Is it okay to cache during Covid-19

Bo_Jack

7 minutes ago, Bo_Jack said:

Was wondering if it’s OK to keep caching here in Pennsylvania. We have a stay at home order however the rules say you can go for exercise. Was wondering what other cachers are doing.

We're in PA , and even though we're in a restricted area ("stay at home"), those guidelines also allow exercise, sun, and fresh air with a bit of common sense, and abiding by "social distancing" guidelines.

I'm walking many of our local park trails now (about two miles a day). 

Now that the other 2/3rds doesn't cache, I prefer caches at least 2T.  If I wanted to cache in any of them though, I wouldn't think twice.  

No COs in our area (NE PA) have TD any of their caches, and around two dozen new caches have been published within 30 miles. 

I'd say if you listen to the reasoning of new caches placed (in Max and 99's helpful link), sticking to "out of town", I feel you'd be fine.    :)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

We are in FL, which has a "stay at home" order for the state with basically the same guidelines as PA, and we just went out and found 11 caches at a local park. In my opinion, just make sure to social distance and wash or sanitize often and you should be fine.  

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, IceColdUK said:

Maybe ask a health service worker what they think?

I'm reasonably sure that any official, when asked, will say, "No, stay at home," no matter what the question. The shelter-in-place orders issued by the 7 counties in the San Francisco Bay Area all express an attitude strongly suggesting that if you have to ask, then you shouldn't go out.

Most geocachers -- including me -- seem to be assuming that geocaching is exercise, so that's OK. San Mateo county, though, put a specific clause saying that it's OK to go out to exercise, but only if you don't go more than 5 miles from home. They're *really* mad because the first weekend of the lockdown, everyone flocked to the beaches, which the officials took as a serious slap in the face.

• Upvote 1

Pennsylvania doesn't have a lot of beaches and there is no restriction in the Governor's order about staying within 5 miles of home when hiking to get physical exercise.

As noted above, new caches are still being published in PA when consistent with the law.  A cache in a forest, gamelands or park is fine (unless near a playground), because those are places where one would go to get physical exercise.  People don't go to big box store parking lots for physical exercise, so we aren't publishing new caches in that type of location.  As for visiting existing caches in such places, that is on the finder for complying with the law.

• Helpful 3

I went out for the first time in years yesterday. We are in a lockdown so many precautions are in place one being don't touch anything someone else may have touched recently. The problem with caching is the same as playing golf right now. Even if you go alone you are touching the flag or ball washer and in the caching sense you are touching the container and it's contents.

I am not a diehard log signer and I am sure this is going to ruffle many feathers but no way will I be grabbing containers and signing. I am in this for exercise not competition and just want to stay alive and keep others safe. Sometimes the rules should be broken.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

I see so many in here saying they just won't touch the caches, but I am certain you are still exposing yourselves. Have you passed by anyone on the way to the cache in your journey from your front door to gz, well aren't you exposing yourself to their aerosols. How far do you think the wind carries some of that. You might say well I am wearing a mask, but it is still going to get on your clothes, your phone and whatever else you might have with you. Will you completely disrobe in your airlock and disinfect everything before sheltering in place again. Basically, there's nothing you can do!

3 hours ago, stealth11 said:

The problem with caching is the same as playing golf right now. Even if you go alone you are touching the flag or ball washer and in the caching sense you are touching the container and it's contents.

I've found 10 or 20 caches since the lockdown, and not a single one had been touched by anyone within the period that the virus is known to survive on that kind of surface, discounting the remote possibility of a non-cacher finding it and handling it without a corresponding log being entered. With golf, the person you're worried about was there touching that object 5 minutes ago. So I don't consider the risk for geocaching large, although for the run where someone had found the caches the day before, I used gloves just to be sure.

