Equestrian Statues

Torgut

Just wondering what's the situation of a WM I submitted. It was initially declined on account of the main picture not being good enough. It happens that due the layout of the place it will be the best possible, so I resubmitted with this explanation and didn't hear about it since then.

43 minutes ago, Torgut said:

Just wondering what's the situation of a WM I submitted. It was initially declined on account of the main picture not being good enough. It happens that due the layout of the place it will be the best possible, so I resubmitted with this explanation and didn't hear about it since then.

Need more information. What was the Waymark? Which category, etc?

Keith

23 hours ago, Torgut said:

Problem with votes it's the exaggerated long period it can take. 

I agree in some cases they get caught in limbo. 

Whenever there is a vote pending in one of the categories either I manage or an officer, I monitor it and if it does clear the queue I release it. 

Your vote will complete tomorrow. 

I will not discuss the details for the initial decline nor about the vote here. 

You can contact me privately after the vote is completed. 

Edited by T0SHEA
3 hours ago, Torgut said:

Right. A good illustration of the people some categories have as officers. Another one to my blacklist restrict group. 

Max and 99 isn't an officer in that group - that was just a comment posted from a fellow waymarker in the forum. 

Again, my comments below are from a fellow waymarker with no skin in this game, but trying to give some thought process. 
The category states that "Visit the statue in person and post at least two contemporaneous photographs. There must be a close up of the rider and an overview of the statue. Include a photo of any signage or plaques found at the statue. A transcription is encouraged."  It also states:  "No generic, unnamed, riders such as Soldiers, Indians, Warriors or the like."  Here's the question:  How can someone, outside the country in question, know who that rider is from that photo?  Can you honestly state that from that photo you can tell who that is?  Again, if I was an officer in that category, I would vote no for my reasons above.

Approvals of waymarks aren't automatic.  Yes, you have completed all of this work, however, that work you have completed is still held to the standard set by the category description.  If that waymark does not meet the standard, it is going to be declined.  Getting upset at the reviewer isn't going to correct the issue of YOUR waymark not meeting the category standard - take the suggestion and fix the waymark if you can.  Lord knows I have had a waymark failed six times before I got the thing approved.   Sometimes, the waymark can't be fixed and you just have to let the proposed waymark go.  Yes, you can blacklist category, but remember, the reviewer has absolutely nothing personal when reviewing - they have VOLUNTEERED to do a nasty little job with really no thanks and a crapton of grief.  Again, this is my two cents and thoughts.

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 1
On 8/8/2020 at 7:30 PM, Max and 99 said:

Speaking of equestrian statues again...

How can something be waymarked in equestrian statues which requires it be a named rider, and also in the figurative category which requires it not be a specific person. Seems like a contradiction to me. 

Your concept of "contradiction" and mine appear to differ. We have here two categories, the requirements for each doubtless written by different people at different times. Each writer will have specific ideas and concepts concerning what they will and will not accept. It's not at all likely that these ideas and concepts will be identical, or that the writer of the latter will examine the work of the former before completing their own description and requirements. Even if they did so,  it's not guaranteed that the content of the former will greatly influence the creation of the latter.

Expecting the requirements of a category to follow in lock-step the requirements of a different, though similar, category is expecting a lot.

However - 

The categories are mutually exclusive:

"Figurative Sculpture is sculpture that is based on the human or animal figure, but NOT that of any one particular human or animal'"

A known, named rider cannot (or at least should not) be submitted to Figurative Public Sculpture. Hence one cannot be submitted to the other, hence there is no conflict, hence, why are we even discussing this non issue?

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
6 hours ago, elyob said:

Are we discussing a real life example, an equestrian statue with a named rider that was published in figurative sculptures category?

I wouldn't know, but I inferred that 99 knows of at least one. I've not checked and don't intend to.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII