Non-outdoor geocache type (Covid-19)

Zubulus

Hello!

I had an idea in this exceptional time of confinement. I know that geocaching is an outdoor hobby but, exceptionally, could we not create a new type of geocache that we could search and find without going out? As soon as you find it, you have to sign a logbook which is "virtual"! It could be a type of temporary cache which represents an ephemeral event like APE type caches for example; with its own icon (a virus?). I'm going to call it the "Covid-19" cache type for simplification and understanding until someone find a permanent name.

Many things are stopped or no longer work, but the geocaching site works very well. We could continue to log caches (for example type = Covid-19) and feed our statistics (which are important for many geocachers).

There could be several ways to “find” a cache of this type, such as virtually visiting the Louvre Museum to find the cache with given clues, for example. When the cache is found, the log book is unlocked and you can sign it ... virtually!

Here, it is a suggestion.

Regards

• Funny 1
8 minutes ago, Zubulus said:

Hello!

I had an idea in this exceptional time of confinement. I know that geocaching is an outdoor hobby but, exceptionally, could we not create a new type of geocache that we could search and find without going out? As soon as you find it, you have to sign a logbook which is "virtual"! It could be a type of temporary cache which represents an ephemeral event like APE type caches for example; with its own icon (a virus?). I'm going to call it the "Covid-19" cache type for simplification and understanding until someone find a permanent name.

Many things are stopped or no longer work, but the geocaching site works very well. We could continue to log caches (for example type = Covid-19) and feed our statistics (which are important for many geocachers).

There could be several ways to “find” a cache of this type, such as virtually visiting the Louvre Museum to find the cache with given clues, for example. When the cache is found, the log book is unlocked and you can sign it ... virtually!

Regards

This would not be geocaching. It would be an online scavenger hunt. Covid has messed up some geocachers' stats and streaks. They will just have to deal with it. 

• Upvote 7
9 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Covid has messed up some geocachers' stats and streaks. They will just have to deal with it. 

COVID19 has messed up a whole lot more than just geocachng stats.

While some things are changing and adjusting to the "new normal" - (video conferencing/ZOOM/virtual meetings, remote schooling. etc) I don't believe geocaching should be one of the things that changes.  For now, in my area, I can still go find geocaches, and hide them and they will be published.  That may well change over the next week(s) and month(s).  And if it does, then geocaching is just one thing I will have to not do for awhile.  I can still work on solving puzzles, creating caches, creating puzzles, and look forward to the day when I can get back out and do some hiking and FINDING again!

• Upvote 4
30 minutes ago, Zubulus said:

! had an idea in this exceptional time of confinement. I know that geocaching is an outdoor hobby but, exceptionally, could we not create a new type of geocache that we could search and find without going out? As soon as you find it, you have to sign a logbook which is "virtual"! It could be a type of temporary cache which represents an ephemeral event like APE type caches for example; with its own icon (a virus?). I'm going to call it the "Covid-19" cache type for simplification and understanding until someone find a permanent name.

No.  

But it looks like you created a game that's similar to at least two others thathe other 2/3rds has played at one time...   :)

1 hour ago, Zubulus said:

Hello!

Regards

Ive thought of that too. Id like it.

7 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

With more than 6000 cases in California you can still publish caches???????

Isn't that dangerous to spread it even more?

Go in small groups (or solo) to comply with social distancing requirements and wash your hands.  I actually see very little danger of geocaching increasing community spread, and there are tremendous physical and mental health benefits to getting outside and into the sunshine.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

Hello!

Regards

I remember something like that on Second Life. I found a few geocaches there. It was virtually like geocaching, you had to search for the geocache. When found it could be added to an inventory.  There's an old youtube video that will give you some idea: www youtube com/watch?v=sGhB1zobnHs

Edited by L0ne.R

We could continue to log caches (for example type = Covid-19) and feed our statistics (which are important for many geocachers).

I made the important part of the first post bold.

I have to admit that there is something that I like about this post more than all the other ones about virtual events and so on. It is honest. Finally someone admits that it is all about statistics.

It doesn't change my opinion - no, there is no need for something like that in geocaching - but I really appreciate the honestness.

• Upvote 5
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

You think publishing a new cache is more dangerous than the NINETEEN FINDS you posted today? I'm assuming those were real finds, I didn't actually read the logs.

Anyway, I went out (In California) today and walked some nice trails and found a few caches. Although major parking areas and larger parks are closed, I found offstreet parking near trailheads and easily avoided coming within 6 feet of the others who were out exercising. I believe responsible geocaching promotes good physical health rather than detracts from it.

• Upvote 3
5 hours ago, Zubulus said:

... such as virtually visiting the Louvre Museum to find the cache with given clues, for example...

Hello Zubulus,

if you want to realize a virtual Museum puzzle,´or an other puzzle, with the posibilties you have already, you can create this and the aim is, to discover a coin.

Until it isn't posibble to publish a cache, you can publish the puzzle at your profile. In my profile for example, you can discover two coins, one in combination with a virtual museum.

