BTW - Noticed Yesterday...

... while out for my daily walk that Gas is 89 cents. If I had anywhere to drive to, I would be burning $1.29 gas. This should be another "Entertainment for ..." thread.

QUIZ: Who can remember the last day/date on which gas was under $1.00???

(Hint - I sure can't, but I'm old, decrepit and now carry my wallet wherever I go in case anyone should ask me my name. :wacko:)

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
1 minute ago, ScroogieII said:

... while out for my daily walk that Gas is 89 cents. If I had anywhere to drive to, I would be burning $1.29 gas. This should be another "Entertainment for ..." thread.

QUIZ: Who can remember the last day/date on which gas was under $1.00???

(Hint - I sure can't, but I'm old, decrepit and now carry my wallet in case anyone should ask me my name. :wacko:)

Keith

We can remember. We had long drives back then, so we paid attention to gas prices.

I guess we have two (at least) parallel possible threads here. Canadian thread - Litres. US thread - Gallons.

Strangely, I do remember that in 1999 gas was 98 cents in Joplin, MO. But the date on which it crossed into three digits is lost to me.

Now what we need is the Europeans to clue us in as to Euros per gallon (OOPS!!! Sorry Guys!!) Litre over the years.

Then the Aussies and the Kiwis. And I don't actually know whether the "Down Unders" have, at least somewhat, gone metric or not.Gotta pay closer attention to the south side.

Edited by ScroogieII

In the second weekend of July 1999, I paid exactly US$1.00/gallon on Mohawk territory in upstate New York.

BTW, gas here today is 62 cents/litre.

In recent days gas has fallen to 60.9 cents but not yet below.

Edited by elyob

We've got it for $1.79/gal. That's $.47/liter. I do not remember when it was below $1.00/gal.

I do remember as a child in the late 1950's, they had gas wars between oil companies. In our small town there were two gas stations. One was told to cut their price from $.11 to $.09 / gal. , which he did. The other was also told to cut his price. He said "nuts to that", closed his station, and put a sign in the window "Gone on Vacation"

After hovering around $3 a gallon for the last 8 years I noticed when I went for groceries yesterday it's down to $2.19. I keep 5 jerry cans in rotation for my back country adventures but since both vehicles are full and only 1 can is empty I won't be taking advantage of the price.

7 hours ago, elyob said:

We can get out and about as long as social-distancing is used.  However, how far from home can I venture when there are no public toilets available?

The solution: Do your travelling in VERY rural areas and remember to take a roll of TP with you.

Right now I'm building a GPX file of Benchmarks to hunt for, most of which are in VERY RURAL areas, so that's where I'll be spending much of my time when it warms up a bit more. Already have the TP in the car. :)

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Upvote 1
On 4/3/2020 at 8:21 AM, ScroogieII said:

I guess we have two (at least) parallel possible threads here. Canadian thread - Litres. US thread - Gallons.

Strangely, I do remember that in 1999 gas was 98 cents in Joplin, MO. But the date on which it crossed into three digits is lost to me.

Now what we need is the Europeans to clue us in as to Euros per gallon (OOPS!!! Sorry Guys!!) Litre over the years.

Then the Aussies and the Kiwis. And I don't actually know whether the "Down Unders" have, at least somewhat, gone metric or not.Gotta pay closer attention to the south side.

Australia is completely metric. Money went metric in 1966 and metric became the only system taught in schools from 1974 (at least in NSW). Metric is completely accepted. Some older people (over 70) might still think in imperial, but for the overwhelming rest of us, it's metric. There is also sometimes 'expressions' still said for rough measurement, such as 'about a foot', but if it were actually measured, it would be in metric. Although I only was taught the imperial system at school (showing my age), if someone mentions (some) old measurements now I need to convert it to metric to understand. Gills anyone :blink::lol:. There was very little opposition to the change and it went smoothly. It was just done, without backslides.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_Australia

The last time I bought petrol it was A$1.13 (plus fraction of cent). Most petrol stations are selling it for more.

Edited by Goldenwattle
8 hours ago, elyob said:

We can get out and about as long as social-distancing is used.  However, how far from home can I venture when there are no public toilets available?

That's what trees are for. I prefer going bush than public toilets. More hygienic, especially at this time, public toilets are risky.

Coincidentally, Canada changed to metric at the same time as did New South Wales.  Those of us in school at that time had to unlearn all those units taught in our earlier grades.  Interestingly, today produce is still sold by the pound.  My height is in feet and inches.  And nobody knows how to measure the fuel efficiency of a vehicle.

21 minutes ago, elyob said:

Coincidentally, Canada changed to metric at the same time as did New South Wales.  Those of us in school at that time had to unlearn all those units taught in our earlier grades.  Interestingly, today produce is still sold by the pound.  My height is in feet and inches.  And nobody knows how to measure the fuel efficiency of a vehicle.

try litres/fortnight  :blink:

12 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

try litres/fortnight  :blink:

Just did the calculation for my car for the time since I moved to my present location. It worked out to 1.043 litres/fortnight.

