What are preloaded geocaches and how do I use them

JakkandGamma

I recently purchased a Garmin eTrex 22x after using an older model.   I was excited about the "preloaded geoches" but I can't figure out how to find them or use them.   In fact I am having a difficult time getting this new model figured out at all.   What is shown in the videos and what it says in the users guide does not happen on my model.  I can't even get it to find Nevada when I am trying to put in an address!   Any help would be much appreciated.

You may need to be closer than 60 miles to the coordinates of a loaded Geocache, for it to automatically appear.  I'm guessing the listings are pretty out-of-date.  It might be better to look up caches you'd like to find, and load them onto the device.  Do you have Garmin Express set up?  That's how you can quickly load a cache file by clicking a button on the web site, plus it's how you get Garmin updates.

Another option is to download GPX files and place them into the [Drive]:/Garmin/GPX folder

Are there a lot of pre-loaded files in that folder?  The limit seems to be 5000 Geocaches.  If it's full of caches around the world from where you hunt caches, that won't do any good.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Thanks to both of you....this is how lost I am, I can't even FIND a folder with the preloaded caches, so I don't know how to delete them......is it on the device?  or what?    What is involved in setting up Garmin Express.   I am very frustrated with the "directions" that came with the device.  They seem to think I have a lot more prior knowledge than I do.  

19 minutes ago, JakkandGamma said:

Thanks to both of you....this is how lost I am, I can't even FIND a folder with the preloaded caches, so I don't know how to delete them......is it on the device?  or what?    What is involved in setting up Garmin Express.   I am very frustrated with the "directions" that came with the device.  They seem to think I have a lot more prior knowledge than I do.  

Plug the Garmin GPS into a USB port, and it shows up as a "drive".  Use the Windows File Explorer to navigate to [Drive]:/Garmin/GPS folder, to see the files.   If you've set your system to display file extensions, individual cache files show up like "GC89W75.GPX".

Here's the Garmin Express page:  https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=IB1TjAKZso2F6mKr3hYqy9

That's useful for getting software updates from Garmin.  Plus the "Send To Garmin" button (such as the button you may find on the map page) allows sending one cache directly to the device.

44 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Use the Windows File Explorer to navigate to [Drive]:/Garmin/GPS folder

You'd better look for [Drive]:/Garmin/GGZ folder. After deleting the GGZ file, the device may behave as if it were hanging. In fact, it only takes some time for internal deletions.

Re. Address searching: You'll need to have at least one installed map (like Garmin City Navigator, OSM maps, etc.) to be able for doing an address search.

11 minutes ago, HHL said:

You'd better look for [Drive]:/Garmin/GGZ folder. After deleting the GGZ file, the device may behave as if it were hanging. In fact, it only takes some time for internal deletions.

Re. Address searching: You'll need to have at least one installed map (like Garmin City Navigator, OSM maps, etc.) to be able for doing an address search.

Yes, anything in the GGZ folder is a candidate for deletion.  And then the main folder for most users to manage cache files is "[Drive]:/Garmin/GPX".