Touchless caching?

With the restrictions in place (because of Covid-19), I'm still allowed to go out walking, which to me says I can grab a cache or two as I get some exercise.

I have been concerned with the safety of touching something that everyone else is touching. The caches around here are still being found at a high enough rate so any virus likely does not have time to die.

I really need caching for my mental health though. It is a huge help for me in stressful times.

I've been considering the possibility of "touchless caching". That is where I take a picture of the cache and send it to the cache owner privately (so others can't see it).

I know the rules say I have to sign it, but it is a time when so many rules need to be adjusted for the unexpected current conditions we're all living under.

Would you accept this at this time?

• Upvote 1
30 minutes ago, Sol seaker said:

I've been considering the possibility of "touchless caching". That is where I take a picture of the cache and send it to the cache owner privately (so others can't see it).

I know the rules say I have to sign it, but it is a time when so many rules need to be adjusted for the unexpected current conditions we're all living under.

Sounds like a good way to get your cache locked...

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, niraD said:

Sounds like a good way to get your cache locked...

It was armchair logging it's not the same thing.

To the OP :

The guidelines says no but I knows COs that will accept photo-log in these exceptional times. It would be better to write them before going out.

38 minutes ago, Sol seaker said:

I really need caching for my mental health though. It is a huge help for me in stressful times.

Understand, go caching if it helps you, but if you are afraid touching the cache container, why not just move on to the next one and so on. 

So you are caching, the only difference will be, at the end of the day you won't be able to log your finds and get some points.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Sol seaker said:

the unexpected current conditions we're all living under.

Something changed? B)

Soggy_geocache,_logbook_in.jpg

Mine aren't that bad, but they may have at least some mold, hantavirus, various potentially harmful chemicals and germs all over the contents and all over the container.  "Coronavirus" is nothing compared to what you've handled without a thought.  Those conditions aren't new.  Plus there are many hazards along the way.  It's the world.  Are you licking your fingers or something?

I haven't deleted logs even after some pretty disheartening "I didn't find it Gimme Smilie" Found Log stories.  But I will be pounding my head on the wall a lot more often if I get a lotta "I ain't touching icky germ caches!" Found logs.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 3
  • Funny 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Sol seaker said:

Personally, no.  Not to belittle the problem, but with the proper PPE's, this shouldn't be any bigger issue than going to the produce aisle at the store and picking up fruits and vegatables that possibly dozen of other people have touched, or handling the gas pump handle at the station that 20-30 people have touched before you.  This is not a unique situation to geocaching.  We must all take additional precautions in our daily routine these days.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3
41 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Perhaps liberal use of hand sanitiser before and after handling the cache might be a solution. Assuming, of course, that you can still actually buy the stuff where you are.

Soap and water.  People bought several lifetime supplies of "Hand Sanitizer", it's gone, and I'm down to a handful of towelettes.

But you can't use the sink in the park restroom.  The restrooms are "closed until further notice". 

So it's liquid soap and a bottle of water.  Last week I had both hands covered with caked-on green swamp mud, then had to wash them like a hobo, using a water bottle.  Thanks, county commissioner and various "authorities", I feel much safer now!  You guys ROCK.  :rolleyes:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Soap and water.  People bought several lifetime supplies of "Hand Sanitizer", it's gone

I have plenty of hand sanitiser at present, as I like to have spare supplies and had them before the crisis. Same with toilet paper (and then there is newspaper :lol:) and I grow much of my own food. I Have not bought any hand sanitiser since the crisis started as I didn't need to. I do though have the ingredients to make my own if need be, but I won't do this unless I am running out, as I imagine it will reappear in the shops before long. Several local breweries have switched to making alcohol for hand sanitiser and after they have up scaled more and have produced enough for the hospitals and other medical uses (it's all going to there at present), some will begin appearing in the shops I'm sure.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

I have plenty of hand sanitiser

This would be the perfect thread for the pen losers to chime in on.  You know the ones who Forgot Their Pen and wax eloquent about how they always use any fluid or excretion from their own body as "ink" to sign the log.  If it was a great idea then, it's a great idea now. :anicute:

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 3
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

This would be the perfect thread for the pen losers to chime in on.  You know the ones who Forgot Their Pen and wax eloquent about how they always use any fluid or excretion from their own body as "ink" to sign the log.  If it was a great idea then, it's a great idea now. :anicute:

Not checking my caches at present, unless told of a problem. And then I will think about it. (However, I will check signatures after this is over :bad:.)

