logging a trackable

dbrents

My daughter and I were recently traveling across country and grabbed a trackable in Colby, Kansas. She logged it and the records now say, as they should, that I have it. I want to now put it in a trackable hotel cache (cache made especially for trackables, etc) . But how do I log that I have now placed it somewhere? I see logs for this trackable that X-person took the trackable from some place and then the next is where the same person dropped the trackable in a new place.  Am I making this too difficult? 

2 hours ago, dbrents said:

Am I making this too difficult? 

Yep.  :)     

If you're talking about "snowflake", you Retrieved it.   It's in your possession, or "in the hands of dbrents". 

When you get to the cache you want to leave the trackable in, you simply use the "Drop" action.  Your log will say where you "placed" it.

It seems you're looking at the "Visit" (took it to...) actions of others.   

- Something I don't feel is a good idea until you get the hang of this cache-to-cache part of the hobby a bit more.  

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 3/28/2020 at 8:02 PM, cerberus1 said:

Yep.  :)     

If you're talking about "snowflake", you Retrieved it.   It's in your possession, or "in the hands of dbrents". 

When you get to the cache you want to leave the trackable in, you simply use the "Drop" action.  Your log will say where you "placed" it.

It seems you're looking at the "Visit" (took it to...) actions of others.   

- Something I don't feel is a good idea until you get the hang of this cache-to-cache part of the hobby a bit more.  

two questions: 1, Is it possible to follow the trackable on its journey.  And where it comes from , because  want to avoid putting it accidentally back where it come from. 

2, Can i put the trackable in any cache or only special trackable caches or hotels? Because sometimes  the caches or discriptions include " no trackables" stickers or signs.

2 hours ago, ArmanddeF said:

two questions: 1, Is it possible to follow the trackable on its journey.  And where it comes from , because  want to avoid putting it accidentally back where it come from. 

2, Can i put the trackable in any cache or only special trackable caches or hotels? Because sometimes  the caches or discriptions include " no trackables" stickers or signs.

1.  Yes. Check out the TBs page. It will show the caches it has been to, and the logs.

TBs are to "Travel" it doesn't really matter if it goes to a cache it has already been to!

2. They can go in any cache (that is large enough to take it!) but if a cache or description says "No TBs" please respect that, as the cache owner may know that the TB wont be safe in there.

14 minutes ago, Bear and Ragged said:

1.  Yes. Check out the TBs page. It will show the caches it has been to, and the logs.

TBs are to "Travel" it doesn't really matter if it goes to a cache it has already been to!

You can also add a trackable to your watchlist the same way you might add a cache to your watchlist. In the upper right corner of the trackable page, there is a menu with a link to watch the trackable.

14322667_ScreenShot2020-04-08at7_56_13AM.png.fe6b649d2b680d9be6cfea47ccf5f635.png

• Helpful 1

1 - Sure.  You can watch it on it's journey (if you'd like), by hitting "Watch this trackable item" on the trackable's page, under "Trackable Options".

There's also a map to view it's journey as well.  Simply hit "View Map" next to Tracking History (just above the last log).

2 - Often a CO will realize that a cache isn't "safe" for trackables, and will say so on their cache page.   Reasons vary.  Read the description.

Some also may want to stay away from the drama that often happens when a trackable turns up missing by it's owner.

- But a trackable can go into any cache  that has the size to accept it.   It helps if you apply some common sense too.

Many questions might be answered by reading the Help Center's informative section on Trackables.     :)

• Helpful 1