Grabbed VS Retrieved in logging trackables.

spookypants

29 minutes ago, spookypants said:

i keep messing up with the logging part, and am unclear on the difference of grabbing or retrieving. 

Thanks-spookypants

I believe retrieving is normally used if you found the TB listed in the cache and want to take it with you.   I believe grabbing it is when the TB is not listed in the cache you found it in or still in the possession of the last cacher who moved it.  
    If the cache was recently visited by the previous TB holder, you may want to send a note asking them to please  let you know when they plan to drop the TB in the cache before you “grab” it from them.  Just know some folks use GPS to cache and a home computer to log their stuff, so it may take awhile if the cacher is on vacation with that situation.  

I have found long lost TBs that were listed as missing and in an unknown location.  Typically I just “grab” it and then “drop” it in the cache I found it.  Then “retrieve” it from the cache and move it along to the next cache.  

More experienced TB movers may have more helpful advice for you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
2 minutes ago, outdoorsoccer said:

I believe retrieving is normally used if you found the TB listed in the cache and want to take it with you.   I believe grabbing it is when the TB is not listed in the cache you found it in or still in the possession of the last cacher who moved it.  
    If the cache was recently visited by the previous TB holder, you may want to send a note asking them to please  let you know when they plan to drop the TB in the cache before you “grab” it from them.  Just know some folks use GPS to cache and a home computer to log their stuff, so it may take awhile if the cacher is on vacation with that situation.  

I have found long lost TBs that were listed as missing and in an unknown location.  Typically I just “grab” it and then “drop” it in the cache I found it.  Then “retrieve” it from the cache and move it along to the next cache.  

More experienced TB movers may have more helpful advice for you. 

thank you so much! that answered my question! thanks!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, spookypants said:

i keep messing up with the logging part, and am unclear on the difference of grabbing or retrieving. 

I agree, the help center gets changed once in a while, and may not answer all questions.  

-  And that's what the forums is for.    :)

The Help Center section on "log a trackable"  simply says Retrieve is "pick up a trackable from the geocache", and  Grab is  "grab it from another cache, or another geocacher".

I remember seeing it  similar to (and explained well  by)  outdoorsoccer in that same section at one time...

• Helpful 2
On 4/5/2020 at 10:13 AM, outdoorsoccer said:

^^This.  Other cachers mess up, forget to log a drop, or someone unknowingly moves a TB around and doesn't log it.  I'll try to correct the logs as much as possible, at least make sure it's dropped and retrieved from the cache I  found it in.

TB's can be a lot of fun to follow and carry around and take photos  and add to their stories.  They can also be frustrating when they go missing or somebody carries them forever and seems to forget to drop them so someone else can move them along!