improvidently bumped threads

18 minutes ago, niraD said:

I don't see anything in the Terms of Use that relates to bumping threads (providently or improvidently).

The Forum Guidelines might be slightly more relevant, but didn't see anything regarding bumping old threads specifically, although it depends on how you interpret #17 and what you think an "abuse" of the Forum means:

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/guidelines/

• Helpful 1

The fascinating thing is, if you start a new thread about an old topic you get bashed for starting a new thread. Then, you find and old topic and bump it you get bashed for that too. The history here is documented and speaks for itself. Even so, there's a high likelihood I'll be bashed for even mentioning the catch 22.

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, bflentje said:

The fascinating thing is, if you start a new thread about an old topic you get bashed for starting a new thread. Then, you find and old topic and bump it you get bashed for that too. The history here is documented and speaks for itself. Even so, there's a high likelihood I'll be bashed for even mentioning the catch 22.

Never been anything more true in these forums, haha.  Many keyboard cowboys who would slink away if confronted at en event.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I'm curious about the Giraffe as well and wondered if it was at the national park just outside Nairobi, Kenya.

no its actually from a zoo! wait i am going to switch it to one i took in africa u have to guess where, u up to the challenge?

9 minutes ago, spookypants said:

its a masai giraffe i have no idea where. Lake Manyara?

No, it was near the entrance to Mikumi National Park (I found a cache at the entrance there).  I was working for a few days in Morogoro, about a 2 hour drive away and that was the closest cache.  I've been to Africa 8 times and have found caches in South Africa, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Kenya, and Zimbabwe.

14 hours ago, bflentje said:

Bumping a thread isn't inherently bad, it just that the specific bumps are often a waste of time. The problem with bumped threads is that the bumpers don't read the thread, they just respond to one post. That always has one of two results: either they a repeat of a point that was already brought up and discussed to death, or the bump is reacting to something that's simply out of date, so there's no point in discussing it anymore. Often both.

I don't think anyone would complain about a thread getting bumped with pertinent new information. Just as with current threads, one should read the thread and react to the conversation, not find a specific post and answer it in isolation.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
14 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

No, it was near the entrance to Mikumi National Park (I found a cache at the entrance there).  I was working for a few days in Morogoro, about a 2 hour drive away and that was the closest cache.  I've been to Africa 8 times and have found caches in South Africa, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Kenya, and Zimbabwe.

oh wow, im bad at guessing. i have only been there once, my once in a lifetime experience.

I didn't realize there was ANY controversy about bumping a thread. I recently bumped a thread so that I would have easier access to it and someone gave it the "surprised" icon.

I thought it was obvious why I did it. I didn't think it would cause any issues but then, there are always people just looking for something to be offended by.

BTW that's an incredible photo! Thanks for sharing. I'll probably bump it in a year or so just cuz it's so cool! 

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
1 hour ago, hukilaulau said:

I didn't realize there was ANY controversy about bumping a thread. I recently bumped a thread so that I would have easier access to it and someone gave it the "surprised" icon.

So instead of adding to the conversation in the thread, you posted a reply that was unrelated to the thread itself, just to bump the thread to the top of the forum contents? Is that correct?

If so, that sounds rather improvident to me.

• Upvote 1

Being a bear of very little brain, I had to look up the definition of "improvident"  so I could understand what you meant.

This is from Merriam-Webster:  "not foreseeing and providing for the future"

which is confusing because that is exactly what I was doing. Then I thought, this must be the first time anyone has EVER made a post that was not a direct comment on the original post, cuz, you know, it's like such a serious and sacred part of our society. 

Well, it's been over 12 years since I was cautioned or warned about anything by GS, so I guess I'll wait until I hear from them before I consider changing my errant ways.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, hukilaulau said:

I didn't think it would cause any issues but then, there are always people just looking for something to be offended by.

I'm not offended. I'm just annoyed that you wasted my time. I might excuse it if there was a good reason, but it sounds like you were just being selfish.

"Improvident" is often used to imply someone doing something without foreseeing how it will impact other people. Bumping the thread took no effort or thought, gave you some trivial gain I still don't understand, but resulted in a thousand forum readers being told by the system there's new content in this thread that they should look at.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
10 hours ago, dprovan said:

I'm not offended. I'm just annoyed that you wasted my time. I might excuse it if there was a good reason, but it sounds like you were just being selfish.

"Improvident" is often used to imply someone doing something without foreseeing how it will impact other people. Bumping the thread took no effort or thought, gave you some trivial gain I still don't understand, but resulted in a thousand forum readers being told by the system there's new content in this thread that they should look at.

OK, sorry for all that wasted time. I had no intention of telling a thousand people what they should do. Guess I was improvident after all. mostly, my recent posts have been made out of boredom because my wife told me to stop going outside every day. But I guess I'll find some other way to amuse myself.

11 hours ago, ecanderson said:

Guess I'm not understanding why you don't just set up a bookmark :blink:

I am technologically challenged. You wouldn't believe how long it took me to learn to use a Palm Pilot for geocaching. Clyde was my god.

3 hours ago, hukilaulau said:

OK, sorry for all that wasted time. I had no intention of telling a thousand people what they should do. Guess I was improvident after all. mostly, my recent posts have been made out of boredom because my wife told me to stop going outside every day. But I guess I'll find some other way to amuse myself.

That's OK. Mistakes happen. I was just worried because you seemed to think the responses you were getting were unjustified outrage.