But I'm not trying to talk you out of not signing. That's up to you, and I expect most COs will understand if you explain in your find log and don't play games like not climbing a tree but then claiming the find. If you're worried about the CO, you could just log a note: they can't complain about that.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
3 hours ago, stealth11 said:

I went out for the first time in years yesterday. We are in a lockdown so many precautions are in place one being don't touch anything someone else may have touched recently. The problem with caching is the same as playing golf right now. Even if you go alone you are touching the flag or ball washer and in the caching sense you are touching the container and it's contents.

I am not a diehard log signer and I am sure this is going to ruffle many feathers but no way will I be grabbing containers and signing.

I am in this for exercise not competition and just want to stay alive and keep others safe. Sometimes the rules should be broken.

No feathers ruffled .   :)

Hopefully, and to be fair,  you also realize that a CO can delete any find without a signature, right ?

If you're  truly in this for exercise and not competition, you could have written a note saying you spotted them, and will be back when this virus thing's over.  ;)  

• Upvote 6
  • Helpful 1

We are allowed to go out but not travel too far, and to avoid popular places. Some nature areas and most parking places at those are closed. I don’t have a car and look up a place outside my town for a bit of walking for one weekend day. If it’s too busy (not London park busy but just a few people) then I turn around. 

My state has closed all the state parks and forest lands it owns, the feds have closed all the national forests and most cities and counties have closed their parks. That said there are still places to geocache in my region you just have to do some searching. Luckily one city with a rather large park system and one county in my region has not closed their parks. While our forests are dense and trails can be narrow when I have encountered people along the trails I/they step aside off the trail to allow them/me appropriate distance to pass. I bring my lunch, water, hand sanitizer and wipes. I feel I am doing my part to maintain social distancing and keep my hands clean and I am wearing a mask when out and about. 

Once this pandemic has gone away, there are going to be a lot of survivors with some sort of PTSD/psychological damage from the illness, isolation, economic damage, guilt and upheaval of daily lives. My industry has been decimated so I don't know what the future holds for me. Getting out of the house, ignoring the news, getting in the car, going into a woods and finding geocaches helps me emotionally, mentally so the psychological damage may be lessened. 

• Upvote 2
On 4/5/2020 at 9:09 AM, dprovan said:

They're *really* mad because the first weekend of the lockdown, everyone flocked to the beaches, which the officials took as a serious slap in the face.

We have a nature park where this happened. It was closed because too many people were visiting it. Out along the roads in that direction there are many other places that people could have gone and spread out for their walk. But no, they went to the same place. Unbelievable! Don't some people have imagination and adventure enough to go find new places, and not all flock together. Anyway the place is now closed because of their actions.

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

We have a nature park where this happened. It was closed because too many people were visiting it. Out along the roads in that direction there are many other places that people could have gone and spread out for their walk. But no, they went to the same place. Unbelievable! Don't some people have imagination and adventure enough to go find new places, and not all flock together. Anyway the place is now closed because of their actions.

There are some really scary videos of students at spring break in Florida.  At the university where I work,   students were asked to leave and not return to campus after spring break. 

Last week (during his daily press conference) someone asked our County Executive if it was permissible to drive to county parks to get exercise.  The response was a resounding "Of course!  Just stay away from large groups of people."  In Western NY it doesn't get more conclusive than that.

He then rattled off a list of a dozen remote (by distance) parks he would recommend visiting, all requiring a 20 mile or more drive.

Most parks in this region have been fairly empty, at least when we've been there.

We have cached, too, but only one of us has ever touched the cache while wearing gloves and immediately using hand sanitizer.  Copious amounts of hand sanitizer.  And wipes.

• Helpful 1
12 hours ago, GO Geiger said:

Last week (during his daily press conference) someone asked our County Executive if it was permissible to drive to county parks to get exercise.  The response was a resounding "Of course!  Just stay away from large groups of people."  In Western NY it doesn't get more conclusive than that.

Yeah, that's what they said in San Mateo County until everyone ran out and did it. Since everything else was closed, it was the biggest weekend ever at many of the parks, more people than the nicest day in high season. They closed the county parks the next day. Then the next week, they added a clause to the rules saying you could not travel more than 5 miles to get somewhere to exercise.

