Geocache/Waymark Twofer

27 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

No distance rule! Just fyi, one location/item may actually be waymarked in several different categories. 

The only time I hesitate on creating a waymark, in regard to geocaching, is if the waymark information will spoil a Virtual Cache. 

Thanks! I've heard other people mentioning one waymark being in multiple categories. Does each one require a seperate listing, or is it all on a single page for the location/object?

22 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Each category has its own requirements, so a separate waymark is created for each category it fits in. Each category has its own officers to review waymark submissions. 

Gotcha. Makes sense, but kind of a pain when you visit a statue and log the visit under three different waymarks

47 minutes ago, pixelteer425 said:

Gotcha. Makes sense, but kind of a pain when you visit a statue and log the visit under three different waymarks

It's actually fun to see how many waymarks can you create at one place. Heck, if you can get at least 7 waymarks in 7 different Waymarking departments, you can create a Lucky 7 waymark.

• Love 1
On 4/12/2020 at 6:16 AM, Max and 99 said:

No distance rule! Just fyi, one location/item may actually be waymarked in several different categories. 

The only time I hesitate on creating a waymark, in regard to geocaching, is if the waymark information will spoil a Virtual Cache. 

A local cacher set a multicache, counting items around a structure I'd waymarked previously.

Whilst you couldn't see all the items in one photo, they were equally spaced, so you could make an 'educated guess' at how many!

There are caches out there, that if a cacher were ever to click on "Nearest Waymarks" they might save a little bit of leg work. Very few (if any!) bother.

If I know there's a cache that uses information on something Im Waymarking, I try to avoid revealing that information.

7 hours ago, Bear and Ragged said:

There are caches out there, that if a cacher were ever to click on "Nearest Waymarks" they might save a little bit of leg work. Very few (if any!) bother.

OK, I'll admit, I haven't clicked on "Nearest Waymarks", until today.  There are close to 500 within 10 miles of my home! - and on the first page of 25, at least 5 of the businesses no longer exist (replaced by others, or relocated), and one has been replaced by another, twice, and is now back to the original business.  Plus there is a misspelling in the title of another - which happens to have been listed by a geocacher I know. (All within the first page of 25, I didn't look further).  Seven have no recorded visits, all but one of the visits were 2010 or earlier; the one visit in 2016 was on a waymark posted in 2014 (the most recent one).  How can I fix these?  Should I fix these?  Only one of the listers is a familiar name, as he's a geocacher I have met at local events.

I've "visited" all but one of the first 25 locations listed (having lived here for 40 years!) but in my 3 years of geocaching, I've never quite gotten the allure of Waymarking.  I still don't get the attraction of saying I've been to McDonalds, Burger King, Carl's, and all the other fast food places nearby.  Apparently others don't either, as the last recorded visits were mostly 2008 or 2010, or never.  Some locations ARE interesting, but there's a lot more uninteresting waymarks, at least it seems that way to me.  Admittedly, I haven't fully explored Waymarking.com, I just started digging deeper after Max and 99's little challenge in another thread.  

Sorry for taking this a little off topic.  To bring it back to the original question, several of these waymarks are at or near geocaches - and I had no idea!!

One waymarker goes by the name of retail96. he/she LOVES posting the retail categories. (I guess, reason for his name) Personally, I will post 1 and visit 1 location for most retail categories. They don't interest me. But I'm sure there are people who think going to cemeteries and looking at all the different headstones is creepy, but I think it is historically interesting. Finding barbershops with working barber poles is something I can do while driving around the area doing errands.  So I do the things that interest me.

Waymarking is different than Geocaching in one big aspect -- geocaches are expected to be visited. Waymarks we hope someone will see it and think it is interesting enough to visit.

18 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

Waymarking is different than Geocaching in one big aspect -- geocaches are expected to be visited. Waymarks we hope someone will see it and think it is interesting enough to visit.

So...Waymarking is more a catalog of those things that I find interesting, and wish to memorialize or chronicle, without expecting others to necessarily find interesting or visit at some point?  And geocaching is that I hide something, and others find it.  Two different mindsets, and games...that sometimes find a common ground. Or, rather, the same person can find enjoyment in both activities, and sometimes the two intersect at a common location.

