Easiest way to check if all caches in a county are found

Aix sponsa

3 hours ago, Aix sponsa said:

I have a challenge that requires that I find all the caches in a county. What is the best way to check that challenge considering that I don't think the maps on geocaching.com have county lines. 

You can do this on Project GC. There may be more direct ways (try searching their checker database for a checker for that challenge, which might exist even if there's no link to it on the cache page), but this should get you what you want.

Go to the Statistics page and pick one of the cache statistics options. I used the Top Logged one to try it, but the others should work much the same. Set your user name and the country, state and county you're interested in, then in the filters hide archived caches (I assume they don't need to be found) and caches you've found or own, like this:

image.png.7275ed9e707e6448adce4f93d07af9de.png

What you get from that should be all the caches in that county you haven't found and don't own.

Geocaching.com "browse caches" map offers 16 mapping options on the right side of the map.  Using Esri World Topo, and looking at the east part of Hernando County,  filtering out my finds, and my hides (most of what's there in state forest land along the Little Withlacoochee River), here's what I seee -> pic below. Several of the 16 map options on browse mapping offer US county boundaries. I like Esri World Topo best. (There's a cache on the tri-corner of three counties.  I'd have to go to it and map it carefully to be sure of county. )

You can doubtless do the same thing for your county of interest.  

county.jpg

8 hours ago, Aix sponsa said:

I have a challenge that requires that I find all the caches in a county.

Cool.  I'm guessing it's an older one, as I didn't think that this would be publishable under the new challenge guidelines.

Do you get to pick the county, or is it a particular one? If the latter, I can see how a tough puzzle could derail the effort.

22 minutes ago, hzoi said:

Cool.  I'm guessing it's an older one, as I didn't think that this would be publishable under the new challenge guidelines.

Seems you're wrong:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=206#criteria

See the second last item. :o

Challenge cache criteria may be based upon these geographic areas: countries, states/provinces, counties (or their local equivalent).

Hans

Edited by HHL
typo
17 minutes ago, HHL said:
38 minutes ago, hzoi said:

Seems you're wrong:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=206#criteria

See the second last item. :o

Challenge cache criteria may be based upon these geographic areas: countries, states/provinces, counties (or their local equivalent).

But see item #12:

Finding all or any percentage of the caches, or of a cache type, rating, or other allowable value within a specified area; e.g. 80% of EarthCaches in France is not publishable.

29 minutes ago, HHL said:

Seems you're wrong:

Seems I'm not.  I don't have all the rules memorized, as I don't review challenge caches, but I do try to stay current.

• check.png Finding a discrete number in a specified area, e.g. some reasonable number of EarthCaches in France would be publishable.
  • error.png Finding all or any percentage of the caches, or of a cache type, rating, or other allowable value within a specified area; e.g. 80% of EarthCaches in France is not publishable.

The rule you quote does allow county-based challenges, e.g., "find one cache in every Landkreis in Hessen," but it is subject to the latter rule, so it would not permit, e.g.,  "find all caches within Main-Taunus-Kreis."

edit: my interwebs are slow today; looks like nariD pulled up the guidelines a little quicker.

Edited by hzoi
  • Helpful 1
1 minute ago, HHL said:
15 minutes ago, hzoi said:

but it is subject to the latter rule,

Thanks for opening my old eyes. :) I should have had more coffee this morning. :rolleyes:

Hans

Or less beer this afternoon - come on, Hans, it's 15:28 already!  :anibad:

I'm curious how all caches in a county could be found realistically for this challenge, knowing that some could be archived/added while attempting it.  

- Would that change by cacher ...  like one day I find 200, and another two days later only finds 192,  but it still counts the same for the challenge ?  

Thanks.  :)

1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

I'm curious how all caches in a county could be found realistically for this challenge, knowing that some could be archived/added while attempting it.  

- Would that change by cacher ...  like one day I find 200, and another two days later only finds 192,  but it still counts the same for the challenge ?  

Thanks.  :)

Yeah depending of where you live it could be relatively easy or impossible...

In Nova Scotia the lowest county is 203 caches and the highest is 5805 caches

In Québec the lowest county is only 14 caches and isn't even in a remote area and the highest is 2955 caches

10 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

Yeah depending of where you live it could be relatively easy or impossible...

In Nova Scotia the lowest county is 203 caches and the highest is 5805 caches

In Québec the lowest county is only 14 caches and isn't even in a remote area and the highest is 2955 caches

Here in New South Wales (Australia), there's quite a few counties with less than 10 caches.

image.png.30b8d75d4e39db789530950511c5e959.png

I'm not sure where that bottom one with no county is. There may also be some that have no caches as they probably wouldn't appear on Project GC's list.

9 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I'm not sure where that bottom one with no county is.

Someplace that falls in a gap in project-gc's county polygons, maybe?  Perhaps a cache that the owner listed in NSW, but is actually within another state/territory.  Or, out in the ocean, past where the polygon boundaries go.

• Helpful 2