I wish they hadn't, but I don't really blame them. No one knows what's going to happen, so the officials are really worried just like everyone else.

20 hours ago, GO Geiger said:

Last week (during his daily press conference) someone asked our County Executive if it was permissible to drive to county parks to get exercise. 

The response was a resounding "Of course!  Just stay away from large groups of people."  In Western NY it doesn't get more conclusive than that.

He then rattled off a list of a dozen remote (by distance) parks he would recommend visiting, all requiring a 20 mile or more drive.

Most parks in this region have been fairly empty, at least when we've been there.

We have cached, too, but only one of us has ever touched the cache while wearing gloves and immediately using hand sanitizer. 

Copious amounts of hand sanitizer.  And wipes.

Nice to see your local government is the one to give options.     :)        Ours are in hiding...

We're rural as well, and luckily don't see the craziness that many densely-populated areas are seeing, just to get outside a bit. 

The closest park for a decent walk is over 20 miles away too, but fortunately our game lands are open,  they're this state's (PA) largest landowner, and a bunch close by for a long walk seeing someone rarely.

The state also announced today (for some odd reason...) that yesterday at 0800,  the trout season opens two weeks early,  to give folks some sanity.

- Guess the big wigs never saw a season opener...   :D

We simply need to abide by distancing rules, and they'll be updating on whether "rules" need to be changed to fit noticed issues.

There's a few cache series along trout-stocked waters here, and folks can now cache, and maybe take home a fresh meal for dinner too..

Stream trout season opened in Jan so now it's just a matter of weather - Weather I want to be cold or warm that is.  I realize the rules as I had 300 caches of my own at one time and never once deleted a find for any reason. This is not a competition or a must win event it's just an excuse to get out and do something hopefully healthy. So if anyone thinks signing a log is worth contact with this virus and endangering others than I guess we are in for a long long summer at home.

We are lucky, as we have many places to go for a walk alone (and cache) and avoid people. We can drive to a Nature Park, either outside the city, or inside the city, as many hills inside the city are nature parks. A nickname for Canberra, is the bush capital.  A couple of views from two different hills in the city, taken recently while caching. We have a population of 400,000 among the trees. Here in the ACT (Australian Capital Territory) we don't have lock down (it's only a suggestion), but over the border, NSW, which encircles the ACT, does, so as long as we don't leave our smallish 'island' we can drive somewhere.

So far we have had 100 confirmed caches in the ACT, with 54 recovered. We had one new case in the last 24 hours. Restrictions are not being eased, as those numbers could worsen. So far, most people have been observing the restrictions; only going out for work where they can't work from home, necessary shopping (food), medical reasons and exercise. Schools and childcare centres are closed.

People have been warned not to travel for Easter, and the NSW police have warned there could be fines of over a $1,000 if people are caught far from the ACT border in NSW. ACT number plates will be easy for the NSW police to spot.

The Australia figures. The signs are that the curve is flattening, but we can't be complacent, or the numbers could rise again.

Confirmed
  Recovered
  Deaths

View from Mt Ainslie.jpg

Black Mt 5.jpg

Edited by Goldenwattle
1 hour ago, stealth11 said:

Stream trout season opened in Jan so now it's just a matter of weather - Weather I want to be cold or warm that is.  I realize the rules as I had 300 caches of my own at one time and never once deleted a find for any reason. This is not a competition or a must win event it's just an excuse to get out and do something hopefully healthy. So if anyone thinks signing a log is worth contact with this virus and endangering others than I guess we are in for a long long summer at home.

Finding a cache itself is not part of the health equation. If anything, finding a cache these days can be unhealthy, possibly deadly. It's very obvious this new virus is more easily spread and more dangerous than a regular seasonal flu virus. No one has a good grasp on how long this virus can actually last on various surfaces or all the ways it can be spread.

