Local Neighborhood Church

Not sure if this one's been suggested before, but I didn't see anything with the search. This category (which needs a better name) is essentially what it says in the title, a category similar to the Local Neighborhood Grocer category, but instead for churches. I come from a city that is locally famous for having a church and a bar on every corner, and most of these churches are very small and only bring in a few families each. I feel like these types of small, more personal churches would be good for a new category, but I want to hear what the rest of you guys think

• Funny 1
4 minutes ago, Alfouine said:

We have a lot of categories for churches, and especially small churches, like Country Churches or Waychapels and all dedicated religion churches categories or Religious Buildings Multifarious

Yeah, I looked through all of those to see if this category has already been done. I was thinking it’s similar to country churches, but that category specifies they have to be outside city lines

7 hours ago, pixelteer425 said:

Not sure if this one's been suggested before, but I didn't see anything with the search. This category (which needs a better name) is essentially what it says in the title, a category similar to the Local Neighborhood Grocer category, but instead for churches. I come from a city that is locally famous for having a church and a bar on every corner, and most of these churches are very small and only bring in a few families each. I feel like these types of small, more personal churches would be good for a new category, but I want to hear what the rest of you guys think

With most of the major church denominations, and then MegaChurches and Churches Multifarious, I think ALL churches can now be waymarked in a category. Country Churches has a delineation that makes it special. How would your idea be so different? Only 1000 sq ft or less, only XX attendance. How would reviewers be able to verify this?

3 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

With most of the major church denominations, and then MegaChurches and Churches Multifarious, I think ALL churches can now be waymarked in a category. Country Churches has a delineation that makes it special. How would your idea be so different? Only 1000 sq ft or less, only XX attendance. How would reviewers be able to verify this?

That’s a fair point, and one I haven’t considered. Do you happen to know what the distinction for Local Neighborhood Grocer is? I think it could use the same one, since they’re a similar concept

1 hour ago, pixelteer425 said:

That’s a fair point, and one I haven’t considered. Do you happen to know what the distinction for Local Neighborhood Grocer is? I think it could use the same one, since they’re a similar concept

but there are not categories for all the grocery chains. There are for Krogers, Aldi and Publix. Not for Albertsons, Jewel (are they still around?), Homeland, etc. And the local grocery is for non-chain stores. That means - to me - that a local neighborhood church would not be in any specific denomination, but then it's multifarious.  Can you give an instance of a church that would NOT fit into an existing category?

Edited by vulture1957
  • Upvote 2

I want to commend you for your enthusiasm - it's great to see in someone new.  That said, you need to experience posting more waymarks before you try to create a category.  1 posted waymark is not enough experience to know how to do a good writeup for a category.  The problem with your concept of a neighborhood church is that ANY church of ANY denomination located in a neighborhood (what defines a neighborhood?  small town, within a few blocks? ..etc?) can be waymarked.  The category is too broad; it overlaps too many other categories already in place; and it is EXACTLY what the multifarious denomination was designed to do - catch those churches that weren't being waymarked.  The neighborhood grocer category is again a "catch-all" to be able to waymark those unaffiliated grocery stores that aren't able to be waymarked. 

You can still do a REALLY great write up on those churches in the categories they are designed for - that is EXACTLY what Waymarking is for!  TELL the stories of those churches - what makes them special and unique!  You do not need a brand new category for that - especially a proposed one that, from experience, will not pass peer review as that is why the multifarious category was created to end the parade of church denominations and types being proposed.     

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
4 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

but there are not categories for all the grocery chains. There are for Krogers, Aldi and Publix. Not for Albertsons, Jewel (are they still around?), Homeland, etc. And the local grocery is for non-chain stores. That means - to me - that a local neighborhood church would not be in any specific denomination, but then it's multifarious.  Can you give an instance of a church that would NOT fit into an existing category?

Great minds think alike and at the same time!

1 hour ago, iconions said:

I want to commend you for your enthusiasm - it's great to see in someone new.  That said, you need to experience posting more waymarks before you try to create a category.  1 posted waymark is not enough experience to know how to do a good writeup for a category.  The problem with your concept of a neighborhood church is that ANY church of ANY denomination located in a neighborhood (what defines a neighborhood?  small town, within a few blocks? ..etc?) can be waymarked.  The category is too broad; it overlaps too many other categories already in place; and it is EXACTLY what the multifarious denomination was designed to do - catch those churches that weren't being waymarked.  The neighborhood grocer category is again a "catch-all" to be able to waymark those unaffiliated grocery stores that aren't able to be waymarked. 

