Home Location on map is wrong on PC

Kuledoode

2 hours ago, Kuledoode said:

Using the website map on my Windows 10 PC, my home location shows me approximately 1 kilometre from where I am. My profile has my exact address. The app on my Android phone works fine. Any fix for this?

Are you using the "home" button on the map to go to your location?

image.png.6d025bcf09a0c7dc004d8f29effd3a3a.png

This doesn't use the home location in your profile, instead it uses the browser's location services to try to determine where you are. For a phone, that's usually pretty accurate as it'll be using the phone's GPS receiver, but for a PC or laptop it's relying on the internet service provider to tell it where it is. Depending on the service provider, this can be a long way out. For example, when I click on that button, it shows that I'm in Penrith in Sydney's western suburbs:

image.png.d79a6975c9959fa2ea7be07b0eace8b5.png

That's about 60km from where I really am but happens to be where my service provider has their offices.

• Helpful 2

What an utterly useless thing if the posting person says is true, e.g. the browser location.  In my case it shows me a good 70kms away from where I physically am.  I know my profile is correct home location.  Common sense (heaven forbid they use that) says go off your home location.  Then the have users navigate.  I know for a fact my ISP has centers closer.  In fact I can guarantee where the map thinks  I am, there is NO WAY my ISP has any sort of location center there.

Wouldn't it be lovely if HQ actually read and responded to bug reports?  Must be graduates of Google.

• Love 1

There's no need to be insulting. We read, but generally only respond when there is need, such as multiple reports of an issue. One-offs will almost never get a response. For that kind of service, you should report your issue through the Help Center at http://www.geocaching.com/help .

When I spoof log in as you, the map centers for me at close to GC7HF52, which is one of your caches. Then, if I tell it to locate me by browser location (by clicking the map control that looks like a target), it places me at where my home is currently, in Eastern Washington.

Is there a chance that you are accessing the map with a saved link that is specifying other coordinates than your home?

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Moun10Bike said:

There's no need to be insulting. We read, but generally only respond when there is need, such as multiple reports of an issue. One-offs will almost never get a response. For that kind of service, you should report your issue through the Help Center at http://www.geocaching.com/help .

When I spoof log in as you, the map centers for me at close to GC7HF52, which is one of your caches. Then, if I tell it to locate me by browser location (by clicking the map control that looks like a target), it places me at where my home is currently, in Eastern Washington.

Is there a chance that you are accessing the map with a saved link that is specifying other coordinates than your home?

Oh please, there are plenty of instances where people (users) have complained and you do not listen.  Yes I am aware of how it works.  Read my comment, it should default to your home location on record.  That is my exact point.  Thank you for confirming the lack of reading and action on the end.  Yes, issues have been reported, guess what...NO RESPONSE.  On the topic of insulting, I hardly need to be told how to use a browser and click on links and features.

Edited by Calcows
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
7 minutes ago, Calcows said:

Read my comment, it should default to your home location on record.  That is my exact point.  Thank you for confirming the lack of reading and action on the end.

If you re-read my post, you will see that I am saying that when I spoof log in as you, the map is centering on your home coordinates as you are saying it should. The fact that it isn't for you thus indicates to me that there is something on your end of things that is causing the issue. I'd normally be willing to work with you to figure that out, but you apparently feel it is more important to insult and ridicule. Have a good day!

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3
19 minutes ago, Moun10Bike said:

If you re-read my post, you will see that I am saying that when I spoof log in as you, the map is centering on your home coordinates as you are saying it should. The fact that it isn't for you thus indicates to me that there is something on your end of things that is causing the issue. I'd normally be willing to work with you to figure that out, but you apparently feel it is more important to insult and ridicule. Have a good day!

NO, you read what I wrote.  I am telling you, the view that shows on opening the map is NOT NOT NOT MY HOME COORDINATES.  It does not show my how, until I click the the home location.  Then it is fine.  I am saying, you should NOT have to do this, the map should automatically open at your profile home location.  Not some distance away.  Obviously, if you review the thread and others, I am NOT the only person.  BTW, I am very familiar in my profession of ERP System, programming etc. on proper ways things should be.   Now, if you folks can fix the issue or have a selection to "use default profile location" like others have asked, that would be useful.  I am not explaining or conversing any longer on this topic. e.g. remove the link function at bottom right period.

Edited by Calcows
  • Surprised 1