After Coronapocalypse

Waymarkers and Geocachers: What are THREE things you really look forward to doing when the Coronapocalypse is over?

I really look forward to traveling for the geotour I was supposed to do during spring break. I haven't been to a grocery store in about 7 weeks, so that would be fun.

And last, but not least, being able to rent things from the library. Our library was under renovation, planning to open in a couple of weeks when the virus struck. During the renovation we were able to pick up reserves at a small remote location close to my home. I loved it! But then the virus hit and they closed everything. I've always wanted to check out GoT, and found out during the renovation that the library had the DVDs. I was able to borrow seasons 1-4 before the library closed. If only I had known, I would have reserved them all. Apparently no one else wanted them, because I was #1 on the queue, so I wouldn't feel bad about having all 8 seasons at home while the library is shut down. I was able to get some waymarks out of two of the movies I rented, which was fun!

My life really hasn't changed much.  I work for an "essential" business so I still go to work every day.  

If I did have ONE thing that I'd like to be able to do:

Go on a date.  I've been single for almost a year and it's not really easy when you can't go into the restaurant to eat.  

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, jhuoni said:

My life really hasn't changed much.  I work for an "essential" business so I still go to work every day.  

If I did have ONE thing that I'd like to be able to do:

Go on a date.  I've been single for almost a year and it's not really easy when you can't go into the restaurant to eat.  

I can imagine!

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

What are THREE things you really look forward to doing when the Coronapocalypse is over?

1 - Sit in a  chick-fil-a  for a sandwich, and be able to eat the thing before that roll turns into mush.

2 - Taking this darn mask off...  

- When you had a career in law enforcement, it just feels wrong standing at a counter, or in front of an ATM, looking like you're the robber.

3 -  Being able to choose what TP I'd like, and not having to defend myself going to the truck with it.

• Upvote 2

Going to a park to sit on a bench or throw a frisbee or fly a kite without threat of an $800 fine.

Going to the doctor for worrisome joint pains which I have to ignore, for now.

Going to visit our elderly friend who must be feeling so very lonely.

3 minutes ago, elyob said:

Going to a park to sit on a bench or throw a frisbee or fly a kite without threat of an $800 fine.

Going to the doctor for worrisome joint pains which I have to ignore, for now.

Going to visit our elderly friend who must be feeling so very lonely.

Those are good ones!

1. Being able to travel overseas again! (That's a biggie!!!)

2. Riding our public transport system again without fear of contracting the virus so I can check out new geocache placement options.

3. Going to a particular museum in the city that was closed a year ago, for a year, while it was completely renovated. The new museum apparently has state-of-the-art interactive exhibits that look like they are amazing. It opened for a short time then closed down due to the virus.

Travel. I was meant to be at a Bookcrossing conference right now on the Gold Coast. Then I was going to drive north to Cairns and then west to Normanton near the Gulf of Carpentaria, before heading south and back to Canberra. All that geocaching I am missing. Fortunately I had not booked any other accommodation than that for the conference. Those coming from overseas had much more than me to cancel. Next years conference is in Finland and I would like to attend, but won't unless there's a vaccine.

I did get a couple of cruises in before the crisis. A Christmas cruise out to New Caledonia, Vanuatu and NZ, and a late February cruise to PNG and Australian ports. We were very lucky with the last cruise, arriving back early March with no recorded virus cases.

Also being able to go to a cafe and sit and have a cup of coffee. Sitting on a table on the footpath, watching the passing people. Visiting a cafe after geocaching was a favoured thing to do for our small group.

4 hours ago, Calypso62 said:

I had planned to be in New York in August with the main goal to complete GC17MX1 - Bridges & Arches of Central Park.

I was so looking forward to completing this cache. Unfortunately, that plan is on indefinite hold!!! It's a long way from Australia to New York and who knows when overseas travel restrictions will  be lifted! ?‍♂️

That is a big trip! Keep us posted if you eventually get to go. 

3 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Travel. I was meant to be at a Bookcrossing conference right now on the Gold Coast. Then I was going to drive north to Cairns and then west to Normanton near the Gulf of Carpentaria, before heading south and back to Canberra. All that geocaching I am missing. Fortunately I had not booked any other accommodation than that for the conference. Those coming from overseas had much more than me to cancel. Next years conference is in Finland and I would like to attend, but won't unless there's a vaccine.