And I can log visits to those waymarks near me that I consider "worthy" of a visit?  There are some historical plaques and such that are interesting, but McDonald's and Burger King?!?  Really?  Like geocaching, you don't have to log them all....right?

Edited by CAVinoGal
24 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

So...Waymarking is more a catalog of those things that I find interesting, and wish to memorialize or chronicle, without expecting others to necessarily find interesting or visit at some point?  And geocaching is that I hide something, and others find it.  Two different mindsets, and games...that sometimes find a common ground. Or, rather, the same person can find enjoyment in both activities, and sometimes the two intersect at a common location.

And I can log visits to those waymarks near me that I consider "worthy" of a visit?  There are some historical plaques and such that are interesting, but McDonald's and Burger King?!?  Really?  Like geocaching, you don't have to log them all....right?

on your Waymarking profile page, there is a tab for "category grid". I have decided to attempt to get an icon in as many grid squares as I can, one for postings and one for visitations. So I do try to get at east one visit for McDonald's.

Then, Max and 99 worked her butt off on Scavenger Hunts, and had to visit many waymarks because they ended up on her hunt list. (I'm working, slowly, on Scavenger Hunts, too)

So, the answer is Yes. Visit waymarks you want to. Want to try a new Mexican restaurant? Check out the waymark category, see if there is one that strikes your fancy. Eat some good food, collect a waymark visit. (I found a really good barbecue place on Waymarking.) Going to Dairy Queen for a Blizzard? Check out near waymarks and you might get a visit, or be able to post one.Got a favorite local pizza place? Waymark it!

1 hour ago, vulture1957 said:

Check out near waymarks and you might get a visit, or be able to post one.Got a favorite local pizza place? Waymark it!

This part I love. I'm looking at the Waymarking page, and there's a lot of things I know are interesting around my city that should be cataloged. For example, my (now old) school's mascot is a metal bear the shop class made some years ago. That's pure history right there! And another example, I was looking at the groups and found one for coin operated laundromats. Not the most interesting subject, sure, but I know of one a couple blocks away that I could add. But before this, I never paid the thing any mind! The crazy thing is, knowing the different categories and even just the existence of Waymarking can open your eyes to locations around you that you would've never passed a second glance to before

30 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Wait, what?

Back up.

There may be a group for coin-operated laundromats, but there isn't a category, right? Someone asked me about that a few weeks ago and I told him I've never heard of one.

To clarify: sometimes groups are started in the hopes of a getting a new category accepted in peer review, but it failed. The group is still listed, but no category came of it. I'm assuming that's what happened here. Can you clarify that you only saw it as a group name?

It doesn't show up on the category search, but the group page says that the category has been created and this is the page when you click on their managed categories. From what I can tell, there is a category but at the same time it's not showing up on the search so I'm not sure

Just now, Max and 99 said:

OK good, there's nothing there so it did not become a category.  I agree-it's confusing!

What a coincidence, though, that someone just asked me about a self-service laundromat category recently, because they thought there was one. When you mentioned it, I thought Uh oh, I was wrong!

Yeah, that is a pretty weird coincidence. So to make sure I understand, because it doesn't show up in the category search, it's not a category (yet)? That is a bit confusing, cause you would imagine if a group has "The Self Service Coin Operated Laundromats category has been created (with variables)" as it's category status, it would make sense to think that the category has been made. Maybe I'm missing something?

1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

It is a little confusing. If you see no waymarks listed, it's not a category.

At the very very bottom right of the Waymarking page is a link to Full Category List. That's the complete list of all categories, and really fun to browse. Don't look under Groups.

Alright, thanks for the help. I remember hearing about peer review for categories, is that what it means when it says it's been created but no waymarks have been posted? Or has it already failed peer review and is pretty much done

4 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I'd be guessing, since I didn't even know about that group. I will say that I don't recall, in the last 12 years or so, that group being put up for peer review, so I'm guessing that it never made it that far.

By the way, just out of curiosity, I looked up your area, for one of my favorite categories, and it doesn't look like your city has any Little Free Libraries waymarked! I didn't check Little Free Pantries, but that's our newest category so you'll probably be in luck there.

