TB Code

Deepdiggingmole

Hi 

If I wanted to ask for a specific TB code - one that I know has not been activated yet - where / who would I ask to see if it is linked to a TB/coin already and already 'taken' or whether it is free to obtain (I dont mean free as in no cost - I mean available for me to obtain ) 
I have noted a specific code that the combination of letters/numbers would be very unique to me personally hence the reason for asking 

thanks

Edited by Deepdiggingmole
spelling corrections
1 hour ago, Deepdiggingmole said:

Hi 

If I wanted to ask for a specific TB code - one that I know has not been activated yet - where / who would I ask to see if it is linked to a TB/coin already and already 'taken' or whether it is free to obtain (I dont mean free as in no cost - I mean available for me to obtain ) 
I have noted a specific code that the combination of letters/numbers would be very unique to me personally hence the reason for asking 

thanks

You can't order a custom TB code.  If you make your own Geocoins, you can order a prefix of, I think, two letters.

But some big Geocaching Events have booths that sell trackable items, and you might look at the codes.  I've picked some previously where the code has something cool about it.  Usually, I'm only trying to ensure there aren't numbers and letters that are hard to distinguish, like "O" and "0" within the same code, or whatever.  But sometimes there's something llike a word or pattern that I like.  It's unlikely that you'd find your specific code, however.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, kunarion said:

If you make your own Geocoins, you can order a prefix of, I think, two letters.

Is it possible to find out who/where does do/own the two prefix letters - interestingly the code I have an interest in does have 2 letters followed by 4 numbers and I have seen TBs with codes very similar 

3 hours ago, Deepdiggingmole said:

Equally - someone, somewhere must keep a record of all the possible tracking codes - and know which ones have been sold out and which ones are still unused - else there would be the potential for duplication 

I've seen the 2-letter prefixes mostly on promotional coins and tags.  HQ maintains the database, assigns codes, and works on resolving issues.  I doubt you'd be offered the chance to look through the list. 

• Funny 1