Hiding suggestions?

Paulienzo

Hello fellow geocachers!

My girlfriend and I started geocaching together last summer; and we knew right away that we wanted to hide a cache ourselves one day.
Now almost a year (and 100+ finds) later, we decided to start planning this small project.

First of all, we needed a location, as we liked the fact that geocaching brought us to some unique spots we would otherwise have never noticed.
We discovered that our city is building a big new public park right near our house, and went scouting on this location earlier.
Inside this park, there are a few "ponds", one of which has an obstacle course crossing right through it.

Immediately we started thinking about the possibilities of placing a cache on this course, but we're struggling a bit to come up with something that is 100% perfect for this.

Things we thought about so far:

1) Making a waterproof cache

+ The water is cloudy, so the cache would be invisible.
  I'm afraid the water level might affect the cache, and it would be visible when there is a streak of dry weather

2) Hiding the cache on top of the wooden stakes
+)
The cache would not have to be waterproof, and can't be spotted if you don't know if it's up there.
– I can't figure how I could make a container that can be placed up there (and would stay there), without damaging the stake.

In short, we are looking for a solution in which we:
- Require the geocachers to complete a part of the obstacle source to get to the cache.
- Can hide the cache unobtrusively, without damaging the course objects

If anyone has any ideas / tips / feedback, feel free to share!

I added 2 pictures of the obstacle course attached to this post, for reference.

IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

Edited by Paulienzo
Formatting
  • Love 2

Depends upon how much work you (and a finder) would be willing to do to place/find it.  On top of one of the taller posts could be quite entertaining for the T rating!  Won't be seen by anyone except the finder, though both finding and maintenance would be a real challenge -- with regard to both access and stealth.

I'll leave the specifics of the container and mounting up for grabs, but several approaches come to mind.

• Helpful 1
21 minutes ago, Paulienzo said:

Hello fellow geocachers!

My girlfriend and I started geocaching together last summer; and we knew right away that we wanted to hide a cache ourselves one day.
Now almost a year (and 100+ finds) later, we decided to start planning this small project.

First of all, we needed a location, as we liked the fact that geocaching brought us to some unique spots we would otherwise have never noticed.
We discovered that our city is building a big new public park right near our house, and went scouting on this location earlier.
Inside this park, there are a few "ponds", one of which has an obstacle course crossing right through it.

Immediately we started thinking about the possibilities of placing a cache on this course, but we're struggling a bit to come up with something that is 100% perfect for this.

I'm afraid the water level might affect the cache, and it would be visible when there is a streak of dry weather

+)
The cache would not have to be waterproof, and can't be spotted if you don't know if it's up there.
– I can't figure how I could make a container that can be placed up there (and would stay there), without damaging the stake.

- Require the geocachers to complete a part of the obstacle source to get to the cache.

IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

Wow, that looks awesome. Maybe a hanging container? Ill be curious to know what you figure out.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Paulienzo said:

Have you already received permission from the property's owner ?

Before you make plans on how you're going to attach a container to property not yours, it'd be a good idea to see it's okay to do it first.  :)

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Paulienzo said:

IMG_2122.jpg

I see something that looks like horizontal holes in some of the tall posts, located just overhead for the woman running the course in the photo. They remind me of some of the camouflaged caches that I've found, where an existing hole had the cache inserted into it. In some cases, a plug at one or both ends camouflaged the cache and made it look like a knothole or something else inconspicuous.

• Helpful 1

Be prepared for maintenance. I'm thinking along the the lines of how finders are going to sign the logs without dropping cache and/or log into the water. It would be tricky to do it stealthily. Alternative would be for finders to take the cache with them to a safe spot to sign then return and replace. This could be included in the description (if anyone takes the time read it).

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
29 minutes ago, colleda said:

Be prepared for maintenance. I'm thinking along the the lines of how finders are going to sign the logs without dropping cache and/or log into the water. It would be tricky to do it stealthily. Alternative would be for finders to take the cache with them to a safe spot to sign then return and replace. This could be included in the description (if anyone takes the time read it).

That's a good point. Consider too how bystanders will perceive geocachers who are searching for the cache, and who find the cache, sign the log, and replace the cache.

• Helpful 2

If you receive permission you might consider making the cache a Multi or Mystery by attaching two metal tags (engraved brass plate or pet ID tag) to two separate posts.  One tag inscribed with the last 3 to 5 digits of latitude (Stage 1) and the other for longitude (Stage 2), or both numbers on only one tag.  The final can be placed elsewhere within 2 miles of these tags.  Initially you may pay more for the tags but maintenance will not be an issue plus the tags will only be recognizable to Geocachers and less likely muggled.  The owner of the obstacle course may enjoy the fact that the course will become a physical plus a mental challenge.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1

The tags idea above is great but you'll need to secure them to the posts.  A nail or screw would be the most secure but you'd need the property owner's permission in order to get GS' permission to publish the cache.  You could avoid the nail or screw and use velcro or some wire/rope/fishing line/fishing leader but if it's placed in a manner that's in a sight line, it will most likely get disturbed by curious muggles.  You could use the tag idea but use a diving slate, weighted down, that would suffice as the log.  You'd need to wipe it clean or replace it when it gets full and there's no guarantee that cachers will have the appropriate writing utensil that will leave a mark on the log. Also, it would be inaccessible during times when the water is frozen.  I've used an old wide necked water bottle, filled it with small rocks and sand and then added a micro container at the top.  I used metal fishing leader wires, linked them together until they were long enough to allow the container to sit on the bottom and then found a way to attach it to the item that was above water (in this case an old nail sticking out of the only wooden post left that used to be part of an advertisement sign in the water).  You could wrap the wire leader around one of the base logs so that the container lies directly underneath the log they're walking on.  The problem with this is threefold.  One, frozen water renders it inaccessible.  Two, anyone else doing the course would be required to wait until such time as the finder was finished signing the log, which could take a few minutes.  Three, a log over water will tend to get wet.  You can mitigate this by using a vinyl log instead of a paper one.