13 hours ago, Sol seaker said:

With the restrictions in place (because of Covid-19), I'm still allowed to go out walking, which to me says I can grab a cache or two as I get some exercise.

I have been concerned with the safety of touching something that everyone else is touching. The caches around here are still being found at a high enough rate so any virus likely does not have time to die.

No, I'd not accept routine signature-less logging on my caches.

Almost every cache I've ever found,   (apart from the 'clever camo, in full view' ones) and all those I've placed, was hidden, i.e. covered by vegetation, stones, leaves , wood, bark or whatever, or tucked away somewhere out of sight. . In order to uncover the cache, you'd need to remove that camo, pull the container out from it's hidey hole , move it from behind the fence post ,  tree etc etc. in order to get a clearly identifiable photograph of it .Which would mean touching it .

You'd also have to touch it to put it safely back as found.

So opening the container to sign the log as per the rules of the game is not going to add to the danger.

• Helpful 1

Adding a random thought : obviously virtuals and earth caches are touch free finds, but I doubt there are many cachers with any unfound and close enough to home to justify traveling to them.

It seems clear is that geocaching is going to take a huge dive in numbers for months (not the greatest problem humanity is facing, I know, but that's what this forum is about) Travel , even of short distances by European standards, is probably going to be off the menu until August at the earliest.

I wonder if maybe Groundspeak will consider a further release of virtual caches in those areas where total lockdowns are not yet in place ? Local virtuals for local people (sorry, if you don't know about  Royston Vasey  you won't know why typing that made me smile ... )

Royston Vasey virtuals : local (virtual) caches for local people ... set within 8k /5miles of CO's registered home location, and only visible & able  to be logged by cachers whose home location is within the same radius . All active for a month, then auto archived , and another set published . Yes, I know, almost certainly an impossible thing for Groundspeak to set up , but it gives me a great idea for a way to enliven my local caching friends' daily exercise walks , even if I'll be using an entirely different platform to do it ...

50 minutes ago, hal-an-tow said:

it gives me a great idea for a way to enliven my local caching friends' daily exercise walks , even if I'll be using an entirely different platform to do it ...

People can hunt all available caches, not just "Virtuals". The premise is that times are crazy so now we all adapt to the new way.  So why can't the Finders adapt?  There's a system in place since Geocaching began, where you can make a Note log for any reason, such as you seeing the container and taking a picture of it.  The "posting a picture of a container" part is best for another thread.

Anyway, find a cache make a note log.  There's no danger of that being deleted.  And even if it gets deleted, you can make a list of these in many other ways.

And cache containers have become no more dangerous than they've always been.  There are many hazards outdoors.  If you have a lowered immune system or whatever, it's not up to the CO to accommodate you anyway.  Conduct your life as your doctor has advised.  If "Coronavirus all over the cache" is a problem for you, everything else on and around caches is of great concern.  You may not even be allowed to go there now, but if you are, make sensible choices as you always have while playing outdoors.  Also be aware that people are being arrested by The State for crimes of driving places or being in public, which were not crimes for the past 250 years in the USA.  Germs are nothing compared to what can happen next if that isn't overturned.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 5
18 hours ago, Sol seaker said:

I have been concerned with the safety of touching something that everyone else is touching.

The caches around here are still being found at a high enough rate so any virus likely does not have time to die.

