original coordinates

Arne1

What are the rules with the initial coordinates of the caches at present? I thought there was a rule to prevent the icons on the map from overlapping. But now I have found a series of 36 caches that have the same opening coordinates. Why did this change happen? These are geocaches in Poland, GC codes from GC7KYD0 .. GC7KYHP

6 minutes ago, Arne1 said:

What are the rules with the initial coordinates of the caches at present? I thought there was a rule to prevent the icons on the map from overlapping. But now I have found a series of 36 caches that have the same opening coordinates. Why did this change happen? These are geocaches in Poland, GC codes from GC7KYD0 .. GC7KYHP

I was told by a reviewer that I had to move my fake/posted coordinates for a puzzle because they were too close to another fake/posted mystery coordinate. So I'm surprised that there are multiples stacked on top of each other.

AFAIK, there has never been a rule (or official guideline) about the posted coordinates for mystery/puzzle caches. Many (including some volunteer reviewers) have recommended not having the posted coordinates of mystery/puzzle caches overlap other caches, but that is not the same thing.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, niraD said:

AFAIK, there has never been a rule (or official guideline) about the posted coordinates for mystery/puzzle caches. Many (including some volunteer reviewers) have recommended not having the posted coordinates of mystery/puzzle caches overlap other caches, but that is not the same thing.

For my last puzzle, during the review process it was suggested that I move my posted coords to avoid congestion.  It was sensible to do so, but I’m fairly sure I could have left them unchanged if I’d wanted.

• Helpful 1
40 minutes ago, Arne1 said:

These will be the 'published' coordinates for mystery (or perhaps multi) caches of one kind or another.  Provided there are no physical containers at the posted coordinates to get the hunt started, the location isn't considered an interference point for any in the series or any other cache, for that matter. 

There's two ways of looking at this:

a) There's no point in cluttering up the map with a bunch of icons whose locations have no actual meaning

b) It creates a cluster (ahem) on the map if you are attempting to view a particular cache on the map, even though the location has no meaning

So there's a plus and a minus to doing it this way, but it's not uncommon.  Some owners use the middle of a lake and use 528' spacing to create a solid grid of icons, which solves problem a without creating problem b.

47 minutes ago, niraD said:

This is what I was told about my posted coordinates for a mystery/puzzle:

You didn't ask about the posted coordinates, but that location is within the right-of-way of the interstate and would not be allowed. The right-of-way includes the section of any road passing over or under the interstate which is between the entrance and exit ramps.

• Surprised 1
8 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

You didn't ask about the posted coordinates, but that location is within the right-of-way of the interstate and would not be allowed. The right-of-way includes the section of any road passing over or under the interstate which is between the entrance and exit ramps.

Around here, there has been a tradition of using impossible locations like the middle of a freeway interchange as the posted coordinates for puzzle caches, to help reduce the number of times people go to the bogus coordinates and search for a cache there.

3 minutes ago, niraD said:

Around here, there has been a tradition of using impossible locations like the middle of a freeway interchange as the posted coordinates for puzzle caches, to help reduce the number of times people go to the bogus coordinates and search for a cache there.

That was my thinking, too. But not shared by the reviewer.

1 hour ago, Arne1 said:

I had forgotten about this, but many years ago the reviewer at the time insisted to me that even fake/posted coordinates for puzzle caches had to be a minimum 528 feet from other waypoints. I remember a local cacher asking me what they should do when they were told the same thing.

• Surprised 1