Intro & Newbie Question

RWB713

Hi guys! So years ago I made an account here and just never got into it.... but then today me and my wife were out just cruising around and found this little cache piece...It reminded me about it all. We talked and I think we may start getting into it a bit as a fun activity. I obviously still have to learn a few of the technicalities of it all, but I'll do some research into it and get things figured out, but for now I do have a quick question, apologies if this is asked all the time, just looking for a quick answer at the moment and the search function was painfully slow. This was the piece we stumbled upon... not really a cache per say...but it had the little paper inside with the geocache website on it, and no one had signed it, but it did have an unknown to me stamp....when I got on here to look into everything and maybe log it, there was no marker in this particular spot, and the cache didn't have a name that I could see...did I find a cache that had been removed or something of the sort?

EEB442-C9-24-F2-4908-AC6-A-3-B52157-E676

CD17-CFB6-C666-4-FCC-B3-A1-56670-B97-F8-

14 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Relatively near, right state & county.... a ways to the SE tho, at the inlet channel to Cutter Reservoir

6 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

Not every geocache shows on the map at the exact coordinates. Some types have bogus coordinates like multi and mystery. Also Premium-only caches doesn't show either.

So how would I even know which one this is? (or if it even really is recorded anywhere?) It has no identifying marks at all on it, that stamp may mean something. but I can't really make out any info on it, but other than that, there's nothing. There are numerous other caches in the area, but again, I have no way of identifying this particular one from anything else.

39 minutes ago, RWB713 said:

Relatively near, right state & county.... a ways to the SE tho, at the inlet channel to Cutter Reservoir

So how would I even know which one this is? (or if it even really is recorded anywhere?) It has no identifying marks at all on it, that stamp may mean something. but I can't really make out any info on it, but other than that, there's nothing. There are numerous other caches in the area, but again, I have no way of identifying this particular one from anything else.

If you go to 99's suggested cache, there's a photo of an interesting feature near the cache placement in the page's Photo Gallery.
Does it match the place where you found that?
It SAYS it's a pill bottle. A little hard to make out in your photo, but maybe!

The log you found has a single sig-stamp on it; that cache has a single find. Lookin' good for Max & 99!

You COULD contact that finder through the Message Center and ask him or her if they use a stamp like that!

THIS is part of the fun of the hobby, BTW.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
7 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

If you go to 99's suggested cache, there's a photo of an interesting feature near the cache placement in the page's Photo Gallery.
Does it match the place where you found that?
It SAYS it's a pill bottle. A little hard to make out in your photo, but maybe!

The log you found has a single sig-stamp on it; that cache has a single find. Lookin' good for Max & 99!

You COULD contact that finder through the Message Center and ask him or her if they use a stamp like that!

THIS is part of the fun of the hobby, BTW.

It's not the one 99 suggested, the pic on that page is a bit different than the location we found it in. 

It's in a very small and clear film type can, not a pill bottle, and maybe 1/2 the height of a 35mm film can

I couldn't tell if that was a "found" stamp, or a stamp from the person who hid it. There are at least 20 caches in the area named "DGP xxxx".... and a couple other named Cap'n Cutters....the stamp is a Jolly Roger with some text around it, but I can't really make out what the text says aside from a couple letters...but perhaps the P in DGP stands for Pirate? or the "Cap'n" sounds like it may be relate as well... It's at least 1/4 mile away from the nearest marked cache on the map.

3 minutes ago, RWB713 said:

It's not the one 99 suggested, the pic on that page is a bit different than the location we found it in. 

It's in a very small and clear film type can, not a pill bottle, and maybe 1/2 the height of a 35mm film can

I couldn't tell if that was a "found" stamp, or a stamp from the person who hid it. There are at least 20 caches in the area named "DGP xxxx".... and a couple other named Cap'n Cutters....the stamp is a Jolly Roger with some text around it, but I can't really make out what the text says aside from a couple letters...but perhaps the P in DGP stands for Pirate? or the "Cap'n" sounds like it may be relate as well... It's at least 1/4 mile away from the nearest marked cache on the map.

Well, take it as far as you're inclined to. I love meaningless mysteries like this.

If you figure out anything, post back here.

...Bill

• Helpful 1
6 hours ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

How can you be sure of that?

I can be 99% sure...

Red arrow is where the cache was, The 1900m line is the top of that canyon wall, all 3 caches to the North are at least a mile away and none fit the description of the cache we found at all. 

The cache closest to the S & SW are the ones I mentioned previously, S doesn't fit the desc at all, SW fits the desc a little bit, but with the way that terrain is, it would've wound up in the water if the elements moved it...critters are the 1% possibility, but all those other caches have multiple finds, and this one had nothing on the log other than the stamp.

I sent a PM to the owner of the "DGP" caches in the area to see if they could confirm it's one of theirs, no reply yet

cache1.jpg

Edited by RWB713
13 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Funny thing about streams....

Any recent DNFs on the ones to the south?

The majority of them were found a 7/6/19, but it's not a high traffic area by the looks of the logs, most before the 2019 find were 2015. Some of the containers were replaced on the 7/6/19 finds. The two closest to the south were DNF on 7/6/19. One was labeled as a film container.

I see where you're going there...but with no identifying marks on the one I found, I have no way of knowing if it was one of the ones that was DNF, or one of the ones that was replaced from 2019. and again, those all had prior finds in 2015, and before but no names were on the log in the cache I found.