I did get a couple of cruises in before the crisis. A Christmas cruise out to New Caledonia, Vanuatu and NZ, and a late February cruise to PNG and Australian ports. We were very lucky with the last cruise, arriving back early March with no recorded virus cases.

Also being able to go to a cafe and sit and have a cup of coffee. Sitting on a table on the footpath, watching the passing people. Visiting a cafe after geocaching was a favoured thing to do for our small group.

You remind me of the many boxes of books I was going to register on bookcrossing for drops on vacation, that probably won't happen. Indeed you did get lucky with no illness on that cruise. I hope that soon you can sit at a cafe and have a cup of coffee! And watch passersby. ?

59 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

You remind me of the many boxes of books I was going to register on bookcrossing for drops on vacation, that probably won't happen. Indeed you did get lucky with no illness on that cruise. I hope that soon you can sit at a cafe and have a cup of coffee! And watch passersby. ?

I like to do the BC challenge; 52 towns in 52 weeks challenge, and I too was planning to release lots of books; well up to 52 :D, during my travels. I have managed to release 20 books for that challenge, including some in PNG (I handed children's books to some local children), but as things are, I can't see me getting many more releases in different towns this year. I'm stuck on a landlocked 'island' :(. There are a couple of villages as well as the city on this 'island', but I doubt anyone would be keen to pick up a book even if I released one. Maybe there would be a LFL in those villages I could release to, but that's only two more places. The surrounding state has lock down. Oh well, at least we are relatively free to live an island life. It isn't lock-down here; only a strong suggestion. However, many places are closed. I took a cycle ride today to get exercise and find a cache. Also to check one of my caches, but found it surrounded with a family of children playing. Another time.

As for the cruise (yes we were lucky; we know that), the shipping line was very careful who was allowed on. People who had come from some places overseas were banned from boarding, and another passenger told me they saw people turned away with their luggage. So it would have been mostly only Australians aboard. All the passengers and crew's temperatures were taken too. Many cruise ships had to be ordered to leave Australian waters, as it appeared they didn't want to go; like 'lost' limpets hanging around the coast. I don't blame them, as Australia has been (so far) more fortunate in this crisis than many other places.

Edited by Goldenwattle

Travel - I have been working from home for five weeks.  At least I have been working.  I want to get out and really experience someplace that isn't a grocery store.  I want to drive my truck somewhere further than to go pickup takeout.

Sports - Oh my goodness how I miss any kind of a live sporting event on TV!  I'd even take test cricket from India - I don't understand the sport being an American, but I'd learn!!!

Sitting down to warm chips and salsa, maybe some queso, a big, fat pork burrito covered in green chile, and maybe some flan for dessert at my favorite Mexican Restaurant and remembering that a.) I didn't have to shop for the ingredients; b.) I didn't have to prepare said ingredients; and most importantly c.) don't have to clean up and do the FREAKING dishes afterwards!!!!!   I love getting the meals prepared for my lovely family, but dang, after this long, I'm tired of being chef!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, iconions said:

Travel - I have been working from home for five weeks.  At least I have been working.  I want to get out and really experience someplace that isn't a grocery store.  I want to drive my truck somewhere further than to go pickup takeout.

Sports - Oh my goodness how I miss any kind of a live sporting event on TV!  I'd even take test cricket from India - I don't understand the sport being an American, but I'd learn!!!

Sitting down to warm chips and salsa, maybe some queso, a big, fat pork burrito covered in green chile, and maybe some flan for dessert at my favorite Mexican Restaurant and remembering that a.) I didn't have to shop for the ingredients; b.) I didn't have to prepare said ingredients; and most importantly c.) don't have to clean up and do the FREAKING dishes afterwards!!!!!   I love getting the meals prepared for my lovely family, but dang, after this long, I'm tired of being chef!!!!

I can relate to all of that!

• Upvote 1
Just now, Max and 99 said:

I can relate to all of that!

