Category Variables

T0SHEA

I was considering submitting a waymark in ******* ******.

After reading the description and posting requirements, this new WK was a perfect fit. 

The variables for this category number 15.

Yes there are 15 variables, 5 are required. 

I know, I know the other 10 I do not need to fill out, then what is the point if they are left blank?

BTW: I have re-written several categories and removed several variables, that I thought were unnecessary.

My least favorite variable is: Rate this **** from a scale of 1 to 5. 

This is too subjective to have any real meaning.

There is one category that asks for a rating, and because of the building, I always rate it a five, no matter what it may look like. 

Edited by T0SHEA
11 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

I was considering submitting a waymark in ******* ******.

After reading the description and posting requirements, this new WK was a perfect fit. 

The variables for this category number 15.

Yes there are 15 variables, 5 are required. 

I know, I know the other 10 I do not need to fill out, then what is the point if they are left blank?

If they are left blank, each visitor to the waymark then gets annoying requests to provide missing information.

• Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, elyob said:

If they are left blank, each visitor to the waymark then gets annoying requests to provide missing information.

Yes, I have found these requests. At first I tried to fill them out, now I do not even bother. 

Besides the creator of the WK, did not fill them out. Why should someone else do their work?

Edited by T0SHEA
12 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

I like (NOT) the categories where the variables are not required, but the reviewers won't approve the waymark unless they are filled in. What is so hard to understand about "not required"?

Am I understanding you correctly, that you had a WK declined because optional variables were not filled in?

21 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

Am I understanding you correctly, that you had a WK declined because optional variables were not filled in?

correct. the first category on my "Black List"

Reviewers comments were something on the order of "I will not accept any waymark that doesn't have all the variables filled. If you can't do the research necessary, then maybe you shouldn't waymark."

Edited by vulture1957
8 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

correct. the first category on my "Black List"

Reviewers comments were something on the order of "I will not accept any waymark that doesn't have all the variables filled. If you can't do the research necessary, then maybe you shouldn't waymark."

Yikes, never had this happen. 

Apparently, either Keith filled in all the variables, or it is not a category we did much. But do not know either way.

Though you could look on my profile page under list and see if we did any. The number could give me a clue. :rolleyes:

Or you could just spill it. :D

35 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

Yikes, never had this happen. 

Apparently, either Keith filled in all the variables, or it is not a category we did much. But do not know either way.

Though you could look on my profile page under list and see if we did any. The number could give me a clue. :rolleyes:

Or you could just spill it. :D

it was a long time ao, and it has made me a better waymarker. Even though I think that was going to be one of my better postings, now I try to research as much as I can to make an interesting waymark.

And I've even gotten 1 or 2 "attaboys" from him since.

3 minutes ago, Alfouine said:

I have a question.

A waymarker publish a waymark in a category with 15 variables and none required.

So he fills no variables.

You make a quick search online and you find a website and contents to fill all variables.

Would you approve or decline the waymark ?

Hi, first if you are referring to the category I referenced with 15 variables 5 are required. 

To your question, only my thoughts, I would approve it as the variables are not required. If I was so inclined, and found the information I just might fill them, though I doubt it. 

That is the problem with so many variables that are not required, some will never fill them in, especially if it is just a numbers game. Takes to much time to fill in all those variables when "they" could post three in that time. 

Since I am not worried about numbers, but about the quality of my waymarks, I try to give as much detail as I can about the object I am Waymarking - that said, I will rarely waymark a commercial category.  I try to find the information about the variables, and I also try to give good detail and research into my long descriptions.  This is why I will never be able to post a crapton of waymarks in a day.  I'm not trying for mine to become "LPC"s , hopefully.  I was lucky to have BruceS as a mentor.

Heck, for some, it's too much trouble to fill out a long description at all, much less any kind of variables.

• Upvote 1
30 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

Oh, are we supposed to research? :)

Some waymarks I see do not even have a long description. Yikes!

that is one of the reasons I don't prefer the retail categories. How much is there to say about another McD's or Starbucks? It's in Suchnsuch shopping center or strip mall, with these 3 other stores. I guess I could ask they how many burgers or coffee they serve each year.

3 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

Liberal Party of Canada?

Light Post Cache?

Light Post Cover or Cache - the rage for a quick hide for micro geocaches in parking lots to get quick finds.  I started geocaching in 2005- I could see all of the caches in Kansas on one Groundspeak map back then.  It was fun to go out and look for them because they were in interesting places.  Now, it's mainly about who can get the most numbers, hence the LPC and it's soggy log.  It's pretty much why I quit geocaching, except when I'm out on a trip.  

I don't ever want to have many of my waymarks to be known as LPC's, or maybe LWC's???

4 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

that is one of the reasons I don't prefer the retail categories. How much is there to say about another McD's or Starbucks? It's in Suchnsuch shopping center or strip mall, with these 3 other stores. I guess I could ask they how many burgers or coffee they serve each year.

That's why I have done exactly 4 McDonald's in 15 years of Waymarking - too boring.  I much prefer my cemetery waymarks and my building category waymarks - I often find really cool stories just with a little basic research.  The Sultana Building in Williams Arizona - https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/wm126GD_Sultana_Bar_Williams_Arizona .  Someone only just waymarked the historic sign a few years ago.  I pulled six more waymarks on the building just by doing a tad more research, and finding out more cool stuff about what just looks like a neighborhood dive bar.  I have had lots of examples like that... 

1 hour ago, Alfouine said:

I have a question.

A waymarker publish a waymark in a category with 15 variables and none required.

You make a quick search online and you find a website and contents to fill all variables.

I approve waymarks based only on the category requirements.  HOWEVER, in your example, or a case of photographs taken from a moving vehicle, or a case of one photograph being cropped into multiple photographs, etc; I will ignore the submission.  I'm a horrible human being.

15 minutes ago, elyob said:

I'm a horrible human being.

:) :rolleyes: :D

Oh, elyob You are a gentle soul.

Or is it Boyle? -_-

Kinda like Iconions, figured it out fairly soon, but had resistance from the peanut gallery. I finally asked. 

Edited by T0SHEA
10 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

:) :rolleyes: :D

Oh, elyob You are a gentle soul.

Or is it Boyle? -_-

Kinda like Iconions, figured it out fairly soon, but had resistance from the peanut gallery. I finally asked. 

At the invention of the pre-graphic web, Boyle was already taken in most boards and games so I became backwards Boyle.  Boyle was the family name of my six-times-great grandfather.  I had flights purchased for my first ever visit to the ancient family space in Ireland in March.  Then the world turned to crap.  We could have gone but would have ended up trapped somewhere for who knows how long.

Edited by elyob

This is one of those variables that is not a favorite. I most generally fill it out including postal code. As most have already figured out you only need to fill in the address line, not the other boxes. Haven't tried it, wonder if you used just one letter or one number will be able to proceed and save? Or perhaps just a. )

Address [required]:
Address:

Address 2:

City:

State/Region:

Postal Code:

On 4/20/2020 at 12:22 PM, Alfouine said:

I have a question.

Decline it, be kind and send him/her the URL(s). You've done your job, now encourage him/her to do their job. If they do, then all is copacetic. If they don't, it may or may not lead to another decline and your having to do more of your job - explaining to the submitter the error of their way, hopefully leading to a final, acceptable, submission. Really simple, actually!