• Helpful 2
18 hours ago, Paulienzo said:

+)

Go there and follow the obstacle course.  Is there any existing writing on any poles?  Numbers or text or anything?  If so, cachers can use the obstacle course, make a note of some numbers or whatever, then use what they found in some specified formula, to hunt the actual container in another place.  The owners of the course may have some ideas for you.

The nature of a water obstacle course makes a cache on the course tricky to do.  People need to hold the posts, so placing an object on the posts is problematic.  It's an open area, so anyone may see someone stop to "get the cache", and then they have to wait while cachers occupy the obstacle course.  Water makes for more maintenance issues.  Plus, entire sections of the obstacle course itself must be replaced at times.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

First things first, for the people with concerns regarding permission:
We wanted to first plan out our idea and then contact the city (owner of the park) so we could be concrete when asking for permission.
We wouldn't want to ask for permission and have to be vague about it, as we feel that might get us turned down. But we know who to contact, and we surely will once we have a clear idea of what we want to do for this hide.

All in all, the suggestions regarding the water, maintenance and hindrance of other people on the course have been really insightful.
Currently, I'm leaning towards doing something along the lines of what Capt. Bob is proposing here, for a Mystery cache:

3 hours ago, Capt. Bob said:

If you receive permission you might consider making the cache a Multi or Mystery by attaching two metal tags (engraved brass plate or pet ID tag) to two separate posts.  One tag inscribed with the last 3 to 5 digits of latitude (Stage 1) and the other for longitude (Stage 2), or both numbers on only one tag.  The final can be placed elsewhere within 2 miles of these tags.  Initially you may pay more for the tags but maintenance will not be an issue plus the tags will only be recognizable to Geocachers and less likely muggled.  The owner of the obstacle course may enjoy the fact that the course will become a physical plus a mental challenge.

That way the cache would require you to do the course, but not in a way where you would impede other people. It also solves potential muggling and the cache possibly getting wet.

As for this concern:

16 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

Check also if there are currently a ban on publication in Belgium because of the virus.

No worries! As long as our country is on lockdown, placing a geocache is not something we are going to do.
It does give us the time to think & plan it through, and ask for permission with the property owner though.

Thanks for the input everyone, feel free to keep the suggestions/ideas coming! :) 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Capt. Bob said:

Yes, that would probably work better than an actual container on the posts. It wouldnt take as much maintenance either.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, TmdAndGG said:

It supposed to be a obstacle course, so I'm sure it's well maintained... 

The issue I have with some of my caches is, a place is well maintained, so things get removed and the cache along with them.  Permission doesn't mean cache protection.  It's not a deal-breaker, but it is a consideration.

Edited by kunarion
4 hours ago, TmdAndGG said:

It supposed to be a obstacle course, so I'm sure it's well maintained... 

Around here, things like that, especially wooden structures, are never maintained. When they eventually rot enough to be deemed unsafe, the orange tape and barricades come out and then eventually in some future budget, the bulldozers arrive and the thing is removed. Maybe, sometimes, a new thing is built to replace it and the cycle repeats, but more often not.

Edited by barefootjeff

It looks like there are metal rings that allow the wire lead to run across multiple poles for assistance.  You could attach something in one of the hoops at either end.  The aluminum dog tags have a hole in them (at least the ones I bought) and a wire fishing leader fits right through there easily and is durable.  I guess it's a regional decision but around here, if you put a physical stage at one point and then another physical stage at another, it would be considered a multi.  If you have numbers on the pole (already there in some manner) then it could be listed either way, although your reviewer would most likely recommend one over the other.

On 4/9/2020 at 9:31 PM, colleda said:

The first thing I thought was,  it should probably use a container that floats.  

• Helpful 1

Make it a multi,get 2 small identical pad locks, on each engrave the  final coordinates, N on one and East on the other  pad lock them onto the guide line holders, just for fun add a couple more identical pad locks with nothing on them (Pending permission obviously)   Done, hide the final off site

I have seen a round metal tag that looked like a maintenance tag inserted over a pre existing hole with a nano container attached to the back and inserted into the hole friction fit. The trick will be to tether the container with fishing line so it doesn't drop into the water when the finder is holding onto the post with one hand, holding the cache with their second hand and signing the log with their third and fourth hand :)

You could also fashion a sheet metal cap on the to of one of the posts similar to what you see on pier posts in salt water environments.

Sounds like n interesting problem. Before you spend too much time working the details, you might want to approach the land owner and verify they agree in principal with hiding a cache on their obstacle course.

Edited by ras_oscar
thought of more stuff
On 4/9/2020 at 3:56 PM, Paulienzo said:

Hello fellow geocachers!

+)

IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

An amazing idea for a cache hide! Please keep us updated! 

• Funny 1