Thanks - I know I can actually make Mexican food, but dang, I still hafta clean the mess afterwards and my "Mexican" food just isn't as good.  I'm REALLY wanting to make a road trip to Santa Fe and just gorge myself on green chile burritos for a week, and maybe mix in a green chile cheeseburger for a change of pace.  :)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, iconions said:

Thanks - I know I can actually make Mexican food, but dang, I still hafta clean the mess afterwards and my "Mexican" food just isn't as good.  I'm REALLY wanting to make a road trip to Santa Fe and just gorge myself on green chile burritos for a week, and maybe mix in a green chile cheeseburger for a change of pace.  :)

while there, I suggest you go to the Loretto Chapel for some Waymarking

1 hour ago, vulture1957 said:

while there, I suggest you go to the Loretto Chapel for some Waymarking

Actually been there a couple of times - great suggestion.  The Cathedral there is also pretty spectacular.  I've actually got some waymarks on the square and lots of visits.  
I love my Tex-Mex, but there is something about the Mexican food in and around Santa Fe and Albuquerque - es muy bueno!!!!  
I'm hoping to go back to Galena, Illinois the first part of June.  Not too sure about that trip.  Late October we're hoping to go back to Gulf Shores, Alabama.  

14 minutes ago, iconions said:

Actually been there a couple of times - great suggestion.  The Cathedral there is also pretty spectacular.  I've actually got some waymarks on the square and lots of visits.  
I love my Tex-Mex, but there is something about the Mexican food in and around Santa Fe and Albuquerque - es muy bueno!!!!  
I'm hoping to go back to Galena, Illinois the first part of June.  Not too sure about that trip.  Late October we're hoping to go back to Gulf Shores, Alabama.  

Veteran's Cemetery (my 1st wife is there). The stairway at Loretto would be a great waymark. Sandia Peak for local attraction. Uncle Cliff's for amusement parks, there were a couple mini-golf up by Cliff's. I could think of more, spent 3 years at Kirtland AFB.

5 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

Veteran's Cemetery (my 1st wife is there). The stairway at Loretto would be a great waymark. Sandia Peak for local attraction. Uncle Cliff's for amusement parks, there were a couple mini-golf up by Cliff's. I could think of more, spent 3 years at Kirtland AFB.

That stairway and chapel has been waymarked a few times - I've registered a few waymark visits.  I absolutely love the National Veterans Cemetery there in Santa Fe - I have several waymarks in there including a headstone of a frontier soldier he carved out of sandstone himself.  I actually visited because of Charles Bent - Territorial Governor during the SFT days.  I live just about a mile and some change from one of the first stops along the trail after the Civil War here in Olathe, Kansas.  Yep, you bring back some great memories of my couple of trips into Santa Fe and Albuquerque!!!

1 - I want to go to Peter's in Calgary.

The original Peter's Drive In opened in 1962, shortly before I became a teenager. When I, and my buddies, came of age to be hot rodding our ways around southern Alberta, most weekends our major trajectory came to be Calgary, 30 miles south. Back in the mid '60s Peter's was already established, just coming to be challenged for the teenager's dollar by A&W et al. A&W burgers were, on occasion, an acceptable alternative, given the occasional opportunity to steal a Root Beer Mug. I don't recall many other burger joints of note in Calgary at that time.

But there was always PETER'S. It became the "Mel's" of Calgary. Not only did Peter's become an integral part of my teenage years, it was also embraced by the more conservative (read older) members of 1960s Calgary society, as well as cross country travelers who happened to pass through Calgary. Back then, as now, Peter's was/is located on 16th Avenue NE, which, at that time, also happened to be the Trans-Canada Highway. Today the highway skirts most of the city to the north, but as a result of its location way back when, Peter's got a lot of well deserved exposure country wide. As a result it was, at least once, voted (by whom I no longer remember) Canada's Best Burger.

Even today, I find it essentially impossible to visit Calgary without making Peter's one of my first stops. I'll not even attempt to describe what it is about a Peter's burger that sets it so far above the norm. It's mostly the sauce, partly the way they're done - You'll just have to make your way to 219 - 16th Avenue NE in Calgary and find out for yourself. And when you arrive, unless there are 5 or more in the car, don't order more than 1 Large Fries. You'll get it when you fail to heed my advice. :huh::):o

Another reason for my wanting stop off at Peter's is that I had told friends in Alberta, who live just north of Calgary, that I wanted to go out and visit them in the Spring. Now, it looks like that ain't happenin'.

The above was my most cherished hope earlier this year. I still cling to one, but that will remain my story for now.