The group was created back in January of this year, so I don't know if that has anything to do with the peer review process, like if it takes so many months or the fact that corona is probably reducing the amount of new categories being created

I was looking into that, cause I was thinking of making a BookCrossing LFL. And like I mentioned in another thread about the eye-opening aspect of Waymarking, I was driving home the other day and noticed one on the side of a building near my house. I've driven past that building 100's of times, and never batted an eye. That's another one I'm gonna have to go out and make a waymark for

Edited by pixelteer425
10 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Well in that case, someone probably created a group in the hopes of getting a self-service laundromat category approved. Coronavirus wouldn't affect that at all, since all the discussions and voting are done online. Many of us are catching up on our Waymarking backlog, from vacations and other reasons, during the stay-at-home situation.

In a nutshell: someone has an idea, starts a group, maybe recruits a few waymarkers, (this step is important: submit idea on the forum), get feedback, and if warranted, submit the category for peer review. Peers have three days to vote on the category, based on several criteria. In the early early days, it was MUUUUUCH easier to get a category going. These days, it's much harder, and happens a lot less. So, don't judge early categories on what would be accepted today. For example, I suspect, but I don't know for certain, that McDonald's might not pass peer review if it was voted on these days. Many categories would be the same. Just as in geocaching, things were a lot different back then.

Ah okay, gotcha. I looked at the group's past activity, and they had two votes to approve the category. The first one failed, and the second one, a week later, was cancelled. So by the looks of it, the details page saying the category had been created was inaccurate, and like you said the category doesn't exist.

8 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Sorry-this just caught my attention.

There is a Bookcrossing category, and a Free Community Book Exchange category. They are two different categories, with different sets of requirements.

Plus the Little Free Pantry category, which is similar to the Free Community Book Exchange category.

Very interesting, I'll have to look into that. The one I saw the other day and the other one I know in my city are listed on the official LFL website, so I'll look at that category first and then see if they can also fit the other ones

EDIT: I started looking at categories and I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying there was both a LFL and a FCBE category, but from the looks of it there's only the latter

Edited by pixelteer425
1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

They don't have to be listed on the official LFL website, just fyi, but most I have found are listed there.

The LFL site now has a LFP site too, because of the coronavirus.

Yeah, I reread your post and looked at the categories. I misunderstood and thought you meant there was a category for official LFLs and one for other types of Free Community Book Exchanges

8 hours ago, pixelteer425 said:

The group was created back in January of this year, so I don't know if that has anything to do with the peer review process, like if it takes so many months or the fact that corona is probably reducing the amount of new categories being created

I was looking into that, cause I was thinking of making a BookCrossing LFL. And like I mentioned in another thread about the eye-opening aspect of Waymarking, I was driving home the other day and noticed one on the side of a building near my house. I've driven past that building 100's of times, and never batted an eye. That's another one I'm gonna have to go out and make a waymark for

I had never noticed the Ghost Bikes around my area, until I found the Waymarking category and found out what they were about. Now, I see them when I pass by.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Notice to everyone reading this forum thread: if we can ever convince pixelteer425 to create an ISS waymark, I get first dibs in Oklahoma!  :P

and here I am, being nice to you on a couple of hard-to-get categories  :wacko:  Let me know when, so I can do a visit.

Edited by vulture1957
8 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

I had never noticed the Ghost Bikes around my area, until I found the Waymarking category and found out what they were about. Now, I see them when I pass by.

One of the most important things I learned with the help of Waymarking: No matter where you live, and no matter how long you have been living there, there is still something that will absolutely surprise you. I was born in Vienna, Austria and have lived all my life (= 56 years) here and with the help of Waymarking I learned that we have a branch of  Big Brothers Big Sisters (never heard of that organization before starting to waymark), some Domino's Pizza restaurants (I searched them for the first time during a round-trip across Scotland just to find out that we already have some of them in my hometown after arriving at home) and only one TGI Friday's Restaurant in Austria (fortunately I was able to waymark it before somebody else did). I also learned, that there is a Grave with solar system on a cemetery in my hometown, which really surprised me. And like vulture1957 I also had no idea, what a Ghost bike is, until I found the category and fortunately I also found one of them in my hometown. So, I'm sure that there are even more things to learn about this beautiful city and whenever I prepare for the next vacation I make a list of all the categories that I might find there, but not at home. And after several years of Waymarking I have gotten used to people staring at me while I take photos of Painted Mailboxes, Dedicated Benches or the like. :-)