Curious, did the fact that previous people may have had TB, any "letter" of  hepatitis, MRSA,  "the flu",  SARS, norovirus,  rhinovirus,  pink eye,  pneumonia, pertussis,  or any of the venereal diseases out there, including HIV/aids ever come to mind the past 10+ years?     ;)

Hantavirus is 50/50 wherever mice are present.  Cache in the woods ?   Never saw a moldy container ?

I'd say if this is such an issue now,  guess I don't understand why...

We always assume that there's crud somewhere.     :)

After signing the log,  we decide if it warrants us washing (we carry soap and towelettes), or a squirt of sanitizer.

If you're simply looking for a walk, it'd be a good time to locate the caches that have been hard to find (DNFs?), and later returning to sign that log.

I'm just taking short walks now,  but hiked years before this hobby.  When I'm healthier, I'm going caching, and will sign all logs.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
5 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

If you're simply looking for a walk, it'd be a good time to locate the caches that have been hard to find (DNFs?), and later returning to sign that log.

I'm just taking short walks now,  but hiked years before this hobby.  When I'm healthier, I'm going caching, and will sign all logs.

Agreed.  If you want to go out and search for geocaches and are worried about touching geocaches, go out and find them now, come back later when you feel more comfortable handling the container sign the log and log it as found.

You can can still get the exercise, have the experience of "locating" caches, but just won't get credit for the find until later.  

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Curious, did the fact that previous people may have had TB, any "letter" of  hepatitis, MRSA,  "the flu",  SARS, norovirus,  rhinovirus,  pink eye,  pneumonia, pertussis,  or any of the venereal diseases out there, including HIV/aids ever come to mind the past 10+ years?     ;)

Hantavirus is 50/50 wherever mice are present.  Cache in the woods ?   Never saw a moldy container ?

After signing the log,  we decide if it warrants us washing (we carry soap and towelettes), or a squirt of sanitizer.

My thoughts exactly.  You are no more likely to catch COVID-19 from touching a cache than any other of a myriad of diseases.  Just wash your hands.  It’s not rocket science.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 3/29/2020 at 7:49 PM, Lynx Humble said:

The guidelines says no but I knows COs that will accept photo-log in these exceptional times. It would be better to write them before going out.

Several of my caches are not evident until you touch other items, such as camo, covers or combination locks.  Asking the CO in advance is good, because I may not have info on exactly how my cache is covered, in the cache description.  I would hope that people could limit the "touchless caching" to at least having seen the container, although even that is more like a Virtual Cache than finding and signing the log.  But it's a slippery slope, as these threads seem to be removing the touchlessness all the way into the armchair already.

But if the premise is the pestilence, maybe there's something more important to do (or avoid) instead of caching.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

A couple of thoughts here.  Obviously, if your local government prohibits going out of your home to do this hobby, best to follow those rules.

1) For you as a geocacher, if it is about the numbers, and you have to sign a log to get the experience, well, God Bless You, and maybe you should consider just hiking (walking), and pick up this crazy GeoCaching hobby when this current pandemic is not longer an issue.

2) Our team focuses on long hikes due to our own preferences, and our Geo-Hound needs.  There are quite a few hiking caches in our area (perhaps we are lucky) that haven't been found for long enough that the virus issue is a non-possibility (not found for months... long before this current issue).  Seek them out, enjoy the hike!

3) Previous posters have noted the historically yucky (technical term) nature of logs and containers that hang out in the outdoors in moist environment.  Tactical sanitation has kept this from being a problem in the past (think flu cycles, etc), so continue to be aware and employing proper sanitation protocols if you have the need to find and log caches that are popular enough to have been found in the Covid-19 timeframe in your area.

It's just a game, folks.  If you are concerned about exposure to this particular virus, put Geocaching on hold.

Stay safe.

Clancy's Crew

• Helpful 2
  • Love 1
On 3/29/2020 at 7:10 PM, Sol seaker said:

Since the majority of your finds are in Washington state, I'll jump to the logical conclusion (which i'll get called out for) that you live there.

