multi-caches

i have an idea, could i make a multi cache where there are like a couple sets of a few legos in each container, and cacher could collect the legos and at the end there would be a instruction booklet, and they could build it. to log it they would then take a picture of the build, then maybe return it somewhere (or keep the legos, either way) would this be possible with a multi-cache? and does it sound like a good idea?

12 minutes ago, spookypants said:

i have an idea, could i make a multi cache where there are like a couple sets of a few legos in each container, and cacher could collect the legos and at the end there would be a instruction booklet, and they could build it. to log it they would then take a picture of the build, then maybe return it somewhere (or keep the legos, either way) would this be possible with a multi-cache? and does it sound like a good idea?

Would you go out after each find and replenish the Legos in all stages?

• Upvote 3

As the hider.  I wouldn't expect finders to backtrack through the stages to replace the pieces, so it would be on you to keep up the supply.

And since you're new,  be sure you understand that collecting and building anything can't be made a requirement for logging the final.

• Helpful 1

Sounds fun, but probably a challenge because the lego pieces are always going to be missing so the next finder is unable to complete.

I think a 2 stage with all the pieces in the first stage, assemble it, and it gives coordinates to the final stage might work better.  That way the pieces can stay where they are supposed to be.

• Helpful 2
3 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

As the hider.  I wouldn't expect finders to backtrack through the stages to replace the pieces, so it would be on you to keep up the supply.

And since you're new,  be sure you understand that collecting and building anything can't be made a requirement for logging the final.

yeah i know, i would keep replenishing. it would be a hard thing to do, but maybe in a few years once i am experienced i could pull it off. and yes i know it would be optional i guess. just an idea, im a new cacher so i couldnt pull it off now. but maybe in a few years...

Edited by spookypants
1 minute ago, fuzziebear3 said:

Sounds fun, but probably a challenge because the lego pieces are always going to be missing so the next finder is unable to complete.

I think a 2 stage with all the pieces in the first stage, assemble it, and it gives coordinates to the final stage might work better.  That way the pieces can stay where they are supposed to be.

yeah that does sound more realistic

2 hours ago, spookypants said:

I have seen physical puzzles in multi-stage puzzle caches, where seekers have to bring the pieces of the puzzle together, and then return them to their original locations afterwards. This works for big, epic "destination caches" that are designed to take a couple hours to complete, and where there is a clear path in to the cache, and the finders will backtrack to return to the parking lot afterwards. Even then, there weren't a lot of pieces that needed to be returned.

For a LEGO puzzle, I think it would work better if the digits for the coordinates for the next stage were written on the blocks, and assembling them in the indicated structure would reveal the coordinates. Even then, it would be a good idea to have backup sets handy, so you can replace a missing LEGO puzzle quickly. A friend of mine who made great multi-stage puzzle caches always built multiple copies of any physical stage. When you've got everything set up to make one, it isn't that much harder to make a few.

But the LEGO blocks would stay in an intermediate stage, and would not need to be transported to the next stage(s) at all.

Edited by niraD
  • Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, niraD said:

I have seen physical puzzles in multi-stage puzzle caches, where seekers have to bring the pieces of the puzzle together, and then return them to their original locations afterwards. This works for big, epic "destination caches" that are designed to take a couple hours to complete, and where there is a clear path in to the cache, and the finders will backtrack to return to the parking lot afterwards. Even then, there weren't a lot of pieces that needed to be returned.

For a LEGO puzzle, I think it would work better if the digits for the coordinates for the next stage were written on the blocks, and assembling them in the indicated structure would reveal the coordinates. Even then, it would be a good idea to have backup sets handy, so you can replace a missing LEGO puzzle quickly. A friend of mine who made great multi-stage puzzle caches always built multiple copies of any physical stage. When you've got everything set up to make one, it isn't that much harder to make a few.

But the LEGO blocks would stay in an intermediate stage, and would not need to be transported to the next stage(s) at all.

oooh yeah thats a really good idea! thank you!