You can still do a REALLY great write up on those churches in the categories they are designed for - that is EXACTLY what Waymarking is for!  TELL the stories of those churches - what makes them special and unique!  You do not need a brand new category for that - especially a proposed one that, from experience, will not pass peer review as that is why the multifarious category was created to end the parade of church denominations and types being proposed.     

Thank you for the feedback. I know I'm new, it's just an idea I had on a whim and was wondering if it had any need to be made. The church that made me think of it is one that is on the end of my block, which seems to be for a specific denomination of Christianity that I've never seen before, and only ever has 5 or less cars parked next to it. That's the idea I had for the category, a church that's very small (like around the size of a house) and has a small audience. But I agree with what vulture said in that other than the size aspect these would be very hard to verify and enforce

• Funny 1

these would be very hard to verify and enforce

I also commend you on your first category proposal. 

Like many before, new waymarkers create categories only to realize most likely there is a category already. 

specific denomination of Christianity

If you would share the name of the church and denomination, I may be able to assist you.

• Funny 1
5 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

That means - to me - that a local neighborhood church would not be in any specific denomination, but then it's multifarious.  Can you give an instance of a church that would NOT fit into an existing category?

I am reminded that I have photos of a "biker church" that I spotted some years ago.  Non-denominational, it didn't fit into a category until the multifarious one came around.  "Voici" an example of something that might be that ol' local neighborhood church, but it already fits into an existing category.

Edited by QuarrellaDeVil
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, T0SHEA said:

If you would share the name of the church and denomination, I may be able to assist you.

The name is New Destiny Church. I was unable to find the specific denomination on their website. After thinking some more, I feel that if this category was to be made, the number one thing it would be looking for is a physically small church (around the size of a single story house) that caters to less than 100 (or so) members

1 hour ago, QuarrellaDeVil said:

I am reminded that I have photos of a "biker church" that I spotted some years ago.  Non-denominational, it didn't fit into a category until the multifarious one came around.  "Voici" an example of something that might that ol' local neighborhood church, but it already fits into an existing category.

That’s a very interesting idea for a church, for sure. Thanks for the advice

Just now, pixelteer425 said:

Yep, 11th and Elm

Yes, I did locate it.

Is not quite what I expected looking on Google map. It is a nice building.

I did find their website. (not facebook) What do you want me to do? I can post it here or sent it to you from your profile page.

From what I read it is a Non-Denominational church (Spirit filled) and should be a nice addition to the RBM Religious Buildings Multifarious

Please read the category requirements before you go, be sure to take lots of pictures. The RBM requires a minimum of 3 pictures. Though not required, inside pictures are a bonus. 

I will look forward to reviewing the New Destiny Church.

If you are interest , there are several more churches in the area that would also qualify in the RBM. 

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
38 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

Yes, I did locate it.

Is not quite what I expected looking on Google map. It is a nice building.

I did find their website. (not facebook) What do you want me to do? I can post it here or sent it to you from your profile page.

From what I read it is a Non-Denominational church (Spirit filled) and should be a nice addition to the RBM Religious Buildings Multifarious

Please read the category requirements before you go, be sure to take lots of pictures. The RBM requires a minimum of 3 pictures. Though not required, inside pictures are a bonus. 

I will look forward to reviewing the New Destiny Church.

If you are interest , there are several more churches in the area that would also qualify in the RBM. 

Don't worry about sending the website, like I said I've already looked through it. Thanks for the other information

• Love 1
On 4/19/2020 at 12:04 PM, iconions said:

Well said, Tom.

On 4/19/2020 at 12:15 PM, vulture1957 said:

and as for the local grocery -- I use that for the "specialty" ethnic grocers. Asian, Mexican, mediterranean, hallal, African, kosher.

I tend to agree with Lee here, with a caveat, that being that many neighbourhoods are home to little family run grocery stores that are as old as the neighbourhood itself, often still run by descendants of the original operators, becoming, if not a national treasure, at least a local treasure.