Virtual Meetings Events

As we are on lock down and since we cannot meet up anywhere.  I feel like they maybe should allow the time being let us have events like in Zoom app.  Of course, there has to be guidelines.  Like for example, not putting virtual meets in diiferent states just to get a cache in that state.  The virtual event MUST be in your local area or surrounding areas.  I've notice people are already doing this just to chat weekly to other cachers.  Afterall, we all became friends here and would like to catch up.  And others may not have family that they live with.  Just a thought, can we somehow get this approved for the time being?

• Funny 1
6 minutes ago, makgonz said:

As we are on lock down and since we cannot meet up anywhere.  I feel like they maybe should allow the time being let us have events like in Zoom app.  Of course, there has to be guidelines.  Like for example, not putting virtual meets in diiferent states just to get a cache in that state.  The virtual event MUST be in your local area or surrounding areas.  I've notice people are already doing this just to chat weekly to other cachers.  Afterall, we all became friends here and would like to catch up.  And others may not have family that they live with.  Just a thought, can we somehow get this approved for the time being?

The question has been asked and answered in this thread:

• Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, makgonz said:

I've notice people are already doing this just to chat weekly to other cachers.  Afterall, we all became friends here and would like to catch up.  And others may not have family that they live with.  Just a thought, can we somehow get this approved for the time being?

Sounds like something that would easy enough to set up on your own. 

Maybe there can be a forum topic for upcoming virtual meetings and what platform they will be on (Facebook messenger, Facetime, Google Hangouts, Zoom, Webex, etc.).

No event find points though. You would be meeting up to enjoy a virtual meet-up. It would be interesting to see if people would meet-up online if they don't get to up their event find/attend count. 

Edited by L0ne.R
  • Upvote 2

All of our local cache sites went to faceboook.   They still chat there.   :)

Geocaching.com did make a statement on "virtual events" , saying they weren't gonna happen at this time.

I'd be a bit hesitant, after hearing of the numerous security issues with zoom too.

• Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I'd be a bit hesitant, after hearing of the numerous security issues with zoom too.

A lot depends on what you're discussing. For an online unevent that is essentially public (like a geocaching discussion where the Zoom URL is posted to a Facebook group), I wouldn't worry much about most security issues with Zoom. For a private discussion among family members, or a confidential work discussion, Zoom's security issues are more of a problem.

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, K13 said:

Why does one need a +1 on their smiley count to visit online with other geocachers??  Geocaching is about going to locations, not imaginary trips on the laptop.

At an event people gather and chat.  And most likely eat.  Its basically the same thing, a bunch of cachers talking but the only difference is this is online.

26 minutes ago, makgonz said:

At an event people gather and chat.  And most likely eat.  Its basically the same thing, a bunch of cachers talking but the only difference is this is online.

Then do the virtual chat without the +1 on your stats, if the chatting is important to you.  Geocaching involves actually visiting locations, not virtually visiting them.

• Helpful 1
On 4/8/2020 at 8:06 PM, L0ne.R said:

Sounds like something that would easy enough to set up on your own.

Maybe there can be a forum topic for upcoming virtual meetings and what platform they will be on (Facebook messenger, Facetime, Google Hangouts, Zoom, Webex, etc.).

I think the merit of the OP’s suggestion is that we already have a great mechanism for organising events, a calendar for publicising them, notifications for people that are interested in them, and so on.

I can’t see it happening, but a temporary change to block attendance logs for the time being might be interesting...

On 4/8/2020 at 8:06 PM, L0ne.R said:

No event find points though. You would be meeting up to enjoy a virtual meet-up. It would be interesting to see if people would meet-up online if they don't get to up their event find/attend count. 

... then we might see what motivates us!

22 minutes ago, K13 said:

Then do the virtual chat without the +1 on your stats, if the chatting is important to you.  Geocaching involves actually visiting locations, not virtually visiting them.

Presumably the main benefit will be in many countries events will resume on a staged basis, e.g. high risk groups may not initially be able to (or choose to) attend).

Allowing online attendance of a "real world" event means cachers who may have attended events for years do not feel left out.

It has arguable benefit in the interim. Long term it may persuade a small percentage who should stay home to stay home. But small percentages matter at the moment.