Your governor has stated..."Gov. Jay Inslee last week ordered all Washington state residents to avoid leaving their homes until April 8. Under the directive, activities such as grocery shopping, reporting for work at an essential job, or taking a walk around one's neighborhood are still permitted."

So I guess getting a cache "in your neighborhood" is ok. I would have thought you had those but "not everyone caches the same" 

No.

You want to cache? Afraid on germs? Wear gloves, Wash your hands, put on your N95 mask, take hand sanitizer, put on a haz-mat suit if it makes you feel safer, take a pen or pencil and sign the log. You know the precautions by now. 

Or dont do it.

Hundreds of millions need all sorts of things for their mental health right now that we cant get.  We're all in a global emergency with you.

Thanks for your questions. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1
On 3/30/2020 at 11:14 AM, cerberus1 said:

The chances of getting any venereal diseases off of caches, is pretty dang impossible. I assume by your post you either have no idea of how diseases are passed between people or this is tongue in cheek. I prefer to assume the latter.

Yes, my area is long out of hand sanitizer. I've got a little and use it when I'm out.

To clear up your understanding, although perhaps by the time I respond you'll have learned more about this, it's true this thing is passing around the world like a wave, which not only includes the virus itself, but the information about the virus itself. This is super highly contagious. This kills people. People who don't die often get permanent lung damage and or pass it to someone who dies. If you get it in the severe form you may be in the hospital on a ventilator for 17 - 28 days. with no contact with your family or anyone but doctors, who will also be avoiding you as much as possible. 

All those diseases you mention are not super contagious. You can't get VD from a cache. You can't get AIDs, etc. from a cache, I mean really, where do you put those things when you find them?  No, don't tell me.

I won't get sick off of mold. It's gross, but it's not going to kill me.

Once this thing hits your area harder you will understand better. That understanding is also going like a wave around the planet. Here in Washington we were pretty glib about it a while ago. None of us were afraid. We went about life as usual. Then people started dropping. Then we started seeing for ourselves how contagious is really is. We started seeing hospitals set up tents outside to care for the sick. I've never seen that before. We started hearing stories from nurses on the front lines. This is not your standard flu. If you get it bad, it's really bad.

Most of us will get it at some time, the thing is getting it when there are enough hospital beds available, so we're "flattening the curve". You'll hear about it more in your area when it hits, if you haven't already.

So really I did get it already, more than likely. I was really sick with all the symptoms. I made it. Now really need to exercise. The local authority say it's okay to go for a walk and I desperately need that. I'd like to cache at the same time. No I don't have to, but that's fun for me. With everything else in my life temporarily gone, it's important to get some fun when and where I can.

So I've been concerned not only with getting this if I didn't have it, but also giving it to others if I do. I called the health department and they think I'm not contagious anymore if I did have it. I've waited a lot longer to be sure. But to be extra protection, I don't want to touch caches. 

I managed to find one the other day with a stick, so I don't have to touch it to find it always. Sometimes yes, but not always.

Anyway, I'm trying to protect myself and everyone else. I think this is an important discussion to have. Keep an eye on the news and what your local authorities are saying in your area and you'll get a better idea of why I'm concerned. You should be glad I'm concerned for you too.

Here in WA we were hit first, so we're ahead of the curve nation wide. We all started out not caring. Then getting a little cautious, then a little more concerned, and worked our way up from there. I'm seeing this being a wave too. So maybe this is a better discussion for when the wave has traveled a little farther here in the US.

Anyway, I think the main thing is to keep caring about each other and how our own actions impact others. that's what's most important and the main take-away here.

What that means to each person differs, but one thing I learned early in this illness is I have to respect others level of concern and protection. At first we all wanted to laugh at people wearing masks in the streets. Then we talked about respecting people doing what they needed to be comfortable. I got used to not only not judging those who were wearing masks, but also not judging for their crazy colored hair or bad taste in awful clothes or whatever. It taught me that.

