TB reappeared after five years!?!

da51her

I placed a TB up in the mountains of Virginia about five years ago and it appeared to never make it back down again. Subsequent visitors never saw it. 
Oddly this evening I get a Discovered email from a user in South Africa (The Huskies) but the problem is I cannot message them as it states their account is locked. 
Is there anyway I can find out or get in touch to find out if this is legit?
Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Ah.  I was wondering why I got a 'discovered' from the Huskies, but it did not show on the trackable.

It took me a few minutes to figure that out. When I clicked on their account and saw it was locked, I knew the forums would be the place to find out that others got the same visits.

I'm so disgusted with people who post those lists.

8 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Doesn't seem to be from a list.  No one else has logged a Discover.  

Yes, it is from a list. The guy behind this has a script that tests random alphanumeric codes and when he gets a "hit" - meaning that whatever system he is using reports that the code is valid - he adds it to his lists, which he posts daily on Facebook.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
17 hours ago, Moun10Bike said:

The guy behind this has a script that tests random alphanumeric codes and when he gets a "hit" - meaning that whatever system he is using reports that the code is valid - he adds it to his lists, which he posts daily on Facebook.

And he does this ... why?  Just because he can?  Thank you, TPTB, for staying on top of this and deleting and locking and all that to keep things as accurate as possible!  I just don't get people that like to mess thngs up for the rest of us.

19 hours ago, Moun10Bike said:

I'm sorry to tell you that it's not legit. That account logged 3000+ trackables today using lists generated and posted on Facebook by a disgruntled cacher.

Thank you for that. Did find it odd that after five years my London Taxi cab would just rock up in South Africa! Cheers. 

Edited by da51her
  • Upvote 1
On 4/16/2020 at 4:57 PM, Moun10Bike said:

Yes, it is from a list. The guy behind this has a script that tests random alphanumeric codes and when he gets a "hit" - meaning that whatever system he is using reports that the code is valid - he adds it to his lists, which he posts daily on Facebook.

Unfortunately this is too easy to do. If I genuinely wanted to, I, a 17yo techie with no social life, could make a script in a few hours that does this. It would definitely help if geocaching.com only allowed them to attempt to log a trackable X times a minute/hour, so for example if you enter an incorrect code 10 times in the time span of 60 seconds, it doesn't let you attempt to log in again for a few minutes. This type of concept is used for most sites when you try to log in- after so many failed password attempts they lock you out from trying for a little while. It would greatly reduce the efficiency of these scripts while almost never irritating real humans.

For the record I genuinely do not want to brute force anything, it was just an example. I love the geocaching community a lot.

Edited by Enjayen