Navigation is all over the place

Hi all,

The last month or so the navigation in my app has been ALL OVER THE PLACE. It doesn't matter if it's clear skies, cloudy, cold, warm, tree cover, no cover at all, city, trails, etc. The compass will say I'm 50m away so we walk in that direction and all of a sudden we're 200m in the wrong direction. It doesn't bounce instantly but as we walk. I've tried placing the phone flat in the palm of my hand, taking the case off... navigation is on, compass is active. Today was most frustrating because we walked back and forth 300m for 30 minutes before giving up. Walk in one direction, compass says to turn around, walk in the turned around direction and the compass says go back.

PS. The map nav and compass nav are having the same issue (i.e. they're consistent in not being able to find the location.) I've even located caches and had the compass tell me - on a crystal clear day - that I was stil 30+m away in a completely different direction.

Everything is updated on the iphone, app and iOS. Ideas? Suggestions? Getting lost for 3 hours was not fun today and almost pushed me to give up on caching completely.

16 minutes ago, Storm_Stir said:

Hi all,

The last month or so the navigation in my app has been ALL OVER THE PLACE. It doesn't matter if it's clear skies, cloudy, cold, warm, tree cover, no cover at all, city, trails, etc. The compass will say I'm 50m away so we walk in that direction and all of a sudden we're 200m in the wrong direction. It doesn't bounce instantly but as we walk. I've tried placing the phone flat in the palm of my hand, taking the case off... navigation is on, compass is active. Today was most frustrating because we walked back and forth 300m for 30 minutes before giving up. Walk in one direction, compass says to turn around, walk in the turned around direction and the compass says go back.

PS. The map nav and compass nav are having the same issue (i.e. they're consistent in not being able to find the location.) I've even located caches and had the compass tell me - on a crystal clear day - that I was stil 30+m away in a completely different direction.

Everything is updated on the iphone, app and iOS. Ideas? Suggestions? Getting lost for 3 hours was not fun today and almost pushed me to give up on caching completely.

Post your phone and update info from the About page of the official App.  Press and copy, paste it here.

Mine is:

Version 8.20.0 (1)
iOS 13.4
iPhone 8

I’ve had similar issues lately.  Haven’t done much to troubleshoot it, because of multiple problems.  iPhones, as with most such devices, don’t have durable or quality sensors, but I can’t really explain what’s going on.  I most often use a Garmin Oregon for caching, so it’s not much of an issue for me.

46 minutes ago, Storm_Stir said:

Hi all,

16 hours ago, kunarion said:

Post your phone and update info from the About page of the official App.  Press and copy, paste it here.

Mine is:

Version 8.20.0 (1)
iOS 13.4
iPhone 8

I’ve had similar issues lately.  Haven’t done much to troubleshoot it, because of multiple problems.  iPhones, as with most such devices, don’t have durable or quality sensors, but I can’t really explain what’s going on.  I most often use a Garmin Oregon for caching, so it’s not much of an issue for me.

Version 8.20.0 (1)

iOS 13.3.1

iPhone 8 plus

Edited by Storm_Stir
On 4/21/2020 at 9:30 AM, Storm_Stir said:

Version 8.20.0 (1)

iOS 13.3.1

iPhone 8 plus

Did the effect seem to develop with IOS 13?  It hasn't been so bad for me previously, but I don't know exactly when it started.  I can easily reproduce the 90-degree-off compass bug someone mentioned over a year ago, and I've been thinking of making a video or something.  Usually when I go to a lot of work to demonstrate a bug, some major change happens that entirely changes that bug.  Like within a few minutes of me posting it.   B)

Have you compared Cachly or another Geocaching App?  I have that and Compass Commander, and a couple more.  iPhones will switch to whatever "Location Service" they can use, seamlessly, not notifying you that, for example, satellite lock is lost and  that now it's using some detected wifi hotstpot IP address or whatever.  Maybe I can dig up my old external GPS devices that connect to iPhone.  They had utilities that show satellites in a graph like the picture Max and 99 posted above.  Makes it easier to see what the phone is using for location.

Edited by kunarion

I have this problem as well. I did a little trouble shooting and came to the conclusion that it is an error within the app. To come to this conclusion I compared the app compass with a real compass, my Jeep’s compass and the native compass on IPhone. All matched except the app. It seems to want to send me in the opposite direction.

2 hours ago, skifasteatass said:

I have this problem as well. I did a little trouble shooting and came to the conclusion that it is an error within the app. To come to this conclusion I compared the app compass with a real compass, my Jeep’s compass and the native compass on IPhone. All matched except the app. It seems to want to send me in the opposite direction.

I can definitely demonstrate the compass direction bug.  What about the thing where it's 150 to 600 feet off?