Is it okay to cache during Covid-19

Bo_Jack

15 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

"Studies so far are saying folks who stayed inside were the ones worse off."

Got a source for that because that makes no sense whatsoever.

I haven't seen any scientific evidence, but it DOES make sense to me.  Outside, sunshine, fresh air, wind, and exercize!  All good things to have and do, and which I try to do daily,  It's good for my mind to get out of the house and just BE outside, and a walk of a a couple of miles  is good exercise.  I get antsy when I don't get a walk in a day!  Plus, exposure to things in small doses in the outside world helps build an immunity, slowly but without the full effects of the illnes, be it a cold, flu, or other communicable viruses.

Staying inside means NO exposure to anything, so your system isn't as prepared as it could be when it finally does get exposed to even common stuff.  And I go stir crazy inside all the time.  Some may handle it better, but for my mental health (which does influence my physical health!) I need to get sunshine and fresh air!  No scientific evidence here, just what I know my body is telling me!

Caches have continued to be published in my area, abundantly so, an average of 2 or 3 a day, and some days as many as 8 or 9  - lots of new caches to find once we get back to caching more regularly. We've been out for caches just a few times, combining with other errands or grabbing an FTF close by home.  Others have been out more consistently, hiding and finding, as long as our rules say it's OK.  And things are beginning to ease up; I'm sure caching will be allowed going forward.

• Upvote 2
55 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Got a source for that because that makes no sense whatsoever.

"Worse off" isn't just about the virus...  

Doctors are reporting that a majority of cancer and diabetes patients haven't come in for treatments.  Wound care too.

People were waiting for what some governors called "elective surgeries"  (knee/hip replacements mostly), and suffered blood clots.

Some odd reason they're just now "discovering" the effects of "staying in place" and depression, alcoholism, spousal abuse, etc. 

- I thought that would be common sense...

... And in your state, your governor just said a couple days ago that 66% of new virus admissions were folks who stayed at home.

Look it up.  :)

• Helpful 1

I'm a bit bemused by several COs in my area with caches disabled (and in at least one case with the "and I will delete any log during lockdown" rider) who have found caches themselves. 

I'm in the "go caching a little, locally, in the countryside" school of thought (8 finds and an adventure lab series since 22 March; 1 cache published) - got next week off so will hunt down some more but not going crazy and not wanting to do urban / suburban ones, though there are about 15 new ones in the next town.

Happy caching, everyone....

Edited by Oxford Stone
  • Upvote 3
  • Funny 1

Some CO's disabled their caches around here too and I wonder if that decision was wise. In fact, we went out a few times on foot and on our bikes from home in the last few weeks picking up caches and most, not all, were not found more than 3 days before we found them so we considered them "safe". For the ones that were found less than 3 days before we found them we used latex gloves and hand sanitizer. As restrictions are eased the TD caches are getting back online and it seems that they now get more traffic in a short time. I'm sure that if caches would have been available the whole time visits would have been spread out more over time.

As we rarely cache near home we had lots of caches to find over the last few weeks and we still have some left to keep us busy for a few outings.

As for getting the virus while staying at home, that's ridiculous. Somehow those people came into contact with someone who was infected, be it delivery people, guests or when they went out to shop.

6 hours ago, on4bam said:

As for getting the virus while staying at home, that's ridiculous. Somehow those people came into contact with someone who was infected, be it delivery people, guests or when they went out to shop.

Causation and correlation are different. The numbers locally say that those people that "stayed home" saw a greater infection rate. Sure, it puzzling and there is no clear answer [yet] on how they got infected, but its something that needs to be investigated.

Sweden, who had a relative relaxed attitude about the situation, and only really restricted cross border travel is only seeing about an 8% infection rate. Again, causation and correlation are different, but it does begs the question... is being active and outdoors better for people.

• Upvote 2
48 minutes ago, igator210 said:

Sweden, who had a relative relaxed attitude about the situation, and only really restricted cross border travel is only seeing about an 8% infection rate. Again, causation and correlation are different, but it does begs the question... is being active and outdoors better for people.

Sweden also has a huge amount of deaths compared to their neighbors. They also didn't hospitalize most of the elderly.

I'm sure it will take a long time to get the right numbers and to know what the best way to counter this pandemic was. Just looking at the numbers Belgium did very bad but recently more information became available and we now know that all deaths in retirements homes are counted as COVID-19 deaths but in fact only 25% were actually infected. That means a our "overall corona death toll" is several 1000 lower than publicized. OTOH it seems none of the deaths in retirement homes in the UK are counted which would, at this time, add about 10000 to the official number of around 32000.

As usual, with statistics you can prove anything. We'll have to wait and see.

10 hours ago, on4bam said:

One person goes out to shop and, for whatever reason, picks it up: +1

When they get home, they spread it to their family: +3

Result: 3 out of 4 people get it while "staying at home". I doubt many people are social distancing or wearing masks at home, so I assume if any one person brings it into a household, everyone else in the household will get it.

When I first heard of this phenomenon a week or two ago and went to look it up, I could only find reports from March. I wouldn't be surprised if this trend is all different now, but who knows?

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, dprovan said:

One person goes out to shop and, for whatever reason, picks it up: +1

When they get home, they spread it to their family: +3

Result: 3 out of 4 people get it while "staying at home". I doubt many people are social distancing or wearing masks at home, so I assume if any one person brings it into a household, everyone else in the household will get it.

Exactly, in a retirement home nearby everyone was in lockdown early on (no family visits allowed). Of course, personnel was still going home after their shift and returned the day after. End result after 9 weeks, 17 people dead and several still recovering. That's out of about 80 people living there. 2 other retirement homes have no cases.

32 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Exactly, in a retirement home nearby everyone was in lockdown early on (no family visits allowed). Of course, personnel was still going home after their shift and returned the day after. End result after 9 weeks, 17 people dead and several still recovering. That's out of about 80 people living there. 2 other retirement homes have no cases.

One of the worst outbreaks in Australia was in a Sydney aged care home. The virus is believed to have been brought in by an infected worker who was only experiencing very mild symptoms but ended up infecting 37 residents and 32 staff, with 16 of those dying. With the total deaths in New South Wales currently at 50 and 102 across the entire country, that one outbreak was a major contributor. The other big contributor here was the Ruby Princess cruise ship which accounted for 21 deaths and hundreds of infections.

• Upvote 1