Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
vulture1957

new waymarkers

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Also - Welcome to all the new comers here. Feel free to join the madness here, as well!!! We only haze newcomers for a few months, at most. :D

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

All cherries except one caramel!

 

Now - which was the caramel? I'm still as mystified as ever here. Caramels represent about 25% of the population at large. Obviously, I haven't yet divined the formula used. :( :wacko: :mad:

Edited by ScroogieII

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, vulture1957 said:

I'm seeing some new names posting waymarks in the "Newest Waymarks". Great to see. If any of them are seeing this, welcome!

 

Smurffaaja, GroVicking, CordeB, Theodd1, Blazer3T, MTBpointer, ilkkarsjs, Klabautermanden

 

Speaking of people with WAAAAY too much time on their hands...

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

All cherries except one caramel!

One of the reasons I scan newest waymarks is to catch new names for the Where's in a Name? Category. 

 

 

me, too! And look to see if there might be a category that I'm not currently looking for that sounds interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, ScroogieII said:

 

Now - which was the caramel? I'm still as mystified as ever here. Caramels represent about 25% of the population at large. Obviously, I haven't yet divined the formula used. :( :wacko: :mad:

I see nothing similar about elyob, lumbricus and iconions.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, vulture1957 said:

I see nothing similar about elyob, lumbricus and iconions.

 

As do I, but...

...Mebbe that Caramel newcomer will break it open for us, if 99 would just get off her butt and reply!!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

I see nothing similar about elyob, lumbricus and iconions.

 

I think they're great.

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

Theodd1 -- great name

A lot of difficulties with this young waymarker, who does not understand that one cannot go and look for photos from the internet to offer his new waymarks, even after having explained to him, so a lot of work of refusal and reprositions. It’s really difficult at times.

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

You made my day!

Why ?

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Are you denying his own photos?

No, it was pictures taken on the internet. After that, photos were taken on géocaching.com

Share this post


Link to post

It's always the same, when a waymarker use Internet photos, we decline waymarks because of this and when they published again the waymark, deleting Internet photos and adding their own photos, they are always complaining about officers and they don't understand, how we dared to decline their waymarks when they strictly follow the prerequisites.

The problem is when a waymarker starts to cheat after it's difficult to trust him...

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Many of the problems we face with stolen/borrowed photos have been laid on us by Groundspeak itself. Until a few years ago photos were allowed to be uploaded with EXIF data intact. Then, for reasons which remain unexplained, the site began stripping the EXIF, making it nigh impossible to verify the authenticity or ownership of photos which accompany Waymarks.

 

When this first happened I thought my Chrome EXIF reader extension had broken, but some testing revealed the truth. OH HOW I WISH Groundspeak WOULD REVERT TO NOT FIDDLING WITH THE EXIFs.

 

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2020 at 1:27 PM, pmaupin said:

No, it was pictures taken on the internet. After that, photos were taken on géocaching.com

yes, only Don Morfe can do this and get away with it

Edited by vulture1957

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, vulture1957 said:

yes, only Don Morfe can do this and get away with it

I do it too! How do you think I'm able to waymark so many centenarians? I get photos from anyone who will let me.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm also seeing not-familiar names in the listing of Newest Waymarks. Welcome back to all of you, too. Nice to see new waymarks from differing places.

Share this post


Link to post

I also noticed some names that I have not read for years, but now are active again, both posting and reviewing.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, fi67 said:

I also noticed some names that I have not read for years, but now are active again, both posting and reviewing.

yes, I posted that on 3 May

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Dear reviewers, you’re doing a great job, but maybe you should close back the doors of your smoke-filled rooms. Obviously I am not an unbiased reader, but to publicly stigmatize new users and say it's funny to deny submissions… well, it really says something about (some of) you.

Edited by Theodd1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Theodd1 said:

Dear reviewers, you’re doing a great job, but maybe you should close back the doors of your smoke-filled rooms. Obviously I am not an unbiased reader, but to publicly stigmatize new users and say it's funny to deny submissions… well, it really says something about (some of) you.

You are right, and I apologize for my part in that. 

You can't use someone else's photos in your waymarks. You need to take your own photos and use those in the waymarks. 

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you, appreciate it. And yes, I am adding only original and self made pictures now.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Theodd1 said:

Dear reviewers, you’re doing a great job, but maybe you should close back the doors of your smoke-filled rooms. Obviously I am not an unbiased reader, but to publicly stigmatize new users and say it's funny to deny submissions… well, it really says something about (some of) you.