Numbers 2 & 3 are, for the moment, TBD.

Keith

8 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

The original Peter's Drive In opened in 1962, shortly before I became a teenager. When I, and my buddies, came of age to be hot rodding our ways around southern Alberta, most weekends our major trajectory came to be Calgary, 30 miles south. Back in the mid '60s Peter's was already established, just coming to be challenged for the teenager's dollar by A&W et al. A&W burgers were, on occasion, an acceptable alternative, given the occasional opportunity to steal a Root Beer Mug. I don't recall many other burger joints of note in Calgary at that time.

But there was always PETER'S. It became the "Mel's" of Calgary. Not only did Peter's become an integral part of my teenage years, it was also embraced by the more conservative (read older) members of 1960s Calgary society, as well as cross country travelers who happened to pass through Calgary. Back then, as now, Peter's was/is located on 16th Avenue NE, which, at that time, also happened to be the Trans-Canada Highway. Today the highway skirts most of the city to the north, but as a result of its location way back when, Peter's got a lot of well deserved exposure country wide. As a result it was, at least once, voted (by whom I no longer remember) Canada's Best Burger.

Even today, I find it essentially impossible to visit Calgary without making Peter's one of my first stops. I'll not even attempt to describe what it is about a Peter's burger that sets it so far above the norm. It's mostly the sauce, partly the way they're done - You'll just have to make your way to 219 - 16th Avenue NE in Calgary and find out for yourself. And when you arrive, unless there are 5 or more in the car, don't order more than 1 Large Fries. You'll get it when you fail to heed my advice. :huh::):o

Another reason for my wanting stop off at Peter's is that I had told friends in Alberta, who live just north of Calgary, that I wanted to go out and visit them in the Spring. Now, it looks like that ain't happenin'.

The above was my most cherished hope earlier this year. I still cling to one, but that will remain my story for now.

Keith

Yea, I have that same, almost heart stopping reaction, thinking of a carne adovoba burrito, Christmas Style, a non-Alcoholic cerveza (dang migraines), sitting on the patio and looking out over the mountains and valleys of Santa Fe.  

I'd like to try that burger - you think they'd deliver to ole KC????? 

A little late to the party, but I thought I'd play along too :D

1. Going back to school in the fall. Hopefully this will all be over by then so I can get back to school. My semester has been cut in half as with most other college students. I'm graduating in December so looking forward to finally getting a B.S. in geology, with a minor in planetary science, after all my hard work. I miss late night cramming with my friends and making memories.

2. Being able to leave my house. California has not issued a mandatory stay at home order, so we can technically leave whenever we want to but the reality of the situation is that most people, myself included, haven't left our homes in weeks. When I do leave, its odd to see all the roads being empty. The freeways are trafficless which is great. 

3. Going out to eat. I haven't eaten out in a restaurant in weeks. I miss being able to sit down and relax for an hour or so at a restaurant.

2 hours ago, iconions said:

I'd like to try that burger - you think they'd deliver to ole KC????? 

Well, we could always give it a shot. Order a couple of triple cheeseburgers. Have them airmailed via time machine so they would arrive just nanoseconds after being sent. Don't forget to order the family fries. They'll keep you munchin' the rest of the day.

17 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

Keith

Come to Oklahoma City and try Ron's Hamburgers and Chili. The Sausage Cheeseburger: Half beef and half country sausage smashed together with onions fried into the meat creating an amazingly tasty treat; topped with Pepper Jack and American cheese with a bun dressed with mustard, pickle, lettuce and tomato.  The Buster adds topped with bacon bits and Cure 81 ham.

How's this for hijacking a thread??

Edited by vulture1957
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, vulture1957 said:

Come to Oklahoma City and try Ron's Hamburgers and Chili. The Sausage Cheeseburger: Half beef and half country sausage smashed together with onions fried into the meat creating an amazingly tasty treat; topped with Pepper Jack and American cheese with a bun dressed with mustard, pickle, lettuce and tomato.  The Buster adds topped with bacon bits and Cure 81 ham.

How's this for hijacking a thread??

I knew about the Oklahoma Onionburger, but dayum, that sausage cheeseburger sounds AMAZING.  
...and here I thought the KuKu Burger in Miami, Oklahoma was pretty good!

Edited by iconions
Additional info