API result error in 'Verify Final Coordinates'

There is a problem in this new function. As an example I refer to the following mystery: [GC Code removed by moderator]

The checker uses the coordinates in format decimal minutes (i.e N 51° 18.035  E 1° 16.456, this is the solution the checker accepts -> green !).

Convert it to degrees in decimal format, you get: N51.300583 E1.274267

If I use this solution with the new API function, the result is a red checker.

If I use N51.300584 E1.274268 for the checker, the reult is correct (green).

Two possibilities:

1. the checker also accepts solutions that may vary by '1' in the 6th decimal place (0.000001)

2. the internal solution in the database is rounded correctly from the decimal minutes input format to decimal degrees.

Edited by Keystone
  • Upvote 3
7 hours ago, Megalodon said:

Convert it to degrees in decimal format, you get: N51.300583 E1.274267

If I use this solution with the new API function, the result is a red checker.

If you enter these decimal coordinates to the web page checker it accepts the solution.

There must be some sort of discrepancy between WEB-checker and API-checker. Indeeed, both of them should accept the same input.

Edited by arisoft
4 hours ago, ecanderson said:

NOTHING in the gc.com system should require a 6th digit after the decimal in decimal degrees notation for a physical cache location.  No one looking for a cache uses equipment that can successfully resolve a position to that level.

That's it, exactly ! But it would also be fine, if the save the solutions correctly rounded :D

wow: the moderator is quick in geleting GC numbers, but how about an answer ?

Edited by Megalodon
3 hours ago, arisoft said:

If you enter these decimal coordinates to the web page checker it accepts the solution.

There must be some sort of discrepancy between WEB-checker and API-checker. Indeeed, both of them should accept the same input.

Wow, that's really interesting. You are right, they both should return the same result.

I just retried what you wrote and I can confirm the API I use in GSAK does NOT return the same result as the Checker on the website !

I am very interested in the explanation from the API programmers.

6 minutes ago, Megalodon said:

wow: the moderator is quick in geleting GC numbers, but how about an answer ?

I am a volunteer moderator, working out of my home in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania where I am quite busy in working on speeding COVID-19 relief loans to small businesses, as an employee of an essential business (banking).  I took time away from that to respond to a report from a community member about your post, which spoils a puzzle location in violation of the terms of use.

I am not an employee of Geocaching HQ nor am I in any position to advise on the workings of the API.

Your comment is noted, but it was not well-received.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
5 minutes ago, Megalodon said:

Sorry, I am only asking myself who is taking care of the API, a single person ?

Your post in the API forum, where this seems to belong, may eventually get a response, but I would go ahead and post your original issues clearly there, rather than link from there to here.  This "side" of the problem (Web) is actually working, and the owners are different in any case.

Edited by ecanderson

Big "Thank you" to the engineers, they fixed it and I tested it already and it's working fine.

The only thing that I am missing is an expand to all mysteries. It does not make much sense (to me) to be able to check only the new mysteries which are using the geocaching.com internal geochecker.

6 hours ago, Megalodon said:

The only thing that I am missing is an expand to all mysteries. It does not make much sense (to me) to be able to check only the new mysteries which are using the geocaching.com internal geochecker.

It doesn't make sense to me for the API to check a puzzle solution for a cache that is not using the geocaching.com internal checker.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
On 4/27/2020 at 8:50 AM, niraD said:
On 4/27/2020 at 2:29 AM, Megalodon said:

It doesn't make sense to me for the API to check a puzzle solution for a cache that is not using the geocaching.com internal checker.

A point came up in a private email conversation, which leads me to ask:

Does the API distinguish between a "coordinates do not match solution" response and a "checker is not enabled for this cache" response?

The new API function has different results:

1. coordinates are correct

2. coordinates not correct

3. forbidden (in case of using the function on caches which have NOT the geocaching.com checker enabled)

4. API limit exeeded (in case of using the checker more than 10 times in 10minutes on the same GC number)

• Helpful 2