Everytime you submit a waymark - you click two checkmarks.  One is for terms of service and one is for guidelines for submitting a waymark.  Terms of service state that; "Upload, post, transmit, or otherwise distribute any content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual property, or proprietary rights of any person, including without limitation under any privacy or publicity rights."
Pulling a photo from Facebook taken by someone else violates a.) Facebook's copyright and b') the original photo taker's copyright.  Not only did one person try to use that photo, but two.  Not only that, the second person resubmitted that waymark a second time to my category.  Normally, this wouldn't get caught, however, Mingo is quite possibly the World's most famous geocache and to pull a picture of Facebook and then say, "Yep, look at the photo I took when I live in Ontario, Canada, and was caching in Ontario the same day". Yea, pretty ballsy if you ask me. I actually belong to three Kansas geocaching groups where that exact photo was posted.
No, what this says about me is that I do not want my hobby ruined by geocachers who see a story posted on Facebook and think, wow, that looks like an easy waymark to get without any bleeping idea as to the process of Waymarking.  Pulling pictures off the internet is exactly how Waymarking got started - geocachers couldn't play by the rules with locationless caches or with virtuals.  
Now, if you go back through that thread, I was trying to get those waymarks denied.  I explained how it was impossible for the person in Ontario to drive out to western Kansas, take a picture of the sign WITHOUT logging Mingo drive back to the  airport and go caching in Ontario.  If that is making fun - so be it.  This is the first time in fifteen years anyone has heard a peep about a denial, and I was mainly worried about other categories I had no control.  
So thanks for the comment - maybe look into the mirror, though.
 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

OK, folks. This is MY thread, and it is to welcome new waymarkers (now that some are starting or returning, with the limitations of COVID). If you want to continue on this new thread, please make another.

Thanks

Edited by vulture1957
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

Welcome to @Pong03, and congrats on your first published waymark

That's my testing account. It says so on the profile. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

That's my testing account. It says so on the profile. 

well then welcome to your testing account. You got a waymark published, and 2 visits!

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/31/2020 at 10:38 AM, Max and 99 said:

That's my testing account. It says so on the profile. 

Now I'm curious as to why you have a "testing account". I expect I know at least a bit of the answer.

I probably do some of the same things, but just use an existing WM.

However, other, new, potential uses come to mind as I think about it. I'm curious as to the uses you have found for it, some/many of which may be useful to the community at large.

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Well, Lee, I've managed to contain myself these many days, but cannot do so any longer.

KUDOS for what you're doing here!!!

You are, in my experience, the first and only Waymarker ever to have taken the time, and made the effort, to consciously and personally welcome each and every newcomer to the Waymarking Game. Your endeavour is to be commended, and needs to be acknowledged by the incumbent community.

 

Ours is a small one and would doubtless certainly benefit from the addition of the new blood which you bring to our attention almost daily.

 

Again, KUDOS to Lee for his foresightful acknowledgement of and greetings to our newcomers!!!

 

And, for my part, to all the newcomers - Welcome To Waymarking - some of you quickly will find it distasteful/boring/taxing/uninteresting. Some of you will forever remain indifferent. But some of you will embrace Waymarking, as have the ones who have gone before you, contributing to the continuance of this hobby/game/lifeline. You will settle in with them and become part of a true "community". None who have come here and participated in good faith have been shunned. We make acquaintances, we make friends; as happens in all communities, some will create adversaries, but I know of no enemies here.

 

Keith

 

Back over to you, Lee.

Edited by ScroogieII

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ScroogieII said:

Just had a thought, Lee.

Might it be a good idea to mirror, or post a link to, this thread in Getting Started with Waymarking?

Many newbies may first check that for what might be learned.

 

Back over to you...

I believe that the Getting Started is for questions from newcomers. That is why I did this here.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

Well, Lee, I've managed to contain myself these many days, but cannot do so any longer.

KUDOS for what you're doing here!!!

You are, in my experience, the first and only Waymarker ever to have taken the time, and made the effort, to consciously and personally welcome each and every newcomer to the Waymarking Game. Your endeavour is to be commended, and needs to be acknowledged by the incumbent community.

 

Ours is a small one and would doubtless certainly benefit from the addition of the new blood which you bring to our attention almost daily.

 

Again, KUDOS to Lee for his foresightful acknowledgement of and greetings to our newcomers!!!

 

And, for my part, to all the newcomers - Welcome To Waymarking - some of you quickly will find it distasteful/boring/taxing/uninteresting. Some of you will forever remain indifferent. But some of you will embrace Waymarking, as have the ones who have gone before you, contributing to the continuance of this hobby/game/lifeline. You will settle in with them and become part of a true "community". None who have come here and participated in good faith have been shunned. We make acquaintances, we make friends; as happens in all communities, some will create adversaries, but I know of no enemies here.

 

Keith

 

Back over to you, Lee.

so, so many of the new waymarkers have not registered for the Forums. Too bad, they could get some good info and probably have a better time, and maybe even stay with Waymarking longer.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

so, so many of the new waymarkers have not registered for the Forums. Too bad, they could get some good info and probably have a better time, and maybe even stay with Waymarking longer.

 

...and get a pleasant welcome.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2

×
×
  • Create New...