I started caching in 2006. 4 years later, I discovered the Waymarking site and it intrigued me. My first waymark I created was a McDonald’s that I visited often. In the last ten years of doing Waymarking, it has taught me to how to find the best kept secrets of towns. Historical markers, art sculptures, dedicated benches, etc. I’ve learned so much about the history of the places I visit, which is why I love this hobby so much! It’s a shame this hobby isn’t as popular as geocaching. I sometimes find it more enjoyable.

21 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Well in that case, someone probably created a group in the hopes of getting a self-service laundromat category approved. Coronavirus wouldn't affect that at all, since all the discussions and voting are done online. Many of us are catching up on our Waymarking backlog, from vacations and other reasons, during the stay-at-home situation.

In a nutshell: someone has an idea, starts a group, maybe recruits a few waymarkers, (this step is important: submit idea on the forum), get feedback, and if warranted, submit the category for peer review. Peers have three days to vote on the category, based on several criteria. In the early early days, it was MUUUUUCH easier to get a category going. These days, it's much harder, and happens a lot less. So, don't judge early categories on what would be accepted today. For example, I suspect, but I don't know for certain, that McDonald's might not pass peer review if it was voted on these days. Many categories would be the same. Just as in geocaching, things were a lot different back then.

Update: I just got an email from the leader of the group, it says the plan is to proceed to peer review soon. Here's hoping it passes!

11 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

My first waymark visit; It took many tries over several days to figure out the system and why we couldn't upload a photo.

Yesterday, I logged a few WM visits and photos, all went smoothly.  Today I logged a visit, but tried to upload 3 different photos and kept getting the error below:

image.png.51b120a71d12425ef0ed91e71816723b.png

Temporary glitch?  I tried several times - can I add photos later, even after the 24 hour edit window?

4 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Yesterday, I logged a few WM visits and photos, all went smoothly.  Today I logged a visit, but tried to upload 3 different photos and kept getting the error below:

image.png.51b120a71d12425ef0ed91e71816723b.png

Temporary glitch?  I tried several times - can I add photos later, even after the 24 hour edit window?

From what I understand yes, photos can be added at any time

Capture.PNG.8802c697f074e5e1d825a55b4e613f59.PNG

Edited by pixelteer425
1 hour ago, T0SHEA said:

Interesting, I was just about to post the same error message.

It seems to have resolved - I just uploaded the three images I was trying to earlier.  BUT, my log is dated the 16th, and the photos are dated today, the 17th.  The photos are attached to the log as that's how I uploaded them - how can I correct the date to the correct one?  Or is that not possible?

24 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

how can I correct the date to the correct one?  Or is that not possible?

From a visit log (edit)

"Once a log has been in the system for 24 hours it can no longer be edited (but can still be archived)."

Depending how important this is, you can delete the log and proceed with a new log, if I remember correctly you can change the log date. However, you will need to add the pictures to the new log.

I do not think, most Waymarkers pay that much attention to the date. It is up to the original creator of the waymark if you even follow the visit requirements. Only speaking for myself, I do not concern myself with visit requirements. It is about time management and really do not want to bother checking the visit requirements for each visit. It is a challenge to just remember the submission requirements for categories I post.  

50 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

From a visit log (edit)

"Once a log has been in the system for 24 hours it can no longer be edited (but can still be archived)."

I just added this log today, but dated it yesterday when I actually visited.  The photos were added later as the upload wasn't working, but only an hour or so later - the log was entered about 4 hours ago, photos about 3 hours ago, all well within the 24 hour window.  All I want to do is change the date on the photos to match the date of my visit.  And maybe I'm just OCD because no one seems to really read the logs on many of these so it really a non-issue if the photo date is one day off from my visit date!

It is messy, but we have learnt to live with it. In fact, some have even created their own type of playing the game just around this mess - which is also not going to help, because whenever something would be fixed, it would disturb the plans and fun of someone.

The photo date is the uploaded date (I don't know which one, more on this later). I have not yet cared about this date and I was not aware of anyone else caring about it. Until now. So this topic has not been researched yet.