Should I just add the cache I found as one of my own? Or what's the "proper" way to go about that? I'll wait a while from a response to my PM from DGP before I do anything.

You can check with your local reviewer and see if you've happened across an as-of-yet unpublished cache.

It's common practice to register them early to check for conflicts and reserve the spot. maybe you've just hit it between the time it was dropped and the time it's going to be published!

If that's the case, then the stamp impression might belong to the CO.

You could sign the paper log, and leave a note for any future finders to send you a msg if anyone figures out what it is.

I would NOT simply claim it as my own, because it isn't; it's SOMEONE's property.

I'd say it might be from another game, but I see in the photo that they've used a Groundspeak pre-printed logroll.

Let us know what that CO says.

1 hour ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

You can check with your local reviewer and see if you've happened across an as-of-yet unpublished cache.

It's common practice to register them early to check for conflicts and reserve the spot. maybe you've just hit it between the time it was dropped and the time it's going to be published!

If that's the case, then the stamp impression might belong to the CO.

You could sign the paper log, and leave a note for any future finders to send you a msg if anyone figures out what it is.

I would NOT simply claim it as my own, because it isn't; it's SOMEONE's property.

I'd say it might be from another game, but I see in the photo that they've used a Groundspeak pre-printed logroll.

Let us know what that CO says.

TeamRabbitRun's idea seems the most likely explanation so far.   Or the stamp might belong to a friend of the CO.

I believe it could be this cache --->https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3X9QQ_usbr-1968

RWB713, it appears that you are a basic member (not paying). That could explain why it was not showing on your map.  

The stamp on the log appears to be that of Sandpig --->https://www.geocaching.com/p/default.aspx?guid=2b7fa955-e60c-48b4-a4b1-cb1313a37b42, due to the resemblance between their profile photo and the stamp. :ph34r:

Edited by TmdAndGG
  • Helpful 1
14 minutes ago, TmdAndGG said:

I believe it could be this cache --->https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3X9QQ_usbr-1968

RWB713, it appears that you are a basic member (not paying). That could explain why it was not showing on your map.  

The stamp on the log appears to be that of Sandpig --->https://www.geocaching.com/p/default.aspx?guid=2b7fa955-e60c-48b4-a4b1-cb1313a37b42, due to the resemblance between their profile photo and the stamp. :ph34r:

Wow! Impressive, TmdAndGG!!

I can't figure out why there's only one stamp on the log, though. Even that person found the cache with someone else.

But fantastic work!

Edited by Max and 99
2 hours ago, TmdAndGG said:

Awesome! That avatar is definitely the stamp. I didn't realize there were premium member only caches, that explains a lot. I of course can't view that cache you linked because of that, but that pretty much ties it all together! Thanks for the help!

10 hours ago, RWB713 said:

Awesome! That avatar is definitely the stamp. I didn't realize there were premium member only caches, that explains a lot. I of course can't view that cache you linked because of that, but that pretty much ties it all together! Thanks for the help!

Oh, that's too much. TmdAndGG - excellent work.

What's funny is that the photo posted in this thread above is almost EXACTLY the photo that appears in the cache page description!

RWB713 - Even though you're a basic member, if you found tht cache and signed the log, you're absolutely entitled to log it online and claim the smiley.

"Premium" status only hides caches from Basic Members; it doesn't exclude them from finding it. If you were WITH a premium member who COULD see the cache on their GPSr or phone, you'd certainly be able to log it. No different here.

This still leaves the mystery of why there is just Sandpig's stamp on the log. There were at least a half dozen finders before him and there is no mention of replacing the log.

If anyone is wondering, as several of the logs do, where that water comes from it is part of the Navajo Irrigation Project.

2 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Oh, that's too much. TmdAndGG - excellent work.

What's funny is that the photo posted in this thread above is almost EXACTLY the photo that appears in the cache page description!

RWB713 - Even though you're a basic member, if you found tht cache and signed the log, you're absolutely entitled to log it online and claim the smiley.

"Premium" status only hides caches from Basic Members; it doesn't exclude them from finding it. If you were WITH a premium member who COULD see the cache on their GPSr or phone, you'd certainly be able to log it. No different here.

We did sign the log,  but I have no way of logging the find without a premium account, since there was no premium member with me. If i attempt to try and log the cache, it just gives me the Upgrade to Premium button on the log page...so it does keep a basic member from logging a find to premium cache, if there was no premium member present.

I can see that the owner of the cache is indeed the User I PM'd about the nearby DGP caches tho.

2 minutes ago, Michaelcycle said:

This still leaves the mystery of why there is just Sandpig's stamp on the log. There were at least a half dozen finders before him and there is no mention of replacing the log.

If anyone is wondering, as several of the logs do, where that water comes from it is part of the Navajo Irrigation Project.

Yeah, seems like somebody replaced the log and didn't say anything I guess? Or maybe there was another log in the cache at some point in time?

Yup, that water runs underground from an outlet at Navajo Reservoir,  into Cutter Reservoir, and feeds the NAPI canal for Tribal agricultural use. 

14 minutes ago, Keystone said:

There are many ways for basic members to log a legitimate find on a PMO cache.  One way is to go to this website, enter the GC Code of the cache, and click the "log" button.  You go directly to the logging page, bypassing the cache page that basic members can't fully see.

Awesome! Thank you for that! Our first find is officially logged!

• Upvote 1