A stay at home order is mandated by most state's governments. Exercise outside is an exception but I don't think lingering in an area, finding caches, touching, possibly coughing or sneezing on them, falls into this exercise category. 

• Upvote 3

As noted in another thread, take as much care caching as you should be taking when bringing supplies into your home and you're going to be in fine shape.

If you're doing your own shopping, how are you handling a package of bacon, looking at the back side to see if it's any good, and perhaps leaving it behind for a better one?

C'mon folks, caching need be treated no differently than just about every activity that touches an object that is or has come from outside of your home.  The practices are necessary, and are basically the same.  Ignore that, and you're going to be at FAR higher risk bringing in the groceries than you are touching far less items in a caching day... well, unless you're into power trails, I guess!

• Upvote 6
5 hours ago, stealth11 said:

I realize the rules as I had 300 caches of my own at one time and never once deleted a find for any reason.

This is not a competition or a must win event it's just an excuse to get out and do something hopefully healthy. So if anyone thinks signing a log is worth contact with this virus and endangering others than I guess we are in for a long long summer at home.

You say you realize the rules, so curious...  is this "no log signing" based on your belief that this hobby isn't considered a game for many and competitive,  or now that we have yet-another virus ?

We have viruses every year, so that can't be it...   

If it's the competition angle, that's  incorrect too,  as at least two third-party sites were created  just for this hobby's  stats.

You don't really need an excuse if your last twenty-something finds you didn't sign...   If a CO cares, they'll fix that.  :)

• Upvote 3
4 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

C'mon folks, caching need be treated no differently than just about every activity that touches an object that is or has come from outside of your home. 

The practices are necessary, and are basically the same.  Ignore that, and you're going to be at FAR higher risk bringing in the groceries than you are touching far less items in a caching day

Yep.  I'd worry more about that shopping cart or basket that's been touched thirty times before I got there.

Every single can, bag, or package in the store was touched by someone at least once before you grabbed it.

Need gas ?  You think the guy behind the glass comes out to wipe that handle down each time it's grabbed ?

Now people are worried about a container that might have been touched a couple days ago, outdoors  ?  Right...

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

No kidding.  Saw a kid take a few cursory swipes across just the top of the handles on shopping carts with a rag wetted with something. 

Here, I now glove up as I go out the back door to the car.  You have to assume that everything outside of your house carries the potential for contamination, and assure that anything brought inside goes through decon on the way in.

Say, anyone know if those decon containers that you find as caches can be purchased by civilians NOT empty? <_<  Have always wondered what was in one.  Wonder if it's like an M291?

• Upvote 1

The old M258 contents are NOT like the resin system in the M291. If I had to use one of them for biologicals I would use the packet (there are two different packets in the M258) that contained a towelette prewetted with phenol, ethanol, sodium hydroxide, ammonia, and water if one were available:mellow:

23 hours ago, Mudfrog said:

Finding a cache itself is not part of the health equation.

If anything, finding a cache these days can be unhealthy, possibly deadly. It's very obvious this new virus is more easily spread and more dangerous than a regular seasonal flu virus. No one has a good grasp on how long this virus can actually last on various surfaces or all the ways it can be spread.

A stay at home order is mandated by most state's governments. Exercise outside is an exception but I don't think lingering in an area, finding caches, touching, possibly coughing or sneezing on them, falls into this exercise category. 

Really ?    Please explain how "lingering" outdoors poses any kind of hazard.  Thanks.    :)

No offense, but it seems (to me) you're  more-than overreacting...

-   the exaggeration of someone  lingering around, coughing and sneezing on caches...   :D

I'm in a state with a "stay at home" order.  If it was literal, we wouldn't be able to get groceries, medications, or go to a doctor, as well as health/sanity walks outdoors.

- Those groceries  in an indoor environment, visited and touched by many, pose a greater risk than a  found once in a while cache outdoors.

It should be common sense that most people in any park aren't geocachers. 

Subtract the cachers worried about going out too, and all the fears of "touching" an outdoors cache of all things (I feel) is really silly.  

