Geocache/Waymark Twofer

4 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Geocaching is a retirement hobby, and now it looks like I'm adding Waymarking to the mix as well!

well, you are CA Vino Gal -- we expect some wonderful write-ups of the California wineries. (be ware, look at the category BEFORE going to the winery. Very exacting requirements and some questions you'll have to ask the winery about.)

We'll hurt you and MAKE you go visit wineries and sample the wines! We're so mean.:lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
44 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Guilty - at least until the past few days...

Got it!

I'm not intimidated - in fact, I  am loooking forward to the challenge!  I put some effort into my geocache hides as well, and they don't get a lot of finds because they take some effort to find as well.  And those are the type of caches I enjoy finding the most - the ones that take some effort.  Yes, we do some quick park n grabs, but we also do hikes, and puzzles, and it's more about the places we can go than the numbers.  Geocaching is a retirement hobby, and now it looks like I'm adding Waymarking to the mix as well!

Welcome and thanks for taking a deeper look at the hobby - like anything, the more you put in, the more you can get out.  I was lucky to have a couple of really great mentors when I started out - they always taught me to SELL the waymark; entice people to want to visit it in your writeup.  This is why I will always have more pictures waiting for me to process - it takes time to do a good writeup, especially when it comes to old buildings - and you can't find documentation.  I've actually have learned a little bit about architecture, especially Victorian era architecture, because of my love of old buildings in this era.  I hope to be able to review some of your waymarks in the future! 

45 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

well, you are CA Vino Gal -- we expect some wonderful write-ups of the California wineries. (be ware, look at the category BEFORE going to the winery. Very exacting requirements and some questions you'll have to ask the winery about.)

We'll hurt you and MAKE you go visit wineries and sample the wines! We're so mean.:lol:

This is one category I wish I could still do - I used to LOVE visiting wineries when I was much younger.  Alcohol is one of my migraine triggers so I hafta stay away from it...  Maybe I can get the wife or daughter to do the dirty work for me?????  :)  :D

1 hour ago, vulture1957 said:

(be ware, look at the category BEFORE going to the winery. Very exacting requirements and some questions you'll have to ask the winery about.)

This is very important for new waymarkers, I've found out. I went to post a You Are Here map waymark, and upon getting home and haven taken ~5 photos of the map, I realized it also needs a photo of the area around the map. Now I know to always check the category before setting out to get pictures and coordinates

6 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

Oooohhh, I'm so scared and nervous now!!!  :lol:

Actually, hubby and I pour wine at a local Wine cooperative, we know most of the winemakers, and I've placed a few caches that are themed around the local wine industry, and I can probably waymark most of the local wineries; it doesn't look like this valley has been touched by waymarkers!  Go ahead, MAKE me visit all those wineries!  Too bad they are currently closed for tasting - looking forward to the day we CAN go wine tasting again.  Where do I find these "very exacting requirements" for Waymarking a winery?

1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

Oooohhh, I'm so scared and nervous now!!!  :lol:

Actually, hubby and I pour wine at a local Wine cooperative, we know most of the winemakers, and I've placed a few caches that are themed around the local wine industry, and I can probably waymark most of the local wineries; it doesn't look like this valley has been touched by waymarkers!  Go ahead, MAKE me visit all those wineries!  Too bad they are currently closed for tasting - looking forward to the day we CAN go wine tasting again.  Where do I find these "very exacting requirements" for Waymarking a winery?

https://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=fd84d897-8a8e-4573-9f9b-9f982834f6af

Variables:
  • Winery Size
  • Attached vineyard?
  • Tasting Room Available?
  • Days and hours of operation
  • Charge for tasting?
  • Tours Available
  • Cost of Tour
  • Phone #
  • Address
  • Winery's Website
  • Types of wines
  • Best Wine Tasted
  • Rate the Best Wine Tasted
  • Price per Bottle
  • 2nd Best Wine Tasted
  • Rate the 2nd Best Wine Tasted
  • Price per Bottle #2
  • Winery Club
  • Wine Club Description:
  • Overall Comments:

Winery size means number of barrels of wine they make per year. Not something I would normally be writing down for a waymark. (Imagine having to ask the pizza place "How many pizzas do you bake, per year?")

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

Winery size means number of barrels of wine they make per year. Not something I would normally be writing down for a waymark. (Imagine having to ask the pizza place "How many pizzas do you bake, per year?")

That's a fairly typical question for one winemaker/industry worker to ask when visiting another winery/tasting room.  We are asked that question about the place we work, and we ask when visiting other wineries at times - what's your production?  How many cases (not barrels, as they can vary in size) of (name varietal here) do you produce each year?  And even that can vary greatly from year to year - weather, fires, a lot can affect the yield, especially for smaller producers like the ones that I am most familiar with!  Anyway, those details are easy enough to come by on any visit, especially if I know I am planning to create a waymark.  This is going to be fun!! (Once the tasting rooms are open again!)

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

That's a fairly typical question for one winemaker/industry worker to ask when visiting another winery/tasting room.  We are asked that question about the place we work, and we ask when visiting other wineries at times - what's your production?  How many cases (not barrels, as they can vary in size) of (name varietal here) do you produce each year?  And even that can vary greatly from year to year - weather, fires, a lot can affect the yield, especially for smaller producers like the ones that I am most familiar with!  Anyway, those details are easy enough to come by on any visit, especially if I know I am planning to create a waymark.  This is going to be fun!! (Once the tasting rooms are open again!)

In the whole world, only 400 wineries have been waymarked.  We're expecting big things from you.

• Surprised 1
On 4/12/2020 at 8:14 AM, bluesnote said:

It's actually fun to see how many waymarks can you create at one place. Heck, if you can get at least 7 waymarks in 7 different Waymarking departments, you can create a Lucky 7 waymark.

Ah! For you :-) I truly dislike multiple WM's of the same thing. And I suspect most of my dislike comes from the mess it is to see a bunch of WM's of the same thing when, centuries ago, I thought about using Waymarking to help me prepare my trips. It just made me quit the idea. No fun in browsing two pages full of the same place in different categories. 

So, these days I only create WM's and when I do that, I submit to what I think is the most significant category. Or the one I like the most. 

• Upvote 1
On 4/15/2020 at 9:08 PM, CAVinoGal said:

So...Waymarking is more a catalog of those things that I find interesting, and wish to memorialize or chronicle, without expecting others to necessarily find interesting or visit at some point?  And geocaching is that I hide something, and others find it.  Two different mindsets, and games...that sometimes find a common ground. Or, rather, the same person can find enjoyment in both activities, and sometimes the two intersect at a common location.

I contacted a geocaher about a week ago, asking her if she would assist me in a Where's In A Name waymark. She went out and found a great 1100 mile long trail thru her town that had a crossing on my coord. I think a wonderful waymark. And just yesterday I got a note from her. She put up a geocache at the site to commemorate her assisting on a waymark. That's a hell of a neat "common ground".

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2