Hiding my own cache: will Covid-19 delay being published?

spookypants

Based on the CDC announcement on March 28, the answer will more that likely be a No on new submissions getting Published.  You might be able to get a saturation check and a first look to see if there are any other issues that need to be addressed.  Link for reference:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s038-travel-advisory.html

• Helpful 1
4 minutes ago, Touchstone said:

Based on the CDC announcement on March 28, the answer will more that likely be a No on new submissions getting Published.  You might be able to get a saturation check and a first look to see if there are any other issues that need to be addressed.  Link for reference:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s038-travel-advisory.html

Thank you! this answered my question! thanks.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, spookypants said:

Will Covid-19 delay my local reviewer from checking out my cache?

Also note that the volunteer reviewers do not visit your cache location, so the travel advisories don't actually affect their ability to review your cache listing. The issue is really whether geocachers should be traveling to place or seek caches in various regions around the world..

I'm assuming you are in New York since your recent finds are in that state. Here's the regional wiki announcement:

https://wiki.Groundspeak.com/display/GEO/New+York#NewYork-NewYorkPausesforCOVID-19

New York Pauses for COVID-19

This is a very difficult and unsettling time we live in. The uncertainty of COVID-19 is utmost on everyone's mind. To help control the spread of COVID-19 the CDC (Center for Disease Control ) has issued a Domestic Travel Advisory through April 15.

To us it may be but to the rest of the world geocaching is not essential travel. The publication of new caches will certainly incite people to make the journey for FTF. This could easily create an unplanned gathering at the cache or trailhead.

Based on the CDC Domestic Travel Advisory we can no longer publish geocaches in New York. When the travel advisory is lifted, the New York reviewers will re-evaluate with input from Geocaching HQ and the world wide reviewer community if it is advisable to publish new listings.

Your new cache has been reviewed and will be published when we resume publishing. Because your cache will have been reviewed, it will be lock until it may be published.  In the event you need to make changes to your unpublished cache page or choose to cancel publication please contact the reviewer via the email link in his profile.

• Helpful 3
11 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

I'm assuming you are in New York since your recent finds are in that state. Here's the regional wiki announcement:

https://wiki.Groundspeak.com/display/GEO/New+York#NewYork-NewYorkPausesforCOVID-19

New York Pauses for COVID-19

This is a very difficult and unsettling time we live in. The uncertainty of COVID-19 is utmost on everyone's mind. To help control the spread of COVID-19 the CDC (Center for Disease Control ) has issued a Domestic Travel Advisory through April 15.

To us it may be but to the rest of the world geocaching is not essential travel. The publication of new caches will certainly incite people to make the journey for FTF. This could easily create an unplanned gathering at the cache or trailhead.

Based on the CDC Domestic Travel Advisory we can no longer publish geocaches in New York. When the travel advisory is lifted, the New York reviewers will re-evaluate with input from Geocaching HQ and the world wide reviewer community if it is advisable to publish new listings.

Your new cache has been reviewed and will be published when we resume publishing. Because your cache will have been reviewed, it will be lock until it may be published.  In the event you need to make changes to your unpublished cache page or choose to cancel publication please contact the reviewer via the email link in his profile.

oh ok, thats sad. got it thanks

1 hour ago, Lynx Humble said:

Hum why you said it's sad? You want to be responsible for the spread of a pandemic because of a FTF race?

no, i am not even an experienced geocacher. i had to look up what FTF meant. and I was just looking forward to hiding my first cache with my family.

24 minutes ago, spookypants said:

no, i am not even an experienced geocacher. i had to look up what FTF meant. and I was just looking forward to hiding my first cache with my family.

Assuming you can actually go to your intended hide site, this is a great chance to place your container and get it exactly how you like it.  It can be in place and ready to go, and you can edit the page, test the hide style, and test the coordinates. And you can make adjustments.  If someone finds it, cacher or not, while it's unpublished, you know it's gonna be a problem later.  It should remain unfound by anyone or anycritter.

Man, I never would have thought I'd ever be adding caveats about traveling only where and when our benevolent leaders permit.  That's sad.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
34 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Assuming you can actually go to your intended hide site, this is a great chance to place your container and get it exactly how you like it.  It can be in place and ready to go, and you can edit the page, test the hide style, and test the coordinates. And you can make adjustments.  If someone finds it, cacher or not, while it's unpublished, you know it's gonna be a problem later.  It should remain unfound by anyone or anycritter.

Man, I never would have thought I'd ever be adding caveats about traveling only where and when our benevolent leaders permit.  That's sad.

thanks for the advice