As you can see, I'm not doing much travelling of late. Too, all of it is "in town" travelling, at average speeds of not much more than a few furlongs/fortnight.

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Upvote 1

The problem for Canada is that we share the longest non-militarized border with the Greatest Imperial Measurement Country on Earth. Too much trade between the 2 countries to totally metricate (woo hoo - new word for me!). Lumber is in imperial; hardware (nuts/bolts/etc) are a very odd mixture of the two systems. If our largest trading partner was also using metric, we could fully switch over ourselves.

11 minutes ago, TriciaG said:

The problem for Canada is that we share the longest non-militarized border with the Greatest Imperial Measurement Country on Earth. Too much trade between the 2 countries to totally metricate (woo hoo - new word for me!). Lumber is in imperial; hardware (nuts/bolts/etc) are a very odd mixture of the two systems. If our largest trading partner was also using metric, we could fully switch over ourselves.

and down here, we're too dumb to learn new stuff, and too stubborn to even try!

• Funny 1
5 hours ago, TriciaG said:

We can't even get the Yankees to use Robertson head screws. Wazzat say about them?!?!

• Upvote 1
On 4/6/2020 at 12:27 AM, ScroogieII said:

We can't even get the Yankees to use Robertson head screws. Wazzat say about them?!?!

Some of us Yankees have learned and can convert in our head approximations for distance, and volume. I personally prefer the Robertson head screws over the Phillips, but they are hard to find.

8 minutes ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

I personally prefer the Robertson head screws over the Phillips, but they are hard to find.

Well, 'tis true. Pretty much anyone who tries them prefers them.

This gives me a money making idea - smuggling screws.

• Funny 1

I remember in 1982 when gas in my home town passed the $1.00/gallon for the first time. I can't remember when I last saw less than $1.00 until a couple weeks ago, on my way home from Chandler, OK. I think it was Ada that had gas for 99.9 cents/gallon.

I paid $1.27 in East Texas yesterday.

26 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

It is getting towards the end of the May futures contract for crude oil.  Trading in that contract is really thin so wild swings can happen.  Unfortunately, people and traders get spooked by news like this and start selling like crazy.  For me, since I am not at retirement age and I am thankfully and luckily working from home, what drops like this means is that I am adding to my 401(k) with MUCH cheaper share prices than I was two months ago.  WHEN (not if) this market bounces back, I am going to be much further ahead than I would have been without the drop AND without a panic sell and reallocation.  The futures market has already bounced back in this evening's trading.

All I am seeing is Billy Ray and Louis in the Frozen Orange Juice pit and asking: "How did you do today?"  Great movie!  Of course, they don't even have those live pits anymore, but still....

8 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

Well, I am happy about Tom's 401(k) but can't comment further.

I grew up in Alberta and still have friends there. I don't feel it would be appropriate to say more.

People working in the industry are really getting hurt right now - it's always been boom or bust.  I got a feeling, though, there is going to be some serious gasoline shortages come late fall as everyone travels after being cooped up.

20 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

If you are wondering, I was contacted a few months ago requesting the publication of this photo.

As always, we were willing to grant permission. I gave our consent to the use of this photo.

I will say that this the first time we have actually received a copy of the publication.

Granum Town Office

What, did they send a hard copy? That's cool!!!

OOPS! Deleted again.

Oh Well, Here's a sanitized version :

April 2, 2020 - Gas is 89 cents
April 2, 2022 - Gas is $1.89 - Diesel is $1.93
(Gas, in this area at least, topped out at about $1.99, somewhat higher on the coast.)

What a difference seemingly small things such as oil prices can exert upon our lives!!!

Got an email from France a couple of days ago, and I quote: "€200 for 60 liters" [for diesel].
That translates to $Cdn4.60 per litre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Which becomes $Cdn20.49 per Imperial gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now let's translate that further to US $ per US gallon for the US viewers: - $13.64 per gallon

So, we can all quit our bitchin' on this side of the pond. The folks on the other side of the pond are taking an economic hit that we are, to date, fortunate to have somewhat avoided, in spite of what many may perceive! 

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

Current price for Diesel at the gas station around the corner in Brühl, NRW, Germany:

2.009 €/L. That would be 12,63 $Cdn / Imperial gallon.

Two weeks ago I had to pay 2.469 €/L - which would be 15,52 $Cdn / Imperial gallon.

I remember, that the last time when diesel prices were below 1 €/L were shortly after the conversion from DM to Euro in January 2002 (when 1,61 DM/L were converted to 0,80 €/L). This lasted until end of 2004. And we had a short span (of 2-3 month) in 2016 where the price was just marginally below the 1 €/L.

Finally: Last time price for Diesel was below 1 DM/L was when I learned how to drive in 1986 :blink:.