Now we're all looking for masks to wear in the streets. Things change. That's another good reason not to put someone down for what they're doing. It may be what you're doing next. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

You make your mind up , within the constraint of local laws , what you feel is safe for you to do. That's what rational adults do.

It is up to us to understand how the virus is passed between people, and there is too much hysterical mis information bandied about , filtered through dubious sources who want to attract views by coming up with sensationalist  headlines, social media posts etc etc.

So, here's a simplified version of the W.H.O. information

1) The covid19 virus is carried by, and passed between,  humans.

2) it lives in the lungs and respiratory (breathing) tract .

3) If you have the virus, it is breathed out,  and also explosively expelled in droplets when you cough or sneeze. The droplets are too heavy to just hang in the air, and soon fall.

4) After being coughed out,  live virus in those droplets can live on smooth surfaces for a while, (I linked elsewhere to a verifiable scientific experiment using this specific virus which gave it a 'half life' of 6-8 hours on metal and plastic. ) no science suggests it stays viable outside a human host for longer than 'a few days' .

5) You do not catch this virus through your skin.

6) The virus gets into your respiratory tract by being breathed in, or using the damp areas which are the protection at your body's borders between that tract and the air.

Those places are your mouth, nose, and eyes (the eyes are not part of your breathing system, but their tear system is linked to the nose, as anyone who has been punched on the nose will tell  you ... "I'm not crying, honest, I'm tough, it's just that my eyes are watering !"

So,

7) in order for the virus to get in those damp places and head in to do its worst, you either

a) come into close contact with someone who has the virus , and you happen to breathe in the virus from in the air they breathe out. This is the reason we are told to keep a 2m/6' distance from other people.

or

b) you come within range of virus carrying droplets just after someone sneezes of coughs, and you breathe them in

or

c) YOU TOUCH YOUR OWN NOSE, MOUTH OR EYES after touching a surface which has been coughed on , (or touched by someone else who has recently touched something with virus on it and who themselves failed to wash their hands. ) So you touch the elevator keypad , door handle, shopping cart , whatever has the virus on it , then you transfer it to those damp , virus friendly, breathing system places.

Touching a surface with the virus on will not infect you with the virus unless you transfer it to nose eyes or mouth by touching your face before you kill the virus by washing your hands.

The covid19 virus has an outer layer which is destroyed by soap or alcohol.

Please people, don't allow worry, panic and 'information' from clickbait exaggerations to overcome rational thought and sensible actions.

And don't spread worry, panic or disinformation either.

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 2
17 hours ago, Sol seaker said:

What that means to each person differs, but one thing I learned early in this illness is I have to respect others level of concern and protection.

True.   But however you care to spin it,  this hobby has certain basics that need to be accomplished to "get a smiley".  One is to sign the log.

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 4

Four options I see here 

1) Virtual Caches

2) Earth Caches

3) Go check out Waymarking

4) and Benchmarks.

I mostly agree upon the logging requirement to touch a log, though I will take a picture as proof in conditions where I do not have a pen, or the log is unsignable.

Hey cool! Now I can go to difficult climbing caches, spot them from below and log them as found!

Honestly though: what others have said. Find virtual caches of various kinds, Waymarking, benchmarking is a thing in the US, just go on a hike and enjoy yourself.

• Upvote 2
19 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

True.   But however you care to spin it,  this hobby has certain basics that need to be accomplished to "get a smiley".  One is to sign the log.

The number of new cases of covid-19 are surpassing the population of medium size cities.  Every day.

Even if someone isn't getting sick themselves it has current and long term impacts on pretty much everyone.   

Businesses (small and large) are failing and will fail.  The global economy is being impacted, perhaps permanently.  

We are confined to our houses, maybe for months.

Every child in a school or students in a university have had their education impacted.

My niece was planning on graduating from George Washington University this year.  Cancelled.

My son had a 3 week long Spanish immersion program in Costa Rica after his spring semester cancelled.