The visit date you enter is the one displayed in the visit list at the bottom of the waymark. It is also used for the sort order of said list. But the dates in the calendar of your profile page are the keyboard dates - when you logged this visit on Waymarking.com. Strangely - other than the posting date, which is Pacific Time (Seattle) -, the visit date is using UTC (London, except DST).

Now the highlight: the last visited date of the list pages with 25 waymarks is --TADAAH: the manually entered date of the visit with the newest keyboard date, so it can jump back and forth for a given waymark.

Confused? You're welcome.

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
On 4/12/2020 at 1:07 AM, pixelteer425 said:

There are some cool areas that I think are deserving of a waymark, but are also able to have a physical container placed for a geocache.

Is it okay for the two of them to be in the same area?

Well, speaking of twofers...      

Not only these two hobbies, but a Letterbox may be close by, or even another site's geocache.   If it's a good spot...    ;)

We were in a very large park one day, and a geocache from another site was right next-to the one we were headed for. 

On the way out, we found a letterbox only 20' away.   We didn't look to see if a waymark was nearby too...

If we cared to, we could have "found" three location games in 20+ feet of space.   

It was the only time we've seen that, but have seen letterboxes or another geocaching site's hides close by.      :)

• Upvote 1
On 4/12/2020 at 12:07 AM, pixelteer425 said:

There are some cool areas that I think are deserving of a waymark, but are also able to have a physical container placed for a geocache. Is it okay for the two of them to be in the same area? Or is there a distance rule similar to the .1 mile rule for geocaches

another thought process -- If you place a waymark and leave others, folks may see your waymark, notice "Hey, that could also be a Such-n-Such" and they go take a picture for their own waymark AND DO A VISIT TO YOURS.

So, going to a cemetery, you could post a couple Woodmen of the World, another couple Centenarians, a couple Occupational/Hobby Headstones. Others would go for some more, and do visits to yours.

or, go to an older town. Post a couple Ghost Signs, a couple murals. Let the new waymarkers that come after have something close to post.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

another thought process -- If you place a waymark and leave others, folks may see your waymark, notice "Hey, that could also be a Such-n-Such" and they go take a picture for their own waymark AND DO A VISIT TO YOURS.

So, going to a cemetery, you could post a couple Woodmen of the World, another couple Centenarians, a couple Occupational/Hobby Headstones. Others would go for some more, and do visits to yours.

or, go to an older town. Post a couple Ghost Signs, a couple murals. Let the new waymarkers that come after have something close to post.

That's pretty smart! Kind of like the butterfly effect, or the old phrase "what goes around comes around"

EDIT: I misread, I thought you meant somebody would see a waymark posted, and think "hey I know something that would fit in that category" and go make a waymark for that. But what you originally meant is also a really cool idea

Edited by pixelteer425
4 hours ago, fi67 said:

I have not yet cared about this date and I was not aware of anyone else caring about it. Until now. So this topic has not been researched yet.

<snip>

Confused? You're welcome.

Oh, wow.  I'll not concern myself with dates on Waymarking, as it doesn't seem to be as exacting and critical as it is in geocaching, and if no one else cares, then I'll just leave it alone!  Especially if this date confusion bleeds over to other areas, I'll let it go.  I'm learning that Waymarking and geocaching are very different mindsets!!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, vulture1957 said:

In other words, share the wealth.  With over 1000 categories, and various degrees of interest among people, I'm sure you can find some to waymark and leave things for others too.  Who can keep in mind ALL the categories when visiting a place?  You choose what interests you, there's bound to be something among all those 1000 categories!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

In other words, share the wealth.  With over 1000 categories, and various degrees of interest among people, I'm sure you can find some to waymark and leave things for others too.  Who can keep in mind ALL the categories when visiting a place?  You choose what interests you, there's bound to be something among all those 1000 categories!

