How to correct a listing

I'm exploring Waymarking during this spring of 2020 - something new and different to do to keep my mind active!  A quick search shows 23 waymarks within 1 mile of my home, and 15 of those I pass by on my neighborhood walkabout several times a week (the others are across the freeway, less than a mile as the crow flies but not exactly walkable!)  There are also about 20+ geocaches placed by me, hubby, son, and others that I eyeball or check on regularly on my strolls around the area.

Anyway, I noticed several of those 15 that either no longer exist (replaced by other business or relocated), and one mispelling in the title.  I plan to get photos of at least the waymarks that have changed, perhaps more, as I walk around today.  Then what?  Submit a visit log with the photos and note the changes?  How do I get the title changed to the correct spelling of the town name?  These were created 10-12 years ago, with few or no visits since - is there such a thing as "lonely waymarks"? :P  Do I need a photo of ME at the waymark, or a GPS showing coordinates?  Or just the location so it's recognizable as the specific waymark?

Writing a log that's more than TFTW is not an issue for me; if you've read any of my geocaching logs, I like to write about the find!  It helps when I go back to read about a cache, my logs usually help me remember the find, the cache, and the day.  Not always, but I usually write enough to trigger a memory.  I've never (knowingly, deliberately!) visited a waymark before; logging a visit to one will be a first!

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

I'm exploring Waymarking during this spring of 2020 - something new and different to do to keep my mind active!  A quick search shows 23 waymarks within 1 mile of my home, and 15 of those I pass by on my neighborhood walkabout several times a week (the others are across the freeway, less than a mile as the crow flies but not exactly walkable!)  There are also about 20+ geocaches placed by me, hubby, son, and others that I eyeball or check on regularly on my strolls around the area.

Anyway, I noticed several of those 15 that either no longer exist (replaced by other business or relocated), and one mispelling in the title.  I plan to get photos of at least the waymarks that have changed, perhaps more, as I walk around today.  Then what?  Submit a visit log with the photos and note the changes?  How do I get the title changed to the correct spelling of the town name?  These were created 10-12 years ago, with few or no visits since - is there such a thing as "lonely waymarks"? :P  Do I need a photo of ME at the waymark, or a GPS showing coordinates?  Or just the location so it's recognizable as the specific waymark?

Writing a log that's more than TFTW is not an issue for me; if you've read any of my geocaching logs, I like to write about the find!  It helps when I go back to read about a cache, my logs usually help me remember the find, the cache, and the day.  Not always, but I usually write enough to trigger a memory.  I've never (knowingly, deliberately!) visited a waymark before; logging a visit to one will be a first!

First off, we all have to hope that the WMO (waymark owner) is still active. Then, when you get a photo (not necessarily with you in it, as some of us waymark solo and it would be very hard) you post the visit, and the photo. An email will go to the WMO's email address. They should review your visit and see what you have said about it. Then they should go and do the necessary corrections.

That's how it should work. If they no longer use that email, or have given up on Waymarking, then nothing may ever happen. But, you can be proud of doing your part to make it right.

I'm not sure if the reviewers can make changes after the waymark is published. Maybe a reviewer can let us know. If so, if you are still that concerned, you could contact the category managers and let them know. They could try to contact the WMO and get it corrected.  As a last resort, maybe Wayfrog can do something (but he's already really busy.)

Oh, and welcome to Waymarking. I hope you enjoy it and continue on with us.

Edited by vulture1957
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

I noticed several of those 15 that either no longer exist (replaced by other business or relocated), and one mispelling in the title.  I plan to get photos of at least the waymarks that have changed, perhaps more, as I walk around today.  Then what?  Submit a visit log with the photos and note the changes?  How do I get the title changed to the correct spelling of the town name?  These were created 10-12 years ago, with few or no visits since - is there such a thing as "lonely waymarks"? :P  Do I need a photo of ME at the waymark, or a GPS showing coordinates?  Or just the location so it's recognizable as the specific waymark?

