if they fit other categories; most DO have wifi, some of the ones I'm planning on Waymarking as Wineries are historic structures as well.  Hmmmm....

I was able to go back in my photos and find some good ones for a couple of local wineries that I visit on a regular basis - so I put things to gether and submitted 2 earlier this week; both were approved (YAY, ME!), one on the first shot, one needed a slight edit.  I can see them in my "Approved Waymarks" - I got the approval emails, but I don't see them in the list of recent waymarks, and when I do a specific search for recent waymarks posted by me in the last 30 days, I get no results.  What am I doing wrong?  The waymarks in question are WM12BWM and WM12C13.

We went wine tasting in Napa on Wednesda and I took photos and gathered info for 2 more wineries that I am working on; I want to make sure I'm submitting and getting everything done right so people can see them and find them if they search!

image.png.f5a70f2ba2da6c939adb3440b0240f1f.png

You limited your search parameter for the past 30 days, but the winery I checked was posted in April.  I can see both new ones in your profile.

12 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

You limited your search parameter for the past 30 days, but the winery I checked was posted in April

I started the write ups in April, didn't finish them till this week, and they were approved on the 14th and 15th of July I think.  So the posted date is the day you started the write up, not the day it was published?  Is there a way to change that so it reflects when you actually submitted the waymark?  

2 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

I started the write ups in April, didn't finish them till this week, and they were approved on the 14th and 15th of July I think.  So the posted date is the day you started the write up, not the day it was published?  Is there a way to change that so it reflects when you actually submitted the waymark?  

Nope.

16 hours ago, elyob said:

You will experience many moments of confusion before you learn all the date and time variations concerning creating and visiting waymarks.

I'm not sure if I should take that as a warning or as a validation; confusion is to be expected, so I'm doing things correctly!?!  Oh, this is going to be soooo much fun!

Posted date shown on the waymark page is the date I actually created the waymark, even if it was months or years ago.

Approved date is the date it is available for everyone to see on Waymarking.com and log visits.

The search by Published date actually uses the Posted date, not the Approved date.

And now I remember some confusion over dates when I added photos to a log after posting my visit log - 

It seems the more Waymarking I try to do, the more confused I get ... is that about right??

• Upvote 1
On 7/18/2020 at 2:31 AM, CAVinoGal said:

Well, I know two methods, but you won't like each of it.

1. Gather everything you need (photos, text, dates for the variables,...) "offline" and create and submit the waymark when you have everything you need.

2. Start a waymark whenever you want and add whatever you get and when you're finished, create a new waymark and copy everything to the new waymark and delete the old one.

PS: I just checked the "My Unfinished Waymarks" link and the oldest I have is a Quadrivia waymark in my hometown that I created in 2013. Time to finish it, no? :-)

• Helpful 1
On 8/25/2020 at 9:54 AM, PISA-caching said:

PS: I just checked the "My Unfinished Waymarks" link and the oldest I have is a Quadrivia waymark in my hometown that I created in 2013. Time to finish it, no? :-)

Omigawd Andreas, you must be the poster boy  child for interminable patience. :D

Keith

EDIT: I just got it: In Wien streets tend to be laid down at a snail's pace. You're hoping that that fourth street might meet the other three in your lifetime... ...

Edited by ScroogieII
On 7/17/2020 at 5:31 PM, CAVinoGal said:

99's "Nope" is correct.

However, I didn't see a response to your second question.

The posted date is the date on which you first click on the "Save and Continue" button at the bottom of the Waymark creation page. Click that big, square button and your Waymark is immediately entered into the database, only removable if it should be archived (deleted) prior to clicking on the equally big "Submit Waymark for Review" button at the bottom of the Submit Waymark page.

More confusion: on a Waymark search list the site will show "date approved", while the Waymark itself will show "Date Posted" - the date you clicked on the "Save and Continue" button.

Edited by ScroogieII
11 hours ago, Bear and Ragged said:

I've have three unfinished, dated: date created: 4/24/2009   :huh:

Ok, you beat me. :-)

5 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

EDIT: I just got it: In Wien streets tend to be laid down at a snail's pace. You're hoping that that fourth street might meet the other three in your lifetime... ...

Almost right. Look at Google Streetview to see the status of the fourth "street". :-) Seriously, I didn't finish it, because the category demands photos of the street signs ("a picture (or pictures) of the four different street names is required") and the quadrivia in question has only 2 of them. So, maybe one day the other 2 streets will get their street sign too or the category will no longer require photo(s) of all four street names or (most likely) I will keep that unfinished waymark till the end of time. :-)

On 8/26/2020 at 7:06 PM, ScroogieII said:

The posted date is the date on which you first click on the "Save and Continue" button at the bottom of the Waymark creation page. Click that big, square button and your Waymark is immediately entered into the database, only removable if it should be archived (deleted) prior to clicking on the equally big "Submit Waymark for Review" button at the bottom of the Submit Waymark page.

More confusion: on a Waymark search list the site will show "date approved", while the Waymark itself will show "Date Posted" - the date you clicked on the "Save and Continue" button.

So it's really all just a matter of semantics, and learning what "approved", "posted", "submitted", etc all mean on the Waymarking.com site - I can cope with that.  I like to take my time with writeups so I guess I'll just have to live with the posted date being different than the submitted/approved date.

Having said that, and now knowing how it works, I'm starting a new waymark today, and I want to see if I can get it submitted today as well - of course, the approval may take several days and that is out of my control.  I'm doing my best to have all my ducks in a row (so to speak) so the waymark is as complete as I can make it before I submit it; less of a chance it will be denied because I left out a crucial piece of info.

Thanks for all the clarifications and coaching - it's appreciated!

one thing I've seen lately that I'm just learning -- I keep an eye on the "Newest Waymarks" listing. When these "old" waymarks are submitted and published, they are put into the listing on the date created. Say I created a waymark in January, but for whatever reason, I held it till now and submitted. It gets approved. It will not show in the "Newest Waymarks" because that only list the last 30 days.

Edited by vulture1957
3 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

one thing I've seen lately that I'm just learning -- I keep an eye on the "Newest Waymarks" listing. When these "old" waymarks are submitted and published, they are put into the listing on the date created. Say I created a waymark in January, but for whatever reason, I held it till now and submitted. It gets approved. It will not show in the "Newest Waymarks" because that only list the last 30 days.

Interesting fact! I never noticed that.

The default sort order is by date approved, but the default filter is "posted" within 30 days; and "posted" means in fact "created".

Of course, you can change the filter and the sort order, but who does that?

4 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

Earlier in this thread we talked about this issue when someone couldn't find their newly submitted waymark. They get buried if they weren't recently created.