1 hour ago, NanCycle said:

I thought it was clear from your post that you were to be the hider, so I mean you, the hider.  

yeah, sorry i just thought maybe you meant that if i were the cacher would i replace it so i was confused. yes i would, i mean in the future. i am a pretty new cacher so its just an idea right now.

At the moment it is just a basic idea and it is obvious to me that it hasn't been thought through until the end. But that's not bad. That's how creative caches might start - with the idea. Just keep it in mind and take your time to think about the occuring problems. I am sure there are interesting ways to "play" with LEGO while geocaching and I am sure you resulting cache will be more creative than many other caches.

And if it does not work in the end you still might have gotton new ideas for new creative caches.

Have fun geocaching and thinking about how to make some adults play with LEGO - I like it already. :-)

Best wishes

Jochen

• Helpful 1
18 minutes ago, frostengel said:

At the moment it is just a basic idea and it is obvious to me that it hasn't been thought through until the end. But that's not bad. That's how creative caches might start - with the idea. Just keep it in mind and take your time to think about the occuring problems. I am sure there are interesting ways to "play" with LEGO while geocaching and I am sure you resulting cache will be more creative than many other caches.

And if it does not work in the end you still might have gotton new ideas for new creative caches.

Have fun geocaching and thinking about how to make some adults play with LEGO - I like it already. :-)

Best wishes

Jochen

thank you so much! and yes, its just a basic idea. thank you!

8 minutes ago, spookypants said:

thank you so much! and yes, its just a basic idea. thank you!

In the last minutes I started thinking about how I might do it - it is amost midnight in Germany so my creativity might not be the best. :-)

I've done some stitching caches where needle and strand were given in the final box and you had to stitch your name onto some peace of cloth.

You might give the LEGO bricks and some plate to build on and the cachers might build their name - that is the "logbook". But obviously that will need some space and you need place for a big "logbook" as of course the "signatures" and it shouldn't be "build it, take picture and dismantle it" but they are meant "forever".

I have the feeling that y nickname would take a room of abotu 10 times 30 centimetres. ;-)

But with a stage 1 with a LEGO model giving the coordinates (after you build it) and a LEGO final where you build your name to sign the "logbook" I would like it. At least I think so at 23:51 at the clock. ;-)

That's how I like cache planning: ideas follow after ideas..... most of them are crayz. :-P

4 minutes ago, frostengel said:

In the last minutes I started thinking about how I might do it - it is amost midnight in Germany so my creativity might not be the best. :-)

I've done some stitching caches where needle and strand were given in the final box and you had to stitch your name onto some peace of cloth.

You might give the LEGO bricks and some plate to build on and the cachers might build their name - that is the "logbook". But obviously that will need some space and you need place for a big "logbook" as of course the "signatures" and it shouldn't be "build it, take picture and dismantle it" but they are meant "forever".

I have the feeling that y nickname would take a room of abotu 10 times 30 centimetres. ;-)

But with a stage 1 with a LEGO model giving the coordinates (after you build it) and a LEGO final where you build your name to sign the "logbook" I would like it. At least I think so at 23:51 at the clock. ;-)

That's how I like cache planning: ideas follow after ideas..... most of them are crayz. :-P

yeah that is a great idea! yeah and i could ask people to dismantle the  one in the first cache that gives coordinates! awesome idea!

5 minutes ago, frostengel said:

We did a few of those. Once we found a large ammobox with a hammer and letters to punch our name in a piece of metal ( like this). Another idea may be to have small plastic cubes with a hole in it to make out your name when put on a piece of string.

• Helpful 1
8 hours ago, spookypants said:

omg thats so creative! 

The first one I found was creative and I liked it very much! But I think I had four (?) of them and it loses creativity. It's still a nice idea but not new anymore. (And you start wishing to hva e a shorter nickname.)

I had this hammering cache idea which on4bam describes (only) once (so that's better!?).

That happens, when cachers take cache ideas that they've seen outside to create their own ones. So I like a new approach and own ideas - keep on going.

I see that you have found some caches in the county New York, don't you? You have big Corona problems if I remember. Stay healthy and use the time to plan!

