bearing and direction

spacemule

G'day all.  Hope you are surviving your quarantines. 

I have come across a few multi caches that give a bearing and direction to additional stages.  I use an Iphone, and I can not figure out how to plot a point in a map application given a starting point, a bearing, and a distance.  A compass works well for small distances, but for longer ones I have to think their must be a better way.  I have searched online for such a way to plot, but the best I come up with is finding a distance and bearing between two known points. 

What do you do in such a situation?  Do dedicated gps devices have an application for this? 

19 minutes ago, spacemule said:

G'day all.  Hope you are surviving your quarantines. 

I have come across a few multi caches that give a bearing and direction to additional stages.  I use an Iphone, and I can not figure out how to plot a point in a map application given a starting point, a bearing, and a distance.  A compass works well for small distances, but for longer ones I have to think their must be a better way.  I have searched online for such a way to plot, but the best I come up with is finding a distance and bearing between two known points. 

What do you do in such a situation?  Do dedicated gps devices have an application for this? 

This might help.

https://www.geocachingtoolbox.com/index.php?lang=en&page=distanceBearingMidpoint

Oops. Wrong link. But the toolbox can help!

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, spacemule said:

A compass works well for small distances, but for longer ones I have to think their must be a better way.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "small distances". I've found multi-caches that required projections of hundreds of feet by taking compass bearings and pacing distances. But admittedly, I developed those compass-based navigation skills long before I discovered geocaching.

Hmm...  I had a mystery cache.  If you read the first word in each sentence, it said:  Due West One Mile.  Starting point was in NYC.  The final was one mile due west in West New York, New Jersey.  Took three months for the FTF.  And got 21% favorite points!  I did allow a fair distance on the Geochecker.

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Hmm...  I had a mystery cache.  If you read the first word in each sentence, it said:  Due West One Mile.  Starting point was in NYC.  The final was one mile due west in West New York, New Jersey.  Took three months for the FTF.  And got 21% favorite points!  I did allow a fair distance on the Geochecker.

That sounds like a cache that would drive me insane.  heh.  Is it still up?  Got a cache number?  I would love to make something similar. 

13 minutes ago, spacemule said:

That sounds like a cache that would drive me insane.  heh.  Is it still up?  Got a cache number?  I would love to make something similar. 

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC1XY9H_upper-west-side-new-york-perch

Archived when my partner died.  The cache name was a puzzle of a sort.  It was perched on the upper side of West New York.

• Upvote 1

I have a couple of puzzle caches that use Ed Williams Javascript great circle calculator (google it). It will give you the distance and azimuth between 2 sets of coordinates and it will give coordinates projected from a known set of coordinates at a specified azimuth.  (feet, meters, statute miles and nautical miles).

I used it this morning for something unrelated to geocaching so it still works.

20 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Ahhh, but does anyone know how to use the Official GS Phone App to do real-time, on-scene projections in the field when the instructions in the multi's stage just says "Go East for 750 yards!"?

In any app, walk approximately east until the app says your previous destination is exactly 750 yards away, exactly to the west.  Iterate until you find the spot.

The more full-featured caching apps have a projection function built-in; that's another way of course.

57 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

In any app, walk approximately east until the app says your previous destination is exactly 750 yards away, exactly to the west.  Iterate until you find the spot.

The more full-featured caching apps have a projection function built-in; that's another way of course.

Yes, that's right.

In the official map, it's easy if you switch to the COMPASS display when you're in SEEK (START) mode.