• Upvote 7
On 4/9/2020 at 2:10 PM, cerberus1 said:

Yep.  I'd worry more about that shopping cart or basket that's been touched thirty times before I got there.

Every single can, bag, or package in the store was touched by someone at least once before you grabbed it.

Need gas ?  You think the guy behind the glass comes out to wipe that handle down each time it's grabbed ?

Now people are worried about a container that might have been touched a couple days ago, outdoors  ?  Right...

cerberus1, no disagreement here and not directed at you, I just latched onto your comment about the handle of a gas pump.

The SARS-CoV-2 virus is an enveloped virus, which means it relies on a lipid “envelope” to protect the RNA molecule from falling apart, once the RNA falls apart the virus is no longer viable. Lipids disintegrate in a hydrocarbons environment so I would imagine if you smell gasoline in the area around a gas pump you are probably safer than touching a shopping cart or a can of green beans. I've yet to find a documented case of COVID-19 acquired only by surface contact but would welcome a citation that doesn't rely on the words would, could, if, or Facebook.

Even though my location is surrounded by seven counties covering about 30454.71 square miles, with an overall population density of 1.9 per sq. mile, and 1 case of COVID-19 100 miles away, I’m still sticking close to the house and taking the precautions  I THINK are necessary for MY location. This has given me a chance to look at information without the drama Facebook, Twitter, and the news media provide. If it’s time to give up and jump off a bridge so be it, but I would rather make that decision based on the information I’ve gathered myself rather than the information provided by the aforementioned organizations, my glass is half full.

It’s pretty dry reading since it doesn't contain drama and you have to think for yourself, but https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/, http://www.healthdata.org/, and https://www.cdc.gov/ have raw data you can analyze to make your own decisions.

Edited by 31BMSG
Continuity
  • Helpful 1
4 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Really ?    Please explain how "lingering" outdoors poses any kind of hazard.  Thanks.

Here in New South Wales (Australia), lingering outdoors is not allowed. You can walk along the beach or go for a swim but you can't sit on the sand sunbaking, reading a book or daydreaming about caches. Likewise if you buy take-away food, you can't sit around outside eating it. Sure, one person lingering in isolation might not be a problem, but it turns into one when everyone starts doing it and you get this:

Coronavirus: Police take action on Bondi Beach crowds - BBC News

Here, the rule is you must stay at home unless you are going to work (where you can't work remotely), school or an educational institution, shop for food and essentials, or exercise and that's being rigorously enforced by police. It might seem tough but it's working, with the daily number of new cases across Australia now back below 100 and some cautious optimism that the virus could be snuffed out here.

image.png.39eb3cb823c6a7996ed4a159fd2444a1.png

• Upvote 3
Here's my take:
1. I practice what are known as universal precautions whenever I go caching. Assume that there are germs everywhere, including on the cache container, and don't touch your nose, eyes, or mouth until you wash your hands.
2. The COVID-19 virus could be on a cache, so all you need to do is "Clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water. Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, or nose." (WHO)
3. Just a guess here, but touching items in a grocery store (or any store for that matter) carries a much higher risk of cross contamination due to the number and frequency of touches vs a cache container.
4. Assuming one follows universal precautions, the only other way I can see caching as being dangerous would be to break the "6 foot rule". I don't think I need to explain this one, lol.
So I plan on continuing caching, following these simple "rules." The great outdoors is the perfect place to be during a viral outbreak with its wide-open spaces and clean air! Happy trails my fellow cachers
  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
21 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Really ?    Please explain how "lingering" outdoors poses any kind of hazard.  Thanks.    :)

No offense, but it seems (to me) you're  more-than overreacting...

-   the exaggeration of someone  lingering around, coughing and sneezing on caches...   :D

I'm in a state with a "stay at home" order.  If it was literal, we wouldn't be able to get groceries, medications, or go to a doctor, as well as health/sanity walks outdoors.