One of bests friends daughters had planned on getting married in June with a large wedding.  Cancelled (she got married last weekend with just her family in attendance).

Over 48 thousand people have died.

But don't touch our sacred hobby.  Sign the log. It's that important.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, MNTA said:

Four options I see here 

1) Virtual Caches

2) Earth Caches

3) Go check out Waymarking

4) and Benchmarks.

I mostly agree upon the logging requirement to touch a log, though I will take a picture as proof in conditions where I do not have a pen, or the log is unsignable.

You're forgetting to mention Adventure Labs . . .

• Upvote 1
On 3/30/2020 at 3:22 PM, RobinsonClan56 said:

My thoughts exactly.  You are no more likely to catch COVID-19 from touching a cache than any other of a myriad of diseases.  Just wash your hands.  It’s not rocket science.

I have never worried about getting my hands dirty, sliming up my hands with a moldy cache, or diving into the muck. I'm still not that worried for myself but i sure as heck don't want to take the smallest of chances on spreading something like C19 to another person. You guys do know that new information shows that the virus can live on some surfaces for hours, some for days, right?

This is not an issue for a lot of caches but common sense should tell us that it could be an issue with a more popular cache. Of course we know there are all kinds of dangers out there but why on earth would we want to take even the slightest chance of spreading something that affects so many people? Sure I know the odds are low but there's still that slight chance a popular cache might help with the spread. I have two "rest area" caches that sometimes get found multiple times a day so it just made sense for me to disable them until this mess goes away. 

I've always advocated that signing the log was part of our hobby. For now though, I'd accept an image as proof on my other still enabled but rarely found caches, ;)

3 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

The number of new cases of covid-19 are surpassing the population of medium size cities.  Every day.

Even if someone isn't getting sick themselves it has current and long term impacts on pretty much everyone.   

Businesses (small and large) are failing and will fail.  The global economy is being impacted, perhaps permanently.  

We are confined to our houses, maybe for months.

Every child in a school or students in a university have had their education impacted.

My niece was planning on graduating from George Washington University this year.  Cancelled.

My son had a 3 week long Spanish immersion program in Costa Rica after his spring semester cancelled.

One of bests friends daughters had planned on getting married in June with a large wedding.  Cancelled (she got married last weekend with just her family in attendance).

Over 48 thousand people have died.

But don't touch our sacred hobby.  Sign the log. It's that important.

Not sure where you're going with this...

My reply was for someone who wants to go geocaching, yet feels they don't want  to abide by basics of the hobby to do it.

Their best option, if they aren't going to "play" as intended, is simply go for a walk.   :)

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
On 3/29/2020 at 6:10 PM, Sol seaker said:

I wouldn't accept a "I see the container, but didn't sign it" log as a Find. This game has only a couple 'rules' and one of them is to sign the log.

As to the real concern, I would be more worried about touching things at the grocery store than a geocache container. More people have visited that store in the day before you were there than had visited that geocache location in the prior week.

Go out and locate the cache and log a Write Note. Go back another time when the crisis is abated and sign the log for your Find.

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/9/2020 at 6:06 PM, Max and 99 said:

I'm amazed how many cachers think this is ok, and even before the pandemic.

Me too.  Just had one mention it near me.  Won't go for a walk without being "rewarded",  yet doesn't want to "touch things...".. 

- We introduced them to the hobby too...

I can see the thinking with "numbers" folks, or those coming late to the hobby, who may feel a "game" now needs a temp change in rules.

It's frustrating for us because we hike ( hiked since I was a youngster, when the Dead Sea was just sick),  and as long as I can remember the "reward" for the trip is the view or unique area.   :)

Luckily most of the newer hides placed are in those areas again, and some not too far away.  Haven't had a decent walk locally in some time. 

Folks are getting away from cache-n-dash hides simply because they can't place any in those spots. 

Maybe this virus isn't as bad for the hobby as I thought...    ;)

• Helpful 1