Yep, this is something I had to remind myself of. I went through the full list the other day, and wrote on my phone all the places around my hometown that could fit into those categories. But I took a step back and realized if I go ahead and make all of those waymarks, there would be a lot less left for the other people around here. So I'm planning on pacing myself, instead of making all of them within a week of each other

1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

Some categories are rare. Think about ferris wheels - how many are in your city/town? Maybe 2? If you post them both, then go convince some of your geocaching friends to try Waymarking, they see the category and think I know where there is one. When they try to post, they see you have already posted it. Then they go for the other, and see you also post that one. Then they think "Why did she try to get us to play this stupid game if she has already posted everything" Same with Ground Based Air Navigation, Numismatic Photos, Philatelic Photos, Ice Skating Rinks, maybe airports. I'm sure you'll find some more, depending on your location.

So, like you said -- Share The Wealth.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, pixelteer425 said:

Yep, this is something I had to remind myself of. I went through the full list the other day, and wrote on my phone all the places around my hometown that could fit into those categories. But I took a step back and realized if I go ahead and make all of those waymarks, there would be a lot less left for the other people around here. So I'm planning on pacing myself, instead of making all of them within a week of each other

for common things - Municipal Parks and Plazas, Figurative Sculptures (probably all sculptures), Libraries, Post Offices, Subway Restaurants, Colleges and Universities - go for it. For the cemetery ones, get a couple at each cemetery, then go to another cemetery. There are probably plenty of bridges for everyone. Just think, did it take you a long time ad lots of research to find this? And you found a second, leave one for the next player.

Ask Max and 99. I have suggested a few waymarks for her to  post. And then I go and take the picture for a visit. (Ice Rink, Mosque, Philatelic Photo, Air Nav.)

• Helpful 1
3 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

for common things - Municipal Parks and Plazas, Figurative Sculptures (probably all sculptures), Libraries, Post Offices, Subway Restaurants, Colleges and Universities - go for it. For the cemetery ones, get a couple at each cemetery, then go to another cemetery. There are probably plenty of bridges for everyone. Just think, did it take you a long time ad lots of research to find this? And you found a second, leave one for the next player.

Ask Max and 99. I have suggested a few waymarks for her to  post. And then I go and take the picture for a visit. (Ice Rink, Mosque, Philatelic Photo, Air Nav.)

Thanks for the help! That's probably my best bet. But I know for example there are two big bridges to a nearby city island, so even though bridges are fairly common I might just make a waymark for one of these and leave the other one for someone else

On 4/12/2020 at 12:07 AM, pixelteer425 said:

There are some cool areas that I think are deserving of a waymark, but are also able to have a physical container placed for a geocache. Is it okay for the two of them to be in the same area? Or is there a distance rule similar to the .1 mile rule for geocaches

Check out the Milk Bottle Grocery in OKC. It's waymarked in 11 different categories. WM9RJ8

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

Check out the Milk Bottle Grocery in OKC. It's waymarked in 11 different categories. WM9RJ8

That’s crazy! I know famous places like the Eiffel Tower are in lots of categories, but it’s cool to see something a lot smaller get the same attention. So this brings up another question of mine, if something is listed in two categories those two listings can use the same coordinates right?

5 minutes ago, pixelteer425 said:

if something is listed in two categories those two listings can use the same coordinates right?

Each category is completely independent in this respect. Technically, you can create an endless number of waymarks at the same spot. A few waymarkers prefer to move the coordinates a tiny bit to make them easier distinguishable on the GPX viewer of a potential visitor, but most are simply "stacking".

Within a category, it depends on the category description. For most categories this is just a hypothetical question, the situation does hardly ever occur in the real world, but there are a few that have covered this issue. I can recall two examples, there may be others:

"Cityscapes" has a .5 mile distance rule and "Philatelic Photographs" does allow multiple submissions for the same location, but only by a different waymarker.

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, fi67 said:

Each category is completely independent in this respect. Technically, you can create an endless number of waymarks at the same spot. A few waymarkers prefer to move the coordinates a tiny bit to make them easier distinguishable on the GPX viewer of a potential visitor, but most are simply "stacking".

Within a category, it depends on the category description. For most categories this is just a hypothetical question, the situation does hardly ever occur in the real world, but there are a few that have covered this issue. I can recall two examples, there may be others:

"Cityscapes" has a .5 mile distance rule and "Philatelic Photographs" does allow multiple submissions for the same location, but only by a different waymarker.