- Those groceries  in an indoor environment, visited and touched by many, pose a greater risk than a  found once in a while cache outdoors.

It should be common sense that most people in any park aren't geocachers. 

Subtract the cachers worried about going out too, and all the fears of "touching" an outdoors cache of all things (I feel) is really silly.  

Putting it into perspective, the chance of meeting up with the virus from a geocache container is most likely much lower than when doing other normally routine things such as grocery shopping and pumping gas. Still, there is the slight chance it can occur. We go to adding everything else that might go into a geocaching trip and the odds become greater. Driving (possibly getting into an accident), pumping gas, buying snacks/supplies, greater chances of running into people, and grabbing the cache itself offer up opportunities for catching/spreading this thing. 

I don't know,, Do viruses like covid-19 survive longer on surfaces in dark and/or damp areas? I may be totally off base but my thinking is that a damp geocache could be a place that a virus might survive longer???

Our local government has stay at home guidelines in place right now. We are advised to not go out except for going to work or when necessities are needed. Gecoaching is a fun hobby but it does not fall into the category of being essential or necessary at this time. No over-reaction here, I'm simply doing my share to help slow this mess. ;)

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Mudfrog said:

I don't know,, Do viruses like covid-19 survive longer on surfaces in dark and/or damp areas? I may be totally off base but my thinking is that a damp geocache could be a place that a virus might survive longer???

I think it best to trust the experts. As soon doubt is inserted to the opinions and findings of those are working directly with this, that's when the doors open to panic and random theories and mob mentality ... people need to trust the experts. The longest they've had the virus survive has been 72 hours.

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Gabeman26 said:

I went caching in a far away trail wearing a gas mask. To my surprise this trail in the middle of nowhere was FULL of people, be careful out there.

Also all the dogs barked at me lol.

Curious ... aren't you the one that sometimes carries a small rifle, and has worn chain mail in the woods ?

Walking in public, carrying a small rifle,  while wearing chain mail and a gas mask ...  is there really any wonder ?     :)    

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, Gabeman26 said:

I went caching in a far away trail wearing a gas mask. To my surprise this trail in the middle of nowhere was FULL of people, be careful out there.

Also all the dogs barked at me lol.

2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Curious ... aren't you the one that sometimes carries a small rifle, and has worn chain mail in the woods ?

Walking in public, carrying a small rifle,  while wearing chain mail and a gas mask ...  is there really any wonder ?     :)    

Given that situation, and it's the DOGS that object, and not their owners?

Where do you live, Tromaville?

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
  • Upvote 1

Not now, of course.  Nitrile and vinyl gloves, ANY kind of face mask (even those particulate masks that are pretty useless against a virus) and face shields aren't on the shelves.  Harbor Freight donated all of their 3mil, 5mil and 7mil gloves, but were retaining some 9mil (the black ones) for employees that handle money.  The Gerson mask shown also used to be a staple at Harbor Freight, but even those disappear as soon as they're off the truck. 

I was lucky to have previously scored a small handful of N95 masks (one for each family member) and a box of medium and large nitrile gloves before they became akin to unobtainium.

• Helpful 1

The way I see it, geocaching is a solo activity (or with family who you already are with every day), and it's usually in places where people don't go or people don't touch, so it's okay.  I mean, I'm not going to find any viruses on lamp post skirts, you know?  Maybe if I find one on a LFL or something someone may have touched recently, I could wear a glove, but the majority of them are not going to have had much human contact.  My geocaching has gone down a lot simply because I haven't gone out many places (I always try to pick up a couple when I go somewhere new), but I plan to go out specially today to get some.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
On 4/11/2020 at 2:29 PM, ecanderson said:

I suspect what he meant was something more along this order, readily available at hardware stores.  I was pleasantly surprised at how well it knocks down lacquer fumes when spraying.

Mask.jpg

Check his gallery. He means a WWII style gas mask.  

GERMAN-GAS-MASK-WWII-FRONT.jpg

Edited by L0ne.R