Trackable Returning from a Trip

pixelteer425

Not sure if this question has been answered before, but I was unable to find anything so I decided to make a post. So I recently have picked up a trackable that is trying to head through Canada, and I'm holding onto it for a few days until I'm able to head by the border. Today I took a trip up north and grabbed a quick geocache while I was up there and logged a visit on the trackable. Upon returning home, I had it visit a geocache (that I've already found) a few blocks away so the map would show that it returned.

Is this the right thing to do? Or should I have waited to log it at the next cache I go to without resetting it to my "home base". Does this answer change if I get a personal trackable to show all of the geocaches I've been to? I don't think it would make sense for it to visit one an hour north of me before jumping to one half an hour west without first stopping at my house, unless that's the direct path I took. Any input is appreciated, this is my first time on the forums so if I messed something up please let me know

You visited it to a cache on the way home .  It's still in your hands.    Nothing's "messed up".   :)

I do think that's taking "movement of a trackable" a bit too literally, but it works for you.       

There is no "reset" anywhere.  If that was so, every time a  trackable leaves your home it would have zero miles.   

- It simply gains mileage.   ;)

Most we know who "visit" trackables, visit one cache in whatever group of caches they've found that day.  Done. 

Have fun.

• Helpful 1
20 minutes ago, pixelteer425 said:

Not sure if this question has been answered before, but I was unable to find anything so I decided to make a post. So I recently have picked up a trackable that is trying to head through Canada, and I'm holding onto it for a few days until I'm able to head by the border. Today I took a trip up north and grabbed a quick geocache while I was up there and logged a visit on the trackable. Upon returning home, I had it visit a geocache (that I've already found) a few blocks away so the map would show that it returned.

Is this the right thing to do? Or should I have waited to log it at the next cache I go to without resetting it to my "home base". Does this answer change if I get a personal trackable to show all of the geocaches I've been to? I don't think it would make sense for it to visit one an hour north of me before jumping to one half an hour west without first stopping at my house, unless that's the direct path I took. Any input is appreciated, this is my first time on the forums so if I messed something up please let me know

That's really nice of you to help the TB. I think the TBO needs some patience and gratitude for people moving it. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

You visited it to a cache on the way home .  It's still in your hands.    Nothing's "messed up".   :)

I do think that's taking "movement of a trackable" a bit too literally, but it works for you.       

There is no "reset" anywhere.  If that was so, every time a  trackable leaves your home it would have zero miles.   

- It simply gains mileage.   ;)

Most we know who "visit" trackables, visit one cache in whatever group of caches they've found that day.  Done. 

Have fun.

Thanks for the quick response and great answers, but I think I didn't use very clear wording on the bolded part. What I mean is I find it a bit weird that on the map, a trackable moving from one cache to another with several days in between draws a straight line instead of going to wherever the current holder spends those days, if that makes sense. But then again, that's probably me being very literal and wanting to see the path it takes instead of focusing on the miles it racks up

7 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

That's really nice of you to help the TB. I think the TBO needs some patience and gratitude for people moving it. 

I messaged him before I went to grab it, it's been sitting there since January and he was really grateful that I was helping it move. I think he'll enjoy seeing that it logged an extra 30 miles north and 30 miles south :)

33 minutes ago, pixelteer425 said:

Does this answer change if I get a personal trackable to show all of the geocaches I've been to?

I don't think it would make sense for it to visit one an hour north of me before jumping to one half an hour west without first stopping at my house, unless that's the direct path I took. 

Trackables aren't tracking devices.  They can't track you real-time.  You don't want one to either.   

A  trackable simply keeps "track" of caches you (and it) has found.  :)

A lot of questions might be answered by reading the Trackable section in the Help Center.  

Edited by cerberus1
  • Helpful 2
25 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Trackables aren't tracking devices.  They can't track you real-time.  You don't want one to either.   

A  trackable simply keeps "track" of caches you (and it) has found.  :)

A lot of questions might be answered by reading the Trackable section in the Help Center.  

Yeah, that's a better way to look at it. I was hyper focused on the map, and was worried it wouldn't make sense when it's all drawn out since its travels will look different to mine for a personal one

3 hours ago, pixelteer425 said:

Does this answer change if I get a personal trackable to show all of the geocaches I've been to?

I have a few TBs that I use to track different aspects of my adventures - one for Mystery caches, another for Earthcaches, one for Events, etc..  I just dip these in the appropriate caches, and you’re right, the lines on the map don’t tell the whole story.

However, I have one trackable that I use to track caches that I find in other countries. For this one I do dip it back in my ‘home’ cache after each trip: https://coord.info/TB7BH19

No right or wrong.  Your trackable, your choice.

• Helpful 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, pixelteer425 said:

Does this answer change if I get a personal trackable to show all of the geocaches I've been to? I don't think it would make sense for it to visit one an hour north of me before jumping to one half an hour west without first stopping at my house, unless that's the direct path I took. 

When I got my personal trackable I started doing it that way, visiting it to the cache closest to my home after every trip.  I quickly got tired of al that extra logging and now just visit it to each new cache I find.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
On 4/11/2020 at 9:45 PM, pixelteer425 said:

Should I have waited to log it at the next cache I go to without resetting it to my "home base". Does this answer change if I get a personal trackable to show all of the geocaches I've been to?

Either way works, and gives the TB mileage, and I think the owner will be happy to see it moving!  Whether it returns to your home base between is up to you if you want to do the logging.  But that is more like tracking YOUR movements, not the travels of the travel bug.  I carry several TB's with me, some mine, some belonging to others that I have picked up.  I don't visit them to every cache I find, but if I am in a new area, I will visit to one or two caches, and try to take photos, especially if the TO has asked for photos of the TB travels.

Look at the map on the TB page - it can get very cluttered very quickly with a lot of visits in the same area.  I'll try to avoid that by taking it to areas on the map that it has NOT been to.  

For your own personal travel bug, you can track your movements however you would like! Use different personal bugs for different things (like @IceColdUK does) - I recently won a very nice FTF geocoin that I may use to go back and visit all my FTFs, and continue to visit to future FTFs. (I don't have a lot, and I'm not an FTF nut, but they are fun to get when the timing is right).  Or just have one that visits every cache you find.  How you use them and visit them and trcack them is up to you.  And most TB owners are happy to see mileage, however it is tracked!

Can someone please tell me how to log "visits" by my personal trackables on the new log page?  I  found caches today and logged as drafts on my phone. I was excited to see I could take those drafts and make them logs with new system but only saw way to upload photos - no visiting trackables option. ?????

23 minutes ago, Momma Nonna said:

Can someone please tell me how to log "visits" by my personal trackables on the new log page? 

image.png.01c8151aabb4b317658da76e0134cabd.png

Click the down arrow to see a list of the TB's in your inventory; there will be options to Drop, Visit, or take no action.  Once the Visit log is created (by posting your cache log), you can edit the VIsit log on the TB page to add to the story, or add photos if you want for the TB's history.

• Helpful 1