Greetings, some of what you are saying is challenging. First, check the visit requirements per waymark as each category may have different requirements. 

As a note when you visit a waymark your log/visit, a notification is sent to the one who created it. Generally speaking a visit notification is not sent to an officer of that category unless him/her created the waymark. 

Now for changes: I would encourage you to make your suggestion/s in your visit log. I do read visit logs and have made changes, however this may not be the case with other waymarkers. Since you mentioned they were posted 10-12 years ago, the waymarker may not be active. 

If all else fails contact the leader of the group about your concerns and be sure to sent the link of that particular waymark so they will be able to find it, which will increase your odds of a correction being made.

Now about the ones that no longer exist, there are two schools of thought on this matter.

Some waymarker change the title to indicated "gone" "moved" or something like that. This preserves the history of the location/building. Others just are not aware of the changes, or just ignore it. Another possibility is depending on what changes to the business, it could be waymarked again if it fits into a different category. As an example the original waymark was for a quilt shop it closed and is now a tattoo shop. 

More questions, we will try to answer them.

Edited by T0SHEA
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

Anyway, I noticed several of those 15 that either no longer exist (replaced by other business or relocated), and one mispelling in the title.  I plan to get photos of at least the waymarks that have changed, perhaps more, as I walk around today.  Then what?  Submit a visit log with the photos and note the changes?  How do I get the title changed to the correct spelling of the town name?

I will also make changes to my own waymarks if someone uploads a log with good documentation.  However, you should have the option from the waymark's page -- where you see "Visit Waymark (Post Log)" -- to "Edit Waymark".  I'd suggest submitting your visit log like you're doing, and then you can go through the "Edit Waymark" process and fill in your changes.  Once you hit "Update Waymark", your suggested changes will go to the officers in that waymark's category, and they'll have a look at it and hopefully look at your visit log.  As an aside, and I don't know if others have this experience, but if I submit a change, without fail, the site will get after me about not providing a reason for changing the waymark's coordinates.  It's rare that I submit coordinate changes anyways, and I just provide "No change to coordinates, site bug" as my reason.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
3 minutes ago, QuarrellaDeVil said:

to "Edit Waymark".  I'd suggest submitting your visit log like you're doing, and then you can go through the "Edit Waymark" process and fill in your changes.  Once you hit "Update Waymark", your suggested changes will go to the officers in that waymark's category, and they'll have a look at it and hopefully look at your visit log. 

Good point.

Thank you all for your helpful replies - I will check the requirements for logging visits for each of those I plan to officially "visit" today, and gather the info I need to update things.  I may have more questions as I get deeper into this - thanks in advance for your patience!

2 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Thank you all for your helpful replies - I will check the requirements for logging visits for each of those I plan to officially "visit" today, and gather the info I need to update things.  I may have more questions as I get deeper into this - thanks in advance for your patience!

We're a friendly bunch. (Or try to be!)

Pick the categories you have an interest in, and learn the requirements for posting a waymark.

(Take LOADS of photos, it often gets most of the information required, even if they are not used on the listing!)

I have my favourite categories, and have waymarks all over the UK, but as more people get interested I find it's getting to a point I do the photos to make it a waymark and someone's beaten me to it! Never mind, it's still a visit.

1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

Just to add my experience: I once told a WMO in my visit log that their item had been moved, and there were new coords. I got chewed out, because a lot of WMO don't read those logs and I should have written to him/her directly.

what did he think the purpose of him getting the visit logs was?? take up internet space?

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Officers/reviewers can make changes to any waymarks in their category at anytime.  When you use the 'Edit Waymark' function, the request for changes will come back to the category reviewers.  If you happen to see that I'm a reviewer in the relevant category, feel free to contact me directly.

13 hours ago, elyob said:

Officers/reviewers can make changes to any waymarks in their category at anytime.  When you use the 'Edit Waymark' function, the request for changes will come back to the category reviewers.  If you happen to see that I'm a reviewer in the relevant category, feel free to contact me directly.