Thanks, that's what I thought based on what I've been seeing but wanted to be sure. My main reason for asking is definitely for the map view, since that's the way I normally view nearby waymarks

6 hours ago, pixelteer425 said:

Thanks, that's what I thought based on what I've been seeing but wanted to be sure. My main reason for asking is definitely for the map view, since that's the way I normally view nearby waymarks

If you're viewing the Waymarks on a web browser, it's always worth clicking on view nearest Waymarks.

The Waymarks will then be listed and visible if they have the same coordinates.

• Upvote 1
On 4/15/2020 at 9:08 PM, CAVinoGal said:

There are 1119 categories in Waymarking - I've been Waymarking since Groundspeak got rid of the locationless caches in 2005.  I, myself, will probably post in about 100 of these - mainly historical buildings, historical markers, and anything to do with a cemetery.  I will occasionally will post an odd fast food place, but that would be just while I am out and about and it is "in my way" of the other things I am Waymarking.  Did you know that over half of the Waymarking categories came from Geocaching and their locationless caches?  A lot of the "fast food" categories are also original to the game as the people creating it wanted a database for geocachers to be able to easily locateplaces to eat.

The original purpose of geocaching - and I'm talking before I started in April 2005 - was to bring people to places that were interesting, educational.  I can remember back when I first started that Kansas, the state I am in, had less than 1,000 caches in it.  The problem with geocaching now is just the explosion of - let's put a random cache here under a Lamp post cover so that we can pump up numbers.  I got very tired of signing wet logs in the middle of some Wal-Mart parking lot.  Why is this interesting?  It's no better, in my opinion, than a commercial waymark.  Problem is, don't point that out to a diehard geocacher...  I don't get trying to do something just for numbers.  Ah well.

Did you know that the Sultana Building in Williams, Arizona used to be a speakeasy, has a series of tunnels underneath it going to several other buildings in Williams, AND is haunted?  It just looks like a neighborhood divebar from the outside - I wouldn't have known that great history without doing the Waymarking writeup.  There are seven waymarks on that building.
Did you know that the Eldridge Hotel in Lawrence, Kansas survived Quantrill's Raid on August 21, 1863, and that it was also haunted?  There are eight waymarks on this building.
Did you know, that after the Battle of Little Big Horn, the troops of Custer's Command were buried where they fell.  This is why when you go to the Battlefield today, there are all of the white markers.  A year later, the troopers were buried in a mass grave on top of Custer Hill and the officers were buried elsewhere.  My very first waymark from August 2005 was of the burial site of Thomas Custer, brother of George.  Thomas was the recipient of TWO Medals of Honor for actions in the Civil War, very rare.  He is buried here in the Fort Leavenworth Cemetery here in Kansas.
I can go on and on about the really cool things I have seen and written up with my almost 6,000 waymarks.  In 15 years, I have waymarked 4 McDonald's and 4 Dairy Queens, even fewer of the others.  They just don't interest me, and guess what, like a really boring LPC, I don't have to do it.  I waymark what I like to waymark.   

So, why the long diatribe?  Geocachers always look at Waymarking and see that there are those pesky Commercial Categories and laugh.  They never dive any deeper.  I also believe that they see the work that actually goes into creating a good waymark and it intimidates them.  It's easier to ridicule something that you don't understand.  Again, I know both - geocaching left me behind many years ago...  

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, iconions said:

Geocachers always look at Waymarking and see that there are those pesky Commercial Categories and laugh. They never dive any deeper.  

Guilty - at least until the past few days...

In 15 years, I have waymarked 4 McDonald's and 4 Dairy Queens, even fewer of the others.  They just don't interest me, and guess what, like a really boring LPC, I don't have to do it.  I waymark what I like to waymark.   

Got it!

I also believe that they see the work that actually goes into creating a good waymark and it intimidates them.

I'm not intimidated - in fact, I  am loooking forward to the challenge!  I put some effort into my geocache hides as well, and they don't get a lot of finds because they take some effort to find as well.  And those are the type of caches I enjoy finding the most - the ones that take some effort.  Yes, we do some quick park n grabs, but we also do hikes, and puzzles, and it's more about the places we can go than the numbers.  Geocaching is a retirement hobby, and now it looks like I'm adding Waymarking to the mix as well!