But - as others suggested - you should find some more multi caches before creating your own one. My first cache was a (too big!) multi cache and the publishing process took more than half a year. :-) It's getting much easier with more experience.

Jochen

5 hours ago, frostengel said:

The first one I found was creative and I liked it very much! But I think I had four (?) of them and it loses creativity. It's still a nice idea but not new anymore. (And you start wishing to hva e a shorter nickname.)

I had this hammering cache idea which on4bam describes (only) once (so that's better!?).

That happens, when cachers take cache ideas that they've seen outside to create their own ones. So I like a new approach and own ideas - keep on going.

I see that you have found some caches in the county New York, don't you? You have big Corona problems if I remember. Stay healthy and use the time to plan!

But - as others suggested - you should find some more multi caches before creating your own one. My first cache was a (too big!) multi cache and the publishing process took more than half a year. :-) It's getting much easier with more experience.

Jochen

Yeah, i havent done a single multi-cache yet! so i should definitally do that

23 hours ago, spookypants said:

to log it they would then take a picture of the build,

That would be considered an ALR (Additional Logging Requirement) and is not allowed.  For physical caches, a physical log can be signed as evidence that the cache was found.   You can't *require* that finders do something else in order to get credit for the find.   By the way, the cache with the most favorite points in the world (currently 11359) is a Lego cache in Berlin.  

39 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

That would be considered an ALR (Additional Logging Requirement) and is not allowed.  For physical caches, a physical log can be signed as evidence that the cache was found.   You can't *require* that finders do something else in order to get credit for the find.   By the way, the cache with the most favorite points in the world (currently 11359) is a Lego cache in Berlin.  

oh, i have been to Berlin, but i didn't geocache. and yeah that part would be optional.

20 minutes ago, spookypants said:

oh, i have been to Berlin, but i didn't geocache. and yeah that part would be optional.

I was in Berlin a couple of years ago and did geocache but forgot about the Lego cache.   If you travel a lot you're going to really enjoy geocaching.  You can do it pretty much anywhere.  

Just a wild guess on the giraffe avatar but how about Serengeti in northern Tanzania.  I went to Masai Mara last year, which borders Serengeti and had to DNF a cache next a bridge over the Mara river after a armed guard stopped me from going onto the bridge due to the hippos and crocs nearby.

11 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Lego Puzzle?

Gone after the first couple of child visitors, don't ya thnk?

Don't know, make the multi hard enough and it may last a long time. We've done plenty of multi's with special waypoints like jigsaw puzzles and other "toys" that lasted long. The key part may be to make it less child friendly like many WPs and longer hike.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
9 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Don't know, make the multi hard enough and it may last a long time. We've done plenty of multi's with special waypoints like jigsaw puzzles and other "toys" that lasted long. The key part may be to make it less child friendly like many WPs and longer hike.

lots of kids love hiking tho

Although it's not always worked, I have labeled some pieces in my caches as not to be taken as they are part of a game within a game for a bonus cache.  I have done so on the cache page as well as included a piece of laminated paper enclosed with the log but even that hasn't stopped people from trying to take pieces that are needed.  Even the container labeled "DO NOT TAKE" doesn't prevent people from mentioning the great trade items inside the cache.

• Upvote 1
On 4/8/2020 at 6:57 PM, coachstahly said:

Although it's not always worked, I have labeled some pieces in my caches as not to be taken as they are part of a game within a game for a bonus cache.  I have done so on the cache page as well as included a piece of laminated paper enclosed with the log but even that hasn't stopped people from trying to take pieces that are needed.  Even the container labeled "DO NOT TAKE" doesn't prevent people from mentioning the great trade items inside the cache.

I even had the pen marked clearly with a "do not take" notice, but still was stolen after a while. Not to mention people logging on the paper that says "this not the log, look some more" or placing a fake log together with that notice.

You have to expect everything. Gadget caches not reset properly (wiythout noticing CO), people logging online without writing in the logbook, and definitely people trying your cache ignoring all instructions - including an instruction to put pieces back. People are different and they will misunderstand.

• Upvote 1