OK, so now I know that officers can make changes.  I didn't realize that I could edit other people's waymarks. I don't think I would, unless I had tried to get the WMO to do it first and got no response. And then, I would forward to category officers before taking action myself.

I posted 3 visits yesterday, and used the "Edit Waymark" for the spelling corrections in one of them; I see that has already been applied.  I still have photos of a few local fast food places and one restaurant that have either moved or are now a different place - most are posted by the same person, as are all the fast food places in this area.  I don't want that person to feel I'm picking on them by only posting visits to the places whose listings are innaccurate, but I don't quite get posting visits to McD's and Wendy's and BK that I have frequented multiple times in the time I've lived here.  Or am I overthinking this?  Maybe I should just try to contact the WMO directly first befroe posting anything?

3 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

Only if the leader has given "permission" to edit waymarks. 

It is under the heading "ranks" 

Then the officer can edit a waymark directly.

But the permission to approve edit suggestions is not separated from the permission to approve waymarks. Any officer can suggest an edit and then approve their own suggestion.

3 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

I posted 3 visits yesterday, and used the "Edit Waymark" for the spelling corrections in one of them; I see that has already been applied.  I still have photos of a few local fast food places and one restaurant that have either moved or are now a different place - most are posted by the same person, as are all the fast food places in this area.  I don't want that person to feel I'm picking on them by only posting visits to the places whose listings are innaccurate, but I don't quite get posting visits to McD's and Wendy's and BK that I have frequented multiple times in the time I've lived here.  Or am I overthinking this?  Maybe I should just try to contact the WMO directly first befroe posting anything?

I'm just thinking about time management -- it would be quicker for you to make one message to the WMO about them. Do your visits, and you can say in your visit that it has moved. Then, in a week or 2, go see if changes have been made, If not, then you can do the edit, if you want.

My 2 cents, and the way I'd work it.

• Helpful 1
On 4/17/2020 at 11:12 AM, vulture1957 said:

I'm just thinking about time management -- it would be quicker for you to make one message to the WMO about them.

Resolved - I emailed the WMO, who quickly added (LEGACY) to the titles, and I added a comment to each of those.  On one I logged a visit because although it's a fast food place that has been through some changes, it's now back to the same chain it was when it was originally waymarked in 2008.  The original WMO said I could go ahead and waymark the new restaurants that are in place of the (now) LEGACY places.

I may just do that - although I don't really want to go Waymarking every fast food place around, it will give me practice for the future when I find a category I AM interested in!  By Waymarking the new places that are in the old locations and the relocated restaurants, I would have 5 waymarks to play with.  And if they get rejected or I need to make adjustments, I will have learned something!

On 4/17/2020 at 2:05 AM, Max and 99 said:
On 4/16/2020 at 9:21 AM, CAVinoGal said:

I'm exploring Waymarking during this spring of 2020

Congratulations on your first waymark visits! 

Thank you!!  I'm beginning to see how this can become as addicting as geocaching....

8 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

I may just do that - although I don't really want to go Waymarking every fast food place around, it will give me practice for the future when I find a category I AM interested in!  By Waymarking the new places that are in the old locations and the relocated restaurants, I would have 5 waymarks to play with.

Are they in the same Waymark category or different ones?

If different, worth the practice, as you say.

I do try to get 'new' icons on the category grid, for Waymarks posted, and Waymarks visited.

(Also -back in the day- there used to be 'Grid Bingo' with all the different icons on the grid. Not sure if it's still played with so many more categories!)

3 hours ago, Bear and Ragged said:

Are they in the same Waymark category or different ones?

If different, worth the practice, as you say.

Different categories or entirely new structures/restaurants.  Three of the originals that are now marked LEGACY and have a new chain (so, a new category) in place.  Two are newly constructed at a new location, and would be a completely new waymark.  So, just for practice but then all the restaurant waymarks would be up to date! (At least until something changes again)  Right now all those places are open for drive thru only, the dining areas are closed.  I don't know how long that will be the case.