Jump to content

Embed a You Tube link


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

Does GS allow links to commercial sites in the cache listing?

From the guidelines:

 

No commercial content

Cache pages perceived as commercial will not be published. Commercial content includes any of the following characteristics [...]

  • Name, links, or logos of the following
    • Businesses
    • Commercial products
    • Competing games or cache listing services
Link to post
9 hours ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

Does GS allow links to commercial sites in the cache listing?

 

Sure, you can link to a photo you put on another image-hosting site, so what's different here?

The prohibition is on commercial content.

EVERY website, except for your own, is a 'commercial website', run by SOME company.

If you had to log in to youtube, I could see a problem, but just a link shouldn't in itself be a guideline violation.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
Link to post
On 3/31/2020 at 8:49 AM, TeamRabbitRun said:

And, why would you want to do that?

Consider ALL the different types of players you're writing for and ALL the different types of access and connections they'l use.

 

Because I don't want to limit the overall caching experience. Sometimes the Web Page for the cache, especially with puzzles, can be the best part of the experience and that's OK. Other times, it's a fun unique hide in a beautiful spot that takes you of the beaten path. Hopefully you get both! Hiding a cache is an opportunity to be creative and design a fun experience.  Why limit yourself to something that would be only fully view-able on a GPSR? 

Link to post
2 minutes ago, Goodgulf said:

 

Because I don't want to limit the overall caching experience. Sometimes the Web Page for the cache, especially with puzzles, can be the best part of the experience and that's OK. Other times, it's a fun unique hide in a beautiful spot that takes you of the beaten path. Hopefully you get both! Hiding a cache is an opportunity to be creative and design a fun experience.  Why limit yourself to something that would be only fully view-able on a GPSR? 

 

Because I write my pages to be seen and easily used by the broadest number of people, not just for 'coolness'.

Of course there are compromises. I put more than just plain text on my pages, so some things may not be seen by people with text-based GPSrs, but it's a reasonable compromise. People who GPSr-cache do so with the understanding of the limitations of their devices.

 

People with data plans or slow connections in the field do not. Even if your connection is good, why make people wait for a video?

 

For myself, I wouldn't use anything animated or excessively resource-hungry like a video. if that means I don't make the cache page as elaborate as possible, the (for me) so be it. 

  • Helpful 1
Link to post
On 4/1/2020 at 12:10 PM, TeamRabbitRun said:

 

Sure, you can link to a photo you put on another image-hosting site, so what's different here?

The prohibition is on commercial content.

EVERY website, except for your own, is a 'commercial website', run by SOME company.

 

 

Not quite true.   Lot's of people have personal web sites that are not commercial.   I've been developing web applications for the past 23 years at a University.  Is that a company?  

If someone isn't sure whether a website would be perceived as commercial, asking a reviewer would solve that issue.

  • Helpful 1
Link to post
58 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

 

Not quite true.   Lot's of people have personal web sites that are not commercial.   I've been developing web applications for the past 23 years at a University.  Is that a company?  

If someone isn't sure whether a website would be perceived as commercial, asking a reviewer would solve that issue.

 

Well, you're nit-picking through my point, which was that just because you place your photo on a commercial photo-hosting website and refer to it, that doesn't in itself violate the guideline.

 

And, I DID say "except for your own".

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...