Greetings Johannis10

Edited by Johannis10
3 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

At this point in time, my county has 34 confirmed cases and 0 deaths due to COVID19.  I'm taking "normal" precautions, washing hands, using sanitizer, as I usually dowhen geocaching anyway.  Those caches that are being published are being found, every day or two, and if I do go out to find them, I'll sanitize before and after handling them.  Getting out and walking to them is a welcome break, exercise, and sunshine on my face feels just plain good!  One local cacher has put out a series called NBTD Day 1, Day 2, etc and he's up to Day 12 so far.  I haven't found any of them yet as they are in the next town over from me, but others nearby have found them.  (Nothing Better To Do series.)

We still are making trips to the grocery store as needed, visiting our daughters and sons in the area when we are out, and not going to the next town over to find caches.  Our finding has slowed considerably, but as long as we are allowed to create and place new caches, we will do so.  People can choose to go for them now or later, as local rules and their conscience dictates.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, hukilaulau said:

You think publishing a new cache is more dangerous than the NINETEEN FINDS you posted today? I'm assuming those were real finds, I didn't actually read the logs.

Hum I was alone bushwalking in the woods and most of them weren't found this year so I don't understand your point.

My issue with new caches is multiple people will come the same day and some of them won't even be local people.

• Upvote 1
57 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

My issue with new caches is multiple people will come the same day and some of them won't even be local people.

That hasn't seemed to be the case in this area....it's locals claiming the FTF, usually one person, then maybe a couple of finds over days.  Seems we are managing to distance ourselves.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

Actually 5763 is the official tally from the California Department of Public Health (I'll dispense with the dramatic 7 question marks).

1 hour ago, Lynx Humble said:

Hum I was alone bushwalking in the woods and most of them weren't found this year so I don't understand your point.

Sounds like you have a lot of fear and uncertainty regarding our current pandemic.  When I'm faced with a new situation like we have now, I tend to look for online resources that can give me reliable information.  I found this really great website full of useful easy to understand guidance that you might find helpful and help allay your fears:

https://www.halifax.ca/fire-police/fire/emergency-management/corona-virus-disease-covid-19

Keep in mind, we are in a very dynamic situation right now.  Information is constantly being updated as scientists and medical professionals continue to learn and apply best practices.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
28 minutes ago, Touchstone said:

Sounds like you have a lot of fear and uncertainty regarding our current pandemic.  When I'm faced with a new situation like we have now, I tend to look for online resources that can give me reliable information.  I found this really great website full of useful easy to understand guidance that you might find helpful and help allay your fears:

https://www.halifax.ca/fire-police/fire/emergency-management/corona-virus-disease-covid-19

Keep in mind, we are in a very dynamic situation right now.  Information is constantly being updated as scientists and medical professionals continue to learn and apply best practices.

If I really feared the pandemic I would have stopped geocaching 2 weeks ago when the first case arrived here. I am in my 30s so I have around 99.9% survival rates.

All our cases here (127) except 1 are related to people that have traveled outside the province.

It's more the fact that geocacher love to travel for FTF and a lot of them are older that is concerning for me because the virus can survive a few hours/days on a geocache.

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

I am in my 30s so I have around 99.9% survival rates.

But wouldn't be better not to get the virus in the first place.  That's a fundamental problem with statistics.  They don't address YOUR chances of survival.  Case in point is a youngish State Representative (not California) got infected.  Waited and waited and waited, until it became an acute and life threatening issue and an ambulance was summoned to finally take him to the hospital.  He died within about 6 hours.  Seemingly fit guy who had few risk factors other than apparent denial.   Don't rely on statistics for your safety.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, Touchstone said:

But wouldn't be better not to get the virus in the first place.

I don’t think it’s realistic to assume you’ll be able to avoid Covid-19 indefinitely.  It just passes from person to person too easily, and, without a vaccine, there’s nothing much to stop it.

The lockdown actions we’re seeing now are all about slowing down the spread, so as not to overwhelm the healthcare system.  We’re not going to wipe it out.

(I read one interesting analysis that referred to ’the hammer and the dance’.  We’re in the hammer phase.  Next comes the dance: trying to keep infection rates under control as our lives go back to close to normal.)

For the moment though, when front-line medical staff, putting their lives on the line, day in day out, are pleading with me to stay at home, I will.  Not just because of the science, but out of respect.

• Helpful 1
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

I am in my 30s so I have around 99.9% survival rates.

I am in my 30s, too, relatively healthy, non-smoker..... I might die from Corona (0.01 % or something like that) but the chance of dying in traffic or doing a T5 cache is much higher so I don't fear for myself.

But if I get the virus I might infect other persons, older persons, my dad perhaps, my elderly neighbours... and they might not be so safe as I am (probably).

Don't get me wrong, I would like to find some caches after a long pause now (which will be a little longer I suppose). And I can fully understand you. But I do not like your argument about you being safe - don't be too egoistic and start thinking of others, too. Do something if you believe it is safe but don't do something just because it is safe for you if it's not for others.

We have to be strong together now.

• Upvote 3