iPhone App Uploading Save File

pixelteer425

6 hours ago, Tungstène said:

No there isn't any way. Your only chance to mark a cartridge as completed on Wherigo.com website is to use the completion code the cartridge will give you, if any (the display of this value depends on the cartridge's author willingness).

Alright, thank you. That kinda stinks, I was hoping to mark them complete as I finished them since the website says you can upload the file. Is that outdated or is it only possible with a GPSr?

5 minutes ago, pixelteer425 said:

Alright, thank you. That kinda stinks, I was hoping to mark them complete as I finished them [...]

It's still possible if the cartridge gave you the completion code. The majority of them do that at the end of the play by talking to a Character, by adding an Item into your Inventory, by telling it in the description of the visible Zone, or some other methods.

6 minutes ago, pixelteer425 said:

[...] the website says you can upload the file. Is that outdated or is it only possible with a GPSr?

I believe it is/was only possible with some Garmin GPSr. This part of the Wherigo game engine was never made public and nobody found (nor had the mood to find) how to generate Garmin-compatible save files (*.GWS).

That's not a big deal because, anyway, some Wherigo cartridge creators forget to set the "cartridge completed" flag at the end of their cartridges. And moreover, the completion code system is somewhat universal (it works with all players around [i.e. Android, IOS, GPSr, Pocket PCs]).

Finally, you must be aware that this "unlocking" the Wherigo website talks about is just for this other game named Wherigo. I think you already have noticed that this particular game never gained a lot of interest. It is nearly abandoned (see how these 2008 updates are marked as "New"?). It only survives because Groundspeak tried to cross both games by allowing the publication of Wherigo Caches (these are Geocaches which are found by playing a Wherigo game). Unlocking a Wherigo cartridge isn't a requirement to find the geocache(s) linked to it (if any).

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, Tungstène said:

It's still possible if the cartridge gave you the completion code. The majority of them do that at the end of the play by talking to a Character, by adding an Item into your Inventory, by telling it in the description of the visible Zone, or some other methods.

I believe it is/was only possible with some Garmin GPSr. This part of the Wherigo game engine was never made public and nobody found (nor had the mood to find) how to generate Garmin-compatible save files (*.GWS).

That's not a big deal because, anyway, some Wherigo cartridge creators forget to set the "cartridge completed" flag at the end of their cartridges. And moreover, the completion code system is somewhat universal (it works with all players around [i.e. Android, IOS, GPSr, Pocket PCs]).

Finally, you must be aware that this "unlocking" the Wherigo website talks about is just for this other game named Wherigo. I think you already have noticed that this particular game never gained a lot of interest. It is nearly abandoned (see how these 2008 updates are marked as "New"?). It only survives because Groundspeak tried to cross both games by allowing the publication of Wherigo Caches (these are Geocaches which are found by playing a Wherigo game). Unlocking a Wherigo cartridge isn't a requirement to find the geocache(s) linked to it (if any).

Awesome, thanks for all the help. I'm rechecking the app and website and I don't see the cartridge that even made me feel the need to ask this question